IGNORED

Bibio - Mind Bokeh

Guest viscosity

:mellow: You're all aware thats a photoshop right?

Anyway, who cares what the hipsters will like. You all care to much about image and not that the sampler sounds really nice, and a bit varied.

• Replies 276
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest AcrossCanyons

:mellow: You're all aware thats a photoshop right?

Anyway, who cares what the hipsters will like. You all care to much about image and not that the sampler sounds really nice, and a bit varied.

I'm pretty sure everybody knows that's a shop...

Anyway - sampler all sounds GREAT! Really can't wait.

Pitchfork will masterbate over "Take Your Shirt Off"...

Bibio could get almost get MGMT "big" with this one.

You spoke too soon...

lilbibs.jpg

Nooo Bibio nooooooooooo! Dont go over to the darkside :ohmy:

racistlol

Sounds VERY commercial.

"Take Your Shirt Off" a hipster hit!

yeah. i'm not feeling the sampler at all. ? sounds pretty boring really and i don't like his voice (if that is his voice?).

as you can tell, i'm not much of a Bibio fan. *shrug*

You spoke too soon...

lilbibs.jpg

is it me or does Bibio look like Jack Black's love child?

Guest Gravity

Anyway, who cares what the hipsters will like.

Of course. They're all over BoC, yet you'll never see a shortage of love coming from anyone because of that.

It's nice to see someone who deserves the recognition get it.

I'm probably alone here but I'm not impressed with the path he's taken since Ambivalence Avenue. I think I only listened to it maybe half a dozen times. The last good thing he released was the Ovals & Emeralds EP. i really liked the older stuff where he had carved out a really nice, almost unique little niche sound.

The new stuff sounds so commercial and frankly, unmemorable. He kind of sounds like all the other hyped artists on Warp. I guess he worked out people like this new style better than the low-fi stuff he did on his first few releases. He's still a great artist though and he seems pretty prolific - obviously a talented guy.

Of course. They're all over BoC, yet you'll never see a shortage of love coming from anyone because of that.

have you seen evidence that hipsters are all over boc?

i would like confirmation of this, we dont have many hipsters where i live

Guest Gravity

I don't even know anyone that would be considered a hipster, honestly. Just saying that I've seen a bunch of people online that are into Bawk that seemed hipsterish.

Hell, it's not even a bad thing.

Guest reyde_espana

You spoke too soon...

lilbibs.jpg

ill count that as semi racist...

:facepalm:

I don't even know anyone that would be considered a hipster, honestly. Just saying that I've seen a bunch of people online that are into Bawk that seemed hipsterish.

I don't know that BoC ever caught on with hipsters. The two sides of digital hipsterdom are pitchfork and hipster runoff, and there has never been much talk about BoC there, mostly because they can't be touched. Its the same with AE and Aphex and the like, so they get ignored by HRO, and PF writes inflated reviews of some albums and gives them a score of 6. It's a different world, where music is for status and not listening.

I don't know that BoC ever caught on with hipsters. The two sides of digital hipsterdom are pitchfork and hipster runoff, and there has never been much talk about BoC there, mostly because they can't be touched. Its the same with AE and Aphex and the like, so they get ignored by HRO, and PF writes inflated reviews of some albums and gives them a score of 6. It's a different world, where music is for status and not listening.

i think the only thing the hipsters have access to are the boc ripoffs like black moth rainbow and the chill wave stuff..

OMG HIPSTER LIKE MY FAVOURITE BAND!

Im going to have to rethink my whole life.

lol

Guest Gravity

OMG HIPSTER LIKE MY FAVOURITE BAND!

Im going to have to rethink my whole life.

lol

There should be a program that constantly checks bands you like against known hipster sites and forums. It'll send you an alert as soon as things start getting out of control.

Anyone into programming?

The sampler sounds really good.

It's kinda funny listening to people complain about Bibio "popping up" his sound. Everything I heard on that sampler has distinct parallels to stuff in Bibio's back catalogue. It literally sounds like Ambivalence Avenue 2.

Guest bitroast

The sampler sounds really good.

It's kinda funny listening to people complain about Bibio "popping up" his sound. Everything I heard on that sampler has distinct parallels to stuff in Bibio's back catalogue. It literally sounds like Ambivalence Avenue 2.

it sounds alot like the bibio tracks on apple and the tooth, which were really really good!

i think the only thing the hipsters have access to are the boc ripoffs like black moth rainbow and the chill wave stuff..

Wait, BMSR are a Boards ripoff? When did this happen? That's hilarious.

Also I don't think this sounds like AA part 2 either. I haven't enjoyed Bibio's output very much since Hand Cranked, if I'm totally honest with myself, and this record to my ears sounds like he's finally got some cohesive party tracks going without trying to "genre hop" too much like AA did (i.e. a folk song here, something all wonky beat there, something poppy next, then something ambient). It isn't that I don't like when Bibio does those things, I just think I prefer consistency over quantity in his case. Otherwise I just go back to a handful of tracks on an album at any one time, and don't listen to the whole thing at once.

It seems Bibio is hitting the point that some musicians often do, where they start to move away a bit from the sound that established them and their subsequent fanbase. It must be a tricky situation to be in, but they must be allowed to explore different (ambivalence) avenues. I love Fi, and if Bibio (hand) cranked out another album tomorrow that stuck with that sound, I'd be delighted. If he did stick with the Fi sound, however, I can guarantee that he'd start getting flack for sounding samey all the time and not being adventurous.

Damned if he does, damned if he doesn't.

I like what he's doing now a lot better. He can write good tunes and if he has the talent to do that, he'd be smart not to squander it.

3 albums of "hypnagogic" guitar loops were good, but there's 3 of them. 4 would be overkill.

Guest Archrival

MAXIMUS is onpoint as usual...also Sheatheman is telling the truth, Bibio FI is genuine art from the heart while this sounds like a product that is made to sell and gain the casual fans (and I bet WARP is telling him to do more stuff like this), I dont blame him at all. He released 3 fantastic albums plus a lovely EP, let his ego shine a bit on WARP, hell I would probably do the same so who am I to judge him.

Archived