IGNORED

Solange - Left Side Drive

Guest GrandPopPoplock

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

fuck sake

"Omg she is soo unique!! I love the music she uses,, it makes you seem like your in another dimension!"

i honestly don't get it, I don't get the style of singing or why its so popular. R&B? rap and bullshit

Lol, good lad. Get it off your chest mate. I am inclined to agree with 95% of your post.

Same here - I've also read this youtube comment and ... yeah. :rolleyes: But you shouldn't hate on the entire genre of rap if you like BoC, lots of their older tracks are pretty much built around hip hop beats. Trust me, I hate the whole money&bitches kind of rap, but there's some real talented producers out there who make crazy instrumentals. Dilla (RIP), Blockhead, ... R&B I don't know shit about, to be honest. But BoC were clearly influenced by hip hop and rap (amongst other genres, of course). So is Autechre, so is FlyLo (that one is obvious). I'm heading out right now but I'ma search for some rap and hip op tracks that I think have a BoC vibe later today.

About the Solange stuff, it just annoys me how poorly she (=her producers) treats the original. It could have been something, but the mixing is so poorly done, or nonexistent ... there was simply no effort put into it. Like the others said already.

Well, I hope you guys learn to like it. My sources tell me that the new album will be featuring Solange on almost every track. And it's finally coming out this year 100% guaranteed. Perhaps MDG will be able to dispute these claims, if he feels obliged...

I'm sure if the BoC guys were to work on it themselves, this would turn out great. Or they'd just chop it up till they got Telephasic Workshop 2.

fuck sake

"Omg she is soo unique!! I love the music she uses,, it makes you seem like your in another dimension!"

i honestly don't get it, I don't get the style of singing or why its so popular. R&B? rap and bullshit

Lol, good lad. Get it off your chest mate. I am inclined to agree with 95% of your post.

Same here - I've also read this youtube comment and ... yeah. :rolleyes: But you shouldn't hate on the entire genre of rap if you like BoC, lots of their older tracks are pretty much built around hip hop beats. Trust me, I hate the whole money&bitches kind of rap, but there's some real talented producers out there who make crazy instrumentals. Dilla (RIP), Blockhead, ... R&B I don't know shit about, to be honest. But BoC were clearly influenced by hip hop and rap (amongst other genres, of course). So is Autechre, so is FlyLo (that one is obvious). I'm heading out right now but I'ma search for some rap and hip op tracks that I think have a BoC vibe later today.

About the Solange stuff, it just annoys me how poorly she (=her producers) treats the original. It could have been something, but the mixing is so poorly done, or nonexistent ... there was simply no effort put into it. Like the others said already.

Well, I hope you guys learn to like it. My sources tell me that the new album will be featuring Solange on almost every track. And it's finally coming out this year 100% guaranteed. Perhaps MDG will be able to dispute these claims, if he feels obliged...

I'm sure if the BoC guys were to work on it themselves, this would turn out great. Or they'd just chop it up till they got Telephasic Workshop 2.

here you go

I liked it. Yeah the vox were a little high in the mix, but solange does have a really nice voice. Much less hysterical than Beyonce...

All you guys hating on r&b are nuts. Would you hate on Marvin Gaye? James Brown? Aretha Franklin? Ray Charles? Wilson Pickett? Otis Redding?

here you go

I remember that. not quite what I meant but it does kinda prove my point that the BoC's beats go very well together with those kinds of vocals. Although I do like the original Finity very much, I'd say it isn't a typically hiphop-esque BoC track. I think it has live drumming as well (correct?). Twoism, Seeya Later, An Eagle In Your Mind or Happy Cycling (MHTRTC version) imo are even more hiphop-y.

I'm still a little confused on how she got round to listening to BoC in the first place

I mean how many how many r&b singers listens to this kind of music right?

It just seems like the most unlikely combination ever to me (and also the undeniable proof of the existence of a new album in the works)

Guest ArbitersGround

I liked it. Yeah the vox were a little high in the mix, but solange does have a really nice voice. Much less hysterical than Beyonce...

All you guys hating on r&b are nuts. Would you hate on Marvin Gaye? James Brown? Aretha Franklin? Ray Charles? Wilson Pickett? Otis Redding?

Hate on it? Nah. Dislike it? Yup. Stevie Wonder is the only RnB musician (well, he has RnB influences in his music) that I like.

I'm still a little confused on how she got round to listening to BoC in the first place

It just seems like the most unlikely combination ever to me (and also the undeniable proof of the existence of a new album in the works)

What... a black girl can't listen to BOC?

I think you are really underestimating these artists and producers. I would bet that some of these top producers and artists are very versed in all kinds of different genres of music, music is after all their trade. It became apparent when Timbaland got caught plagiarizing an obscure Finnish demoscene artist for that Nelly Furtado song. It's like thinking that a producer or artist of a specific genre only listens to their own genres, which is a silly idea. They listen to all kinds of things and get their inspiration from it. That's why I it funny when some fanboys who are so stuck in their own genre that they dismiss any other music outright and then they worship an artist that dabbles and enjoys stuff this fanboy wouldn't piss on to put out a fire.

it's not really that surprising. boc are pretty popular out of idm circles. lots of indie people are aware of them and listen to them.

this whole mix thing though is pretty freeeeeeeeeeeesssssssssssssssssshhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

As was mentioned before Boards of Canada do have lots of influences in mid-90's hip-hop, it's more apparent in their early stuff, a lot of the beats pre-MHTRTC are kinda hip-hop in rhythm structure. I've made little freestyling attempts over "Rue The Whirl" many times and it works very well for it. In fact I'm pretty convinced with the right vocal mash-up or original recording that could be a really solid hip-hop track.

Hate on it? Nah. Dislike it? Yup. Stevie Wonder is the only RnB musician (well, he has RnB influences in his music) that I like.

chen's list proves that r&b is a different animal now

Archived