IGNORED

Bibio - Mind Bokeh

Guest viscosity

It seems Bibio is hitting the point that some musicians often do, where they start to move away a bit from the sound that established them and their subsequent fanbase. It must be a tricky situation to be in, but they must be allowed to explore different (ambivalence) avenues. I love Fi, and if Bibio (hand) cranked out another album tomorrow that stuck with that sound, I'd be delighted. If he did stick with the Fi sound, however, I can guarantee that he'd start getting flack for sounding samey all the time and not being adventurous.

Damned if he does, damned if he doesn't.

Exactly. It's strange to hear the cries of "sell out! hipster!" when the guy is (most likely) just writing the kind of music he wants and trying on new ideas... I love his output all the way from fi to AA*, can't wait to hear Bokeh.

• Replies 276
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Reminds me a little of the fuss over d'Demonstrator. If people want 'Fi' and 'Hand Cranked' (and I'd never knock them for that), just go back to those albums. Personally I think he went as far as he could with that sound of those albums and obviously felt the need to develop, which I certainly think he has without losing sight completely of where he started out (and those first two albums are hardly inaccessible). I don't expect this new album to be nearly as good as AA and VTC, but that's only because those two were exceptional to my mind. I still think it'll be great and maybe the best album on Warp this year (unless they finally unleash Scintilli).

And I don't understand why people get so bent over hipsters, there are bigger threats to civilisation.

I hear the exact same heart and soul in these samples as in all his other releases. Dude really obviously loves crafting music and it shows in everything he does. It seems ludicrous to me that people think he is selling out or going mainstream after hearing a 2 minute sampler.

Can't fucking wait!!

Anyway, who cares what the hipsters will like.

Of course. They're all over BoC, yet you'll never see a shortage of love coming from anyone because of that.

It's nice to see someone who deserves the recognition get it.

have you seen evidence that hipsters are all over boc?

i would like confirmation of this, we dont have many hipsters where i live

I don't even know anyone that would be considered a hipster, honestly. Just saying that I've seen a bunch of people online that are into Bawk that seemed hipsterish.

Hell, it's not even a bad thing.

I don't know that BoC ever caught on with hipsters. The two sides of digital hipsterdom are pitchfork and hipster runoff, and there has never been much talk about BoC there, mostly because they can't be touched. Its the same with AE and Aphex and the like, so they get ignored by HRO, and PF writes inflated reviews of some albums and gives them a score of 6. It's a different world, where music is for status and not listening.

i think the only thing the hipsters have access to are the boc ripoffs like black moth rainbow and the chill wave stuff..

Wait, BMSR are a Boards ripoff? When did this happen? That's hilarious.

I consider Tobacco to be equal parts Tim and Eric's Awesome Show Great Job and BoC. BMSR and Tobacco's solo stuff doesn't sound identical to BoC, but if you analyze it, it can get pretty close.

It seems Bibio is hitting the point that some musicians often do, where they start to move away a bit from the sound that established them and their subsequent fanbase. It must be a tricky situation to be in, but they must be allowed to explore different (ambivalence) avenues. I love Fi, and if Bibio (hand) cranked out another album tomorrow that stuck with that sound, I'd be delighted. If he did stick with the Fi sound, however, I can guarantee that he'd start getting flack for sounding samey all the time and not being adventurous.

Damned if he does, damned if he doesn't.

Exactly. It's strange to hear the cries of "sell out! hipster!" when the guy is (most likely) just writing the kind of music he wants and trying on new ideas... I love his output all the way from fi to AA*, can't wait to hear Bokeh.

I agree, I have liked everything he has put out, Fi being my favorite, the only hiccup being Apple and the Tooth, which has some great remixes on it, namely lone, wax stag, letherette, and keaver & brause. Bokeh sounds fresh and exciting to me, and I don't care if he has hipster cred either, (which he really does). I do think it is useful to discuss the different spheres of music listeners though. It didn't bother me until now, because hipsters are finally picking up on electronic music. A few years ago it was all Wolf Parade and Arcade Fire with some of the earlier freak folk stuff.

I agree with the support of this sounding good and letting Bibio do what he wants to do. Damned if he does, damned if he doesn't - truth.

But damn enough with this hipster bullshit...who gives a fuck what "they" listen to and why that even has any effect on what YOU listen to.

Of course. They're all over BoC, yet you'll never see a shortage of love coming from anyone because of that.

I don't even know anyone that would be considered a hipster, honestly. Just saying that I've seen a bunch of people online that are into Bawk that seemed hipsterish.

I don't know that BoC ever caught on with hipsters. The two sides of digital hipsterdom are pitchfork and hipster runoff, and there has never been much talk about BoC there, mostly because they can't be touched. Its the same with AE and Aphex and the like, so they get ignored by HRO, and PF writes inflated reviews of some albums and gives them a score of 6. It's a different world, where music is for status and not listening.

i think the only thing the hipsters have access to are the boc ripoffs like black moth rainbow and the chill wave stuff..

I consider Tobacco to be equal parts Tim and Eric's Awesome Show Great Job and BoC. BMSR and Tobacco's solo stuff doesn't sound identical to BoC, but if you analyze it, it can get pretty close.

:facepalm:

The only thing BMSR has in common with BoC, at all, is a portamento on some vintage detuned synths. I can't even believe somebody hears the two groups in such a similar way that one can be seen as a "ripoff" of the other. This would be like me trying to say Kiss ripped AC/DC off because they both used distorted major chords through a Marshall stack. Can you even name one Boards track besides maybe "1969" that has vocoder vocals all over it?

Sorry, I don't even really love Tobacco or all of the post-Start A People BMSR stuff, but this is just so way off to me.

I agree with the support of this sounding good and letting Bibio do what he wants to do. Damned if he does, damned if he doesn't - truth.

But damn enough with this hipster bullshit...who gives a fuck what "they" listen to and why that even has any effect on what YOU listen to.

this topic comes up a lot here

the problem with hipsters for me isnt that htey listen to the music i like. its when they pull something i like into their spectrum and then people outside the trend who havent heard the music before shun it and dont give it a proper chance...

they will listen to something and automatically think negatively about it no matter what because they are already biased and dont want to be part of the trend..

its not to do with the actual hipsters its to do with the non hipsters who would otherwise be open minded to good music..

The only thing BMSR has in common with BoC, at all, is a portamento on some vintage detuned synths. I can't even believe somebody hears the two groups in such a similar way that one can be seen as a "ripoff" of the other. This would be like me trying to say Kiss ripped AC/DC off because they both used distorted major chords through a Marshall stack. Can you even name one Boards track besides maybe "1969" that has vocoder vocals all over it?

Sorry, I don't even really love Tobacco or all of the post-Start A People BMSR stuff, but this is just so way off to me.

the whole 'vintage' thing is becoming quite the trend... probably why BOC isnt going to release another album. copiers have filled the gap with mediocre bs

bmsr and tycho and bibio and tons more take a lot of influence from boc, and its extremely obvious, i dont know how you cant see it

bibio is starting to find his own style though which i enjoy, but its still heavily influenced by the boc sound.

the whole 'vintage' thing is becoming quite the trend... probably why BOC isnt going to release another album. copiers have filled the gap with mediocre bs

bmsr and tycho and bibio and tons more take a lot of influence from boc, and its extremely obvious, i dont know how you cant see it

bibio is starting to find his own style though which i enjoy, but its still heavily influenced by the boc sound.

Taking influence does not equal being a ripoff though. Influences are unavoidable, aping someone's sound is. I'm not even going to get on either bandwagon here because I do not think Bibio has anything to do with the Boards, and I think a band like BMSR have nearly nothing in common with them either.

Hell, even your starting point is a juvenile one to make: You really think a band like BoC who have been making music for decades now will "hang up their hat" as soon as some so-called imitators come along? Or if the stuff they're doing is more in-trend? Any band who thinks that way must be made up of emotional little children.

I dunno about any of this. I do like BMSR and Tobacco. They're fun but I don't get religious about them. Bibio is a talented guy with a good ear for melodies, and I bet he could write a good song in just about any style.

That said, call me when all of this "hynagogic" "nostalgic" "chillwave" stuff fades away. It's not genuine or interesting anymore.

I heard a demo version of the song Talamak by Toro Y Moi which didn't have that fuzzy chillwave production all over it and honestly, I thought it was pretty good. No cheap gimmick, just a good track. I think it was posted on Tycho's blog.

You don't have to see it. I never said rip off either. You have art the siphons from other art, which is fine i suppose, but then you have art that draws its power from somewhere else, and BoC have mined so much of these outer resources. Many artists are just now starting to find these reserves-they were left for listeners until now. So just because the two aren't identical in sonority doesn't mean BMSR isn't running off of the same juice, albeit a cheapened brew. When you have listened to boc like I have, you know, 100%, when someone is getting in their territory. I'm not even saying it's such a bad thing either.

Also, "In a Beautiful Place out in the Country" has "vocoder vocals all over it."

• 2 weeks later...

Some of this sounds alright, funky but the song at 51 seconds imo is terrible.

But i will wait and see when its out, give it a proper listen but that shit song better not ruin everything.

It sounds like a song you would hear in the background of a Skins Advertisement.

Archived