IGNORED

[WARPbot] LFO: ATP Presents... Made In Japan benefit concert, with Squarepusher, LFO, Fuck Buttons

Joyrex

ATP announce Made In Japan benefit concert, with Squarepusher, LFO and Fuck Buttons, plus a new, exclusive Autechre track as part of the ticket price.

More on Warp.net

LFO / ATP Presents... Made In Japan benefit concert, with Squarepusher, LFO, Fuck Buttons

Warp - Records - LFO - ATP Presents... Made In Japan benefit concert, with Squarepusher, LFO, Fuck Buttons
Connect with Warp, subscribe to the Mailing List and explore more RSS feeds here

View the full article

I'm quite surprised there is a huge lack of interested folk so far??? :shrug:

EDIT: And I haven't seen me free track. You can't ignore my emails forever you moneygrabbing bastards!

well regardless of the fact that i couldn't possibly attend this function, phudoshin pretty much nailed it. if sp is doing another solo electric bass noodling session, then that's kind of lame. if it's more in the style of the warp20 set, then that is indeed amazing.

regardless the lineup is killer (would love to see LFO live myself). you european folks have all the luck with these sorts of shows.

Guest teetime

Well i'll be there regardless with my trusty sonycam

:yeah:

Thank you very much! I would go if i could. Unfortante for me, there seem to be limits in both and time i will not able to break.

My Opinion on the live impro jam notation: The warp 20 sets were labeld as "rave n bass set". Because of the premixed Archive Material with Bass impro, that he does always anyway, i would hardly call it a live jam. Solo Electric Bass 2 then? Maybe some new kind of "pure 6 string bass" performance, perhaps with Reactor Patches(Ultravisitor 2011). But definitely no solo electric bass 2, because in solo electric bass he only played pre written compositions, no improv.

I also would not be suprised if he plays some sort of impro "jam" with band members of shobaleader one, or members of the charles hazlewood allstars.

Anyway i really appreciate he wants to do something special for Japan!

• 4 weeks later...

I was quite impressed with what I saw from Tom last night. I'd say just over half of it wasn't improvised though. But that's a plus for me.

The amount of fucking dry ice was incredible. It seemed like they were doing it so people couldn't film. For about half of it you couldn't even see the stage.

Didn't do too bad with the raffle prizes.

• Girls Portishead T-shirt
  • Old ATP poster
  • Tindersticks CD album

Overall a pretty good night. Shame it finished at 11 though.

Guest teetime

Anybody went there and recorded? Or has some more details about the set. The cryptic reports i read on twitter said it was some kind of prog rock metal( with alex thomas).

Guest ploom2

i endured squarepusher

i endured fuck buttons.

i endured lfo .. he has so many great tunes , played about 2 minutes of a sped up lfo loop near the end..the rest was a lot of thumpy stuff , i guess i prefer the early stuff and the slower tracks from the albums.It seemed similar to when i last saw him live ( i think it was support for recoil)

the dj played some good tunes though..

it was for charity..

Anybody went there and recorded? Or has some more details about the set. The cryptic reports i read on twitter said it was some kind of prog rock metal( with alex thomas).

Some of it was a bit too metal for me. But aside from that he played about 3-4 off of Shobaleader amougst others. Reinforces my thinking that the band is simply him.

My mate made a few videos. I'll post them up when he puts them on.

I can't say I was mad on the night in general, I've never heard Fuck Buttons before but the sound was awful during their set, all balanced wrong, very trebley and distorted.

N>E>D> played some good tunes but the transitions were pretty sketchy.

Squarepusher didn't really play much that excited me and again I think the sound was a bit of an issue. There was lots of Rocky/ slightly Metal kind of styled stuff which isn't really my favourite side of his work. He played Exciton which was pretty good although a punkier version which then flipped into a breakbeat led version more similar to the original. Alex drummed along to the breakbeats which is an aesthetic that doesn't quite work for me, I'd prefer my drums to be either live or sampled but I'm sure other peoples opinions differ from mine. There was quite a lot of aimless noodling which was a tad too meandering for my liking and a bit more Jungley / Hardcoresque breakbeats which sounding very promising but seemed to never really develop into a full tune. Tom got lots of applause whenever he played anything ravey. I'm not surprised his set was like this considering the way it was labelled but it had the capacity to be more fulfilling even if perhaps the sound had just been a bit better.

LFO didn't really do it for me either, lots of drums and Techno sounds but not enough melody and tunes, my friends enjoyed it but I've heard sets from him that captivated me more.

The night was generally pretty expensive too, The tickets were obviously quite pricey at £20 but since this was going to charity I wasn't too concerned, the same applies to the raffle tickets really they were £5 a pop but it was all for a good cause and the prizes were decent. Drinks were £4.30 a pint though and it was £2 for the cloakroom though so it all worked out pretty expensive. I guess the venue had to make their money somewhere though!

Sorry if this all seems a bit negative, I had higher hopes for my musical pleasure though! Bumped into Phudoshin in the crowd recording the action, would be interesting to hear Squarepusher's set again, perhaps I'll warm to it a bit more on further listens...!

Guest teetime

Some of it was a bit too metal for me. But aside from that he played about 3-4 off of Shobaleader amougst others. Reinforces my thinking that the band is simply him.

My mate made a few videos. I'll post them up when he puts them on.

That would be Great! Thank you very much.

Guest teetime
Bumped into Phudoshin in the crowd recording the action, would be interesting to hear Squarepusher's set again, perhaps I'll warm to it a bit more on further listens...!

Phudoshin! A man you can count on! You just made my day. :yeah:

Yo's working on the sound file today so should be up by this evening. Wasn't mad about the set myself either..... warp20 spoiled it for me i suppose!

Anyway I suspect i'll like it more on repeated listens. Megazine was played but I really missed the synths which weren't present as I think the synths on shobaleader are what really make it. Fucking love the live cover of Endless Nights being knocekd around yotube.... THATS what i taught we'd see at this show ..

Patience.. guys...the set is coming.

Ceelar Door nice to meet you..... what did you do after? We ended up at a d&B night till 6am in the city ... I was really looking forward to the lovebox gig..nuts

Guest teetime

Yo's working on the sound file today so should be up by this evening. Wasn't mad about the set myself either..... warp20 spoiled it for me i suppose!

Anyway I suspect i'll like it more on repeated listens. Megazine was played but I really missed the synths which weren't present as I think the synths on shobaleader are what really make it. Fucking love the live cover of Endless Nights being knocekd around yotube.... THATS what i taught we'd see at this show ..

Patience.. guys...the set is coming.

Ceelar Door nice to meet you..... what did you do after? We ended up at a d&B night till 6am in the city ... I was really looking forward to the lovebox gig..nuts

Thank you very very much! Happy Eastern Everybody.

I am glad that it is not just another warp 20 archive set. Against most of you i am not a huge fan of the repetitve "afx" and co ravey yet to be released archive material.

Archived