IGNORED

Ok so I'm not really one for Disney films but Tangled

springymajig

I went as part of a work trip (I teach animation) with very low expectations. The trailers make this look like Shrek part 7 or something and I was not looking forward to it... however, the art book is absolutely beautiful so I assumed it'd at least look pretty.

But I actually ended up liking it quite a bit. It took me a while to get into but I enjoyed it.

Then I watched it again recently, with less skepticism in mind and now I friggin love it.

I think the things that make it great are:

1) The humour is mostly quite subtle and low key, there's not a lot of HEY EVERYONE LOOK HERE'S A JOKE HAHA HILARIOUS POP CULTURE REFERENCE (in fact there's NO pop culture references if I remember right).

2) The "acting" (in terms of animation) is SUPERB... anyone who has any kind of interest in the technical side of animation can at least appreciate this. There's a scene where there's no dialogue, just Rapunzel's mother and father looking forlorn, and even though her father doesn't have a single line and probably has about 1 minute total screen time, he is one of my favourite characters (just cos he's animated so beautifully). Animation is a visual medium and even more than live action, animated films should be told visually, and this is a film that got this down really well.

3) As far as recent Disney films go, it had some pretty dark stuff... most of which is spoilery.

4) Not TOO many songs, and they weren't annoying... except maybe the first one.

Sorry for the animation rant but it's rare that I like a Disney film... and it's a CG one on top of it... I'm just so surprised that a film that seemed destined to be terrible is actually really good. Sure it ain't perfect but it's flaws are minor... I highly recommend it.

Guest bitroast

ooh. will have to remember this for when it's released on home media. the trailer didn't exactly have me sold, but if it's getting good reviews..

currently on a Pixar high. just finished ratatouille, watched toy story 2 last night. it's hard to stray away from the thought that pixar are at the top of the game when it comes to cgi films. very very satisfying stuff.

ooh. will have to remember this for when it's released on home media. the trailer didn't exactly have me sold, but if it's getting good reviews..

currently on a Pixar high. just finished ratatouille, watched toy story 2 last night. it's hard to stray away from the thought that pixar are at the top of the game when it comes to cgi films. very very satisfying stuff.

Yeah Pixar are where it's at. I'd love to work for Pixar... maybe in like... 10 years time I'll be really good... then I can send them a showreel or something and cross my fingers...

i had no interest because on the poster the characters had dreamworks eyebrows, but maybe i'll check it out

I know... but trust me it's not nearly as Dreamworksy as the marketing makes it seem!

one word.

'up'

stunning.

I found Up AMAZING for about half way through the film. As soon as the extra talking dogs showed up I started to hate it. The first dog was awesome, the rest were cringeworthy. Also, it didn't need a badguy. There were already enough conflicting forces to make enough drama between the old man and the boy. I cared about them, I didn't give a shit about whatever that waste of time character was. He was just a distraction from what was developing into a beautiful story. And then the dogs start flying planes and... :facepalm:

But that said... the opening sequence has got to be one of the most heart wrenching pieces of cinema ever created... It was perfect.

Yeah Pixar are where it's at. I'd love to work for Pixar... maybe in like... 10 years time I'll be really good... then I can send them a showreel or something and cross my fingers...

i had no interest because on the poster the characters had dreamworks eyebrows, but maybe i'll check it out

I know... but trust me it's not nearly as Dreamworksy as the marketing makes it seem!

one word.

'up'

stunning.

I found Up AMAZING for about half way through the film. As soon as the extra talking dogs showed up I started to hate it. The first dog was awesome, the rest were cringeworthy. Also, it didn't need a badguy. There were already enough conflicting forces to make enough drama between the old man and the boy. I cared about them, I didn't give a shit about whatever that waste of time character was. He was just a distraction from what was developing into a beautiful story. And then the dogs start flying planes and... :facepalm:

But that said... the opening sequence has got to be one of the most heart wrenching pieces of cinema ever created... It was perfect.

i think we're prolly on the same page regarding up.

the dogs flying planes does require a little suspension, however i do enjoy the various star wars references.

if you don't shed a tear at some point during the movie, then you're not remotely human.

plus the physics/artwork is breathtaking.

i watch a lot of animated stuff. my daughter is 3 and loves her films.

horton hears a who is pretty good if you haven't seen it.

if you don't shed a tear at some point during the movie, then you're not remotely human.

some bits of wall-e made me blub like a baby :cry:

wall e is equally outstanding.

kung fu panda was fucking rubbish btw.

I went as part of a work trip (I teach animation) with very low expectations. The trailers make this look like Shrek part 7 or something and I was not looking forward to it... however, the art book is absolutely beautiful so I assumed it'd at least look pretty.

But I actually ended up liking it quite a bit. It took me a while to get into but I enjoyed it.

Then I watched it again recently, with less skepticism in mind and now I friggin love it.

I think the things that make it great are:

1) The humour is mostly quite subtle and low key, there's not a lot of HEY EVERYONE LOOK HERE'S A JOKE HAHA HILARIOUS POP CULTURE REFERENCE (in fact there's NO pop culture references if I remember right).

2) The "acting" (in terms of animation) is SUPERB... anyone who has any kind of interest in the technical side of animation can at least appreciate this. There's a scene where there's no dialogue, just Rapunzel's mother and father looking forlorn, and even though her father doesn't have a single line and probably has about 1 minute total screen time, he is one of my favourite characters (just cos he's animated so beautifully). Animation is a visual medium and even more than live action, animated films should be told visually, and this is a film that got this down really well.

3) As far as recent Disney films go, it had some pretty dark stuff... most of which is spoilery.

4) Not TOO many songs, and they weren't annoying... except maybe the first one.

Sorry for the animation rant but it's rare that I like a Disney film... and it's a CG one on top of it... I'm just so surprised that a film that seemed destined to be terrible is actually really good. Sure it ain't perfect but it's flaws are minor... I highly recommend it.

i took my 4-year old daughter to see this and i couldn't agree more--it was excellent, for all the reasons you listed. this was my first time at a "new" 3d film (i think the last i saw was "captain eo" at disneyland) and it was great, really subtle, not 3d for 3d's sake. the animation was astounding, so rich and dense.

definitely recommended.

some bits of wall-e made me blub like a baby :cry:

wall e is equally outstanding.

Oh yeah Up made me cry a little at various points in the film. Wall-E was cool too... I think overall I liked it too but it also felt a little inconsistent. I do want to see Horton Hears a Who, I always forget about that one. I always go see Pixar films though. Except Cars, that one looked pretty lame.

i took my 4-year old daughter to see this and i couldn't agree more--it was excellent, for all the reasons you listed. this was my first time at a "new" 3d film (i think the last i saw was "captain eo" at disneyland) and it was great, really subtle, not 3d for 3d's sake. the animation was astounding, so rich and dense.

definitely recommended.

Oh yeah the 3D was very nicely done! It was noticable but not over the top... just the right balance. My favourite use of 3D on it was when Maximus, the horse, was stomping on the tree trying to stomp Flynn's fingers, and it was like a POV shot from Flynn and having the horse's hooves all 3D just added to how tense and funny it was... it was cool :)

And also...

when Flynn gets healed at the end, the magicy stuff looked really cool in 3D

*pinches self*

Pixar always go for the emotional punch but I typically find them overly manipulative. Ratatouille was good. Toy Story 3 was pretty good. The others are varying degrees of good and bad imo. I've ranted here about pixar before, my complaint basically boils down to they moralize too much and don't do a very good job of capturing wonder, beauty, exploration...they're all about duty, loyalty, fear of the unknown, growing up, growing old...not necessarily bad subjects but could be handled better, and not necessarily what I go to the movies for.

I thought the opening montage of Up was not good, too shrill and cliche, predictable. Different strokes I guess...

When a Pixar film can move me as much as Spirited Away, I'll be impressed.

Btw I thought Cars was fine, not worse than any other Pixar film, I think it's the subject matter that turns people off. Was a nice little film.

Don't capture wonder/beauty/exploration? Shit, Monsters Inc. was one of the most beautiful wondrous explorative films I've seen. It's a ridiculously amazing concept.

So is Cars! Oh now wait, let's forget about that one. Can't wait for the sequel, amirite?

Cars is fine - nothing wrong with it. It's a good little moral tale about working for something worth having. I think I've got just about everything Pixar have put out as well as most of the Dreamworks stuff - that's what having a five year old does. Even the five year old thought Kung Fu Panda was shit though.

Gotta checkout Megamind - I enjoyed Despicable Me for what it was, and despite all the very obvious flaws.

over the hedge is dreamworks right?

i enjoyed it, but it's not in the same league as nemo or up.

feelin' ya chen... we've got about 40 animated movies from the bottom (tinkerbell, open season, cloudy with a chance of meatballs, monsters vs aliens)... right up to the best of them as previously mentioned. my daughter loves her movies.

planet 51 is an ok watch too, though formulaic.

if i see cloudy w a c o meatballs again i'll fucking go postal though. (waco)

LOL it's been non-stop "despicable me" here, but yeah Cloudy was a big hit for a while. I didn't think Cloudy was bottom feeder - certainly nowhere near as bad as Tinkerbell and Monsters v. Aliens.

Gonna go for Megamind later today i think.

over the hedge is dreamworks right?

i enjoyed it, but it's not in the same league as nemo or up.

feelin' ya chen... we've got about 40 animated movies from the bottom (tinkerbell, open season, cloudy with a chance of meatballs, monsters vs aliens)... right up to the best of them as previously mentioned. my daughter loves her movies.

planet 51 is an ok watch too, though formulaic.

if i see cloudy w a c o meatballs again i'll fucking go postal though. (waco)

cloudy with meatballs is friggin awesome what the heck are you talkina bout

Oh Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs is definitely one of my favourite movies ever now... I absolutely adore it... it's just pure FUN! And it's really funny! It's up there with Pixar's best IMO... even though it's COMPLETELY different to what they do.

How to Train Your Dragon was pretty fantastic too except... the message kinda got watered down by the ending...

It was all like "violence is bad" but then they end up killing the big king dragon at the end... WHAT? There's a lot of people with that kind of attitude though... "violence is WRONG... unless it's against someone REALLY bad, then it's ok". A statement which means NOTHING.

Don't capture wonder/beauty/exploration? Shit, Monsters Inc. was one of the most beautiful wondrous explorative films I've seen. It's a ridiculously amazing concept.

it was a good concept. Except it took place almost entirely in a factory. And exemplifies the shrill, nagging, friends fighting then making up interpersonal friction stuff that Pixar seems hung up on...

Archived