IGNORED

Boxcutter - The Dissolve

Redruth

• 2 months later...

(damn watmm search sucks, I searched for Boxcutter - The Dissolve didn't find anything.)

it's out digitally btw. can't wait to listen. :)

Oooh this should be quite good... I love Boxcutter and the Balancing Lakes album he did under his own name was very enjoyable too

slowly making my way through the album in mumu... I'm digging it quite a bit, it's a lot less dubstep than his older works, which he had been kinda starting to move away from in Arecibo Message, and the Balancing Lakes album, in fact I'd say it reminds me more of Balancing Lakes than his other stuff as Boxcutter (this is a good thing IMO).

• 2 weeks later...
Guest sljiva

Had to bump this one, listened to it for the first time today and all I can say is AMAZING. Fanatastic mixture of trippy beats, funk, dense layered atmosphere, attractive synths and live instruments. These days it's fucking rare for an album to have a serious impact on me, but this one injected a new hope in my musical veins. Will buy.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Finally got around to this one a week and a half ago, so far it's decent enough but it needs time to grow... to his credit though I like where he's going, glyphic was so massive when it came out but dubstep is a barren wasteland these days...

Guest Coalbucket PI

I loved Oneiric but I think it got a bit boring within itself, let alone the whole dubstep scene going boring. Glyphic was too similar for me, although actually it was probably better. I really like the Philly/Endothermic single too but they all blur into one, that drum kit with all the rides is everywhere on those records.

Arecibo Message was great because it stretched things out a bit, the tempos are more varied and it dips into lots of styles. It's quite hard to describe but I feel like a few of the tracks never seem to quite get where they're going; when the tracks are at the loudest busiest sections they don't come together as well as they do when they are more stripped out in the intros. Particularly notice this on Mya Rave v2 which has an incredible build and drop and then drastically loses momentum.

I'm still not sure how much I like this one, although I definitely like it, I do like him moving between genres like this and using singing is working well for him. I think he might have a 10/10 record in him but I'm not sure he's there yet. Something about the way the tracks have such a strong dynamic and use a big spectrum of frequencies makes me think he could make a track that has a huge attention-grabbing impact like you get with some of the more epic Squarepusher or Amon Tobin tracks, but putting the album on I keep finding that it doesn't demand my attention. Maybe that's what he's going for though.

I haven't done such a chin-stroke ramble for a while, apologies

Archived