IGNORED

Kraftwerk - Computer World turns 30 this month

QBLA

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest John T Chance

also : the numbers/computer world 2 double whammy is one of the best things ever to happen in the known universe

+1

also : the numbers/computer world 2 double whammy is one of the best things ever to happen in the known universe

+1

EVER!

hell yeah! Even my mom likes this, no lie, when I used to rock this back in the day, she caught on to it.

+1

EVER!

no doubt son! coming through!

+1

EVER!

I only "discovered" the record through a DJ dropping this in a house club a bit over ten years ago. What a hero.

I wish they had not included Pocket Calculator. It's just too.. funny. Doesn't fit in with the rest, I feel.

well then you've obviously missed the point of kraftwerk.

I wish they had not included Pocket Calculator. It's just too.. funny. Doesn't fit in with the rest, I feel.

well then you've obviously missed the point of kraftwerk.

I think it's a separate entity from the rest of the album. Too much of a mood change compared to the steady flow of the other tracks.

• 3 weeks later...

so essentially the was Kraftwerk's last ground breaking work, i wonder if they knew just how ahead of its time it was going to be and decided to almost retire the Kraftwerk ethos at that point.

Guest dean789

so essentially the was Kraftwerk's last ground breaking work, i wonder if they knew just how ahead of its time it was going to be and decided to almost retire the Kraftwerk ethos at that point.

If that was case why did they release electic cafe? maybe they should have retired after the tour de france single, then again i do like electic cafe more then i did back in the 80's. and where would we be without the later remix of radioactivity, especially the william orbit remix :)

i think they did Electric Cafe to milk the cow, it's not a bad album by any means, it just sounds very dated now unlike Computer World, which is why i feel musically (not in image) they dropped any pretense of being futuristic or advanced and no longer were able to bring that spirit back.

i think they did Electric Cafe to milk the cow, it's not a bad album by any means, it just sounds very dated now unlike Computer World, which is why i feel musically (not in image) they dropped any pretense of being futuristic or advanced and no longer were able to bring that spirit back.

Agreed. Although Electric Cafe is a great album, it sounds like the time it was released. Where Computer World has stood the test of 30 years and more to come!

Thought they'd recorded an analogue version of Electric Cafe which they then scrapped because they got worried they'd be considered as old hat compared to the 80s digital synth hotness that happened after Computer World came out. In hindsight we can see it wasn't the best decision they could've made but it's kind of understandable in the context of the times. Then they spent the next decade obsessively digitising everything they'd done up til that point.

But saying Electric Cafe was milking the cow is a tad unfair.

Then they spent the next decade obsessively digitising everything they'd done up til that point.

But saying Electric Cafe was milking the cow is a tad unfair.

yeah you're right, but i think their career afterwards has been trying to ride on that old spirit a little too heavily, but what direction can they go in? Tour De France was interesting, i liked that a little better than electric cafe

• 2 months later...

So Tour De France was originally released in 1983?? The single? And was Tour de France Soundtracks released in 2003 as new music?? I'm confused...help me out

Archived