IGNORED

Inflamed hair follicle

Dragon

So I got back from the GP today. I've been put on antibiotics for a painful infection. I have an inflamed hair follicle, known as folliculitis, and as a result, I have a big red bulge, "about the size of a large marble", sticking out of my barse. You know, the space at the top of your arse cheeks, at the base of the spine.

I've experienced this before, last June. Sitting down or moving around in bed is pretty much impossible without discomfort and/or immense pain. The antibiotics should help if last time was anything to go by, but they also mean that I'm eating a lot less; I can't eat for an hour before or after a dose, which is taken four times a day.

Last time this happened, the bulge or "pustule" actually burst, leaking red stuff everywhere. I'm really scared it could happen again. Needless to say, shit sucks right now, and I'm just trying to look at the better side of things.

Does anyone know why this is happening to me, or if there's anything I can do to stop it from happening again? Even if you don't have all the answers, it was worth starting this thread just to get this off my chest, so thanks for listening.

Does anyone know why this is happening to me, or if there's anything I can do to stop it from happening again? Even if you don't have all the answers, it was worth starting this thread just to get this off my chest, so thanks for listening.

From a philosophical point of view? Or do you mean biologically?

I've read it happens more to males.The likelihood of suffering from this increases with the amount of sitting down one does.Eventually antibiotics lose any effect they may have had at first so if you suffer afterwards with these they can turn into painful abcesses that,if infected,become open and have to be drained and packed every day before they heal.

Extended periods of sitting are bad for just about every part of your body.Move often if youre sitting in front of your pc for a long time and drink plenty of water.A healthy diet will also help,as will scrupulous attention to cleanliness.

I've read it happens more to males.The likelihood of suffering from this increases with the amount of sitting down one does.Eventually antibiotics lose any effect they may have had at first so if you suffer afterwards with these they can turn into painful abcesses that,if infected,become open and have to be drained and packed every day before they heal.

Extended periods of sitting are bad for just about every part of your body.Move often if youre sitting in front of your pc for a long time and drink plenty of water.A healthy diet will also help,as will scrupulous attention to cleanliness.

You had to go finish with a dig didnt you?

As you say, it's quite a common thing. Must be painful though. What often happens is that after you get it the infection goes and leaves a sinus space, which is liable to infecting again (and bite you on the arse :emotawesomepm9: ). This is called pilonidal disease. Google is your friend, and it might be worth speaking to your GP about it. I think that often it's just a case of needing a course of antibiotics, but sometimes surgery is required.

It's best to try and keep yourself dry and clean back there. If the infection is really painful then use hot towels/flannels, they really help.

I had one of these about ten years ago, thankfully not one since. Was put on antibiotics and it burst a few days later. The amount of pus and blood it produced was unbelievable, completely soaked my pyjama bottoms.

What made it worse though was I initially thought I had just bruised a muscle, and covered the whole area in an anti-inflammatory cream. Then had an allergic reaction that stripped off the top layer of skin which meant that at night my bum cheeks began to graft together. Had to get up every few hours to prise them apart... quite painful.

Guest Franklin

jesus, at first i thot you were being a pussy but after that wiki article I've re-thot that.

must be awful to have to fucking spread your ass cheeks to your doctor too.

tits or gtfo

I've got a persistent nipple-shaped mucocele on my lower lip, and a smaller nipple shaped one on the inside of my cheek, does that count?

Also, halp XXX

srsly, plz make them go away

I had exactly the same thing in the summer. Conveniently whilst I was on holiday and due to go to a waterpark. Not going to fucking happen.

I'd had the lump on my arse for at least a year and it never really aggreviated me until this one month when it ballooned overnight into a golf-ball of red, pulsing puss.

It eventually burst by itself releasing a dark red matter that stank like vinegar. I would squeeze (drain) it regularly but it would always come back angrier than ever.

It also burst on the flight back, which I've probably already posted about here. Wearing my last pair of shorts, which were white maddeningly, I sat there for 2+ hours feeling like I'd pissed myself. I got out of the seat which I'm sure I'd left in a biohazardous state and had to waddle to the car in freezing temperatures trying to pull my hoodie over my red arse.

I took a weeks' worth of anti-biotics which took the swelling down, but at that point it was already broken and draining. It was going to relax anyway, but I guess the anti-biotics helped to fight any further infection that might arise.

I still have a grey patch on my arse though, with what I can feel is an empty sack of spot-puss. It's just waiting the fill up again, I know it.

My advice: stick a scalpel in it early. For almost a year I knew it was there and told a doctor once but he said that nothing could be done.

Well, yeah, I shouldn't have said that really. I clearly never went ahead with the home-surgery either because I could imagine a hundred ways in which I'd fuck myself up even worse.

For one: I could have hit a big blood-vessel and embarassingly sprayed blood out of my arse and all over the bidet.

tits or gtfo

I've got a persistent nipple-shaped mucocele on my lower lip, and a smaller nipple shaped one on the inside of my cheek, does that count?

Also, halp XXX

srsly, plz make them go away

I mean, it's a pretty nondescript presentation. It sounds like herpes. I don't mean to be alarmist or joke around but...would need more information!

Well, it looks more or less like the exemplar pic on this wikipedia page: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mucocele

Although my teeth are much whiter. And there's a much smaller one on the inside of my right cheek, right between my teeth, in prime biting range. Both seemed to have appeared after "local trauma"-- some accidental biting of the areas during normal dining activities. Both, and the one on the lip in particular, are variable in size and shrink slightly and then seem to fill up a few days later. No pain or itching, although they get irritated if I bite them again, which given the size and location, is unfortunately somewhat unavoidable. The one on my lip is about 1.5 weeks old, the one on the cheek is about a year old (that one is smaller and much less variable--maybe a bit of scar tissue going on).

Rinsing mouth with salt water before bed seems to shrink the lip one slightly by the time I examine it in the morning, but it's definitely not disappearing.

The lip one varies from pink to slightly bluish, and once, after eating hot and spicy food, it developed a little clear mini bubble on top which grew and then receded completely by morning, and freaked me the hell out in the process.

I've read these can be drained with sterile needles but sometimes require surgical removal. Of course, I have no health insurance. It fucking sucks. They're noticeable only to me, unless I pull out my lip and point them out, but I feel gross and they're really annoying, especially given the repeat bitings due to location, which blow them up much much more.

Archived