IGNORED

"Indie" music thread

Capsaicin

Here is where WATMM can talk about Animal Collective, Grizzly Bear, Vampire Weekend, Deerhunter, or any other bands that can be even slightly considered "indie rock".

I'm downloading the new album by The Decemberists, which I am quite looking forward to hearing. After it's done I'm going to download Logos by Atlas Sound because a lot of my friends seem to enjoy it and it was released on Kranky.

I thought I went out and bought the new Decemberists album the other day, only to discover about 10 minutes ago that it was one they released in 2009. So it's like I'm getting two new Decemberist albums in one week(ish). I enjoy a large percentage of the major label bands considered "indie". Bon Iver, Grizzly Bear, Animal Collective, Arcade Fire, TV On the Radio... is The National considered indie? It's a good time for experimental pop music... that's what the term seems to refer to.

Guest ansgaria

If this thread is going to work, people are to agree on what they consider 'indie'. Is it the actual independent artists or the 'other' indie?

And saying that haters are not allowed is like saying that other strong opinions are not welcome.

Here is where WATMM can talk about Animal Collective, Grizzly Bear, Vampire Weekend, Deerhunter, or any other bands that can be even slightly considered "indie rock".

i would consider those guys sort of mainstream alternative.

in the UK this is considered indie..

so yeah, lets clarify what "indie" means in this thread..

i'm a sucker for indie, but it usually dies fast, i listen to an album during a month or so then i quit...

however, these 2 albums by bright eyes will never die!!!

[youtubehd]iZc2ylAwRf8[/youtubehd]

[youtubehd]I3FqHWZ4IIc[/youtubehd]

Guest disparaissant

i've had a bit of a falling out with "indie" lately. not a fan of most of the stuff coming out recently, though in fairness that's mostly because i haven't really felt the urge to actually check any of it out.

i never get sick of built to spill though. ever:

perfect from now on is a 10/10 in my book.

Guest disparaissant

indie doesn't mean independent anymore. it's the same as alternative now. alternative is the status quo, indie is the alternative to alternative.

god genre names are so stupid (she says posting on a board dedicated to 'braindance')

WATMM your electronic music resourse

but then everything is electronic, really.. if it uses electricity.

ps. indie isn't very good these days.

i listened to indie type music most around 2000-2003. I only listen to a few now. I'm not really into it but there are some that i'll hear and think, "this aint bad!"

I'd like to also add Of Montreal, Malajube, Neutral Milk Hotel, Hayden, Chad Van Gaalen, Broken Social Scene and Zeus to my list of "indie" goodness. And yes, it is an imaginary genre title that couldn't be more vague or nonsensical. Oh yeah, and the Stars album Set Yourself on Fire was really good, though I couldn't stomach their follow-up release.

perfect from now on is a 10/10 in my book.

everyone always sucks perfect from now on's dick, but i prefer there's nothing wrong with love tbh..

Me too, that and Keep It Like a Secret are my favorite BtS releases. Perfect From Now On is pretty great, but it just drags sometimes - despite it's amazing moments.

Archived