IGNORED

it's like the last decade never happened

chaosmachine

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The 00's - the decade where people spent ten years unsuccessfully seeking the decades identity and are still unsure of how to name it even now.

It will become more obvious as we get further away from it.

People are used to looking at music or clothing to provide a 'yardstick' for a decade but they are missing the point if they try that with 2000-2010.

2000 to 2010 will be remembered as the decade when Google, YouTube, Apple and Facebook dominated, digital convergance happened and the internet because a vital cornerstone to the way we live, beginning a long period of accelerating fundamental change that we are still in and still only partly aware of.

everything is increasing at an exponential rate and I think that will make it hard to identify decades as easily. they will start to blend together more IMO.

We should have this discussion again in 2020. Yall be singing a different song.

I can relate though. Looking at the line ups of the big summer festivals a lot of bands from the 90s are still there. And it looks like there's not much new. It looks. But is it really? Not sure (means: prolly not). But I get the sentiment.

Honestly, I think this mentality is because of what of the time some of us have lost to the internet. Pre-internet, we went outside and did things every day and had meaningful real-life experiences. Now most peoples intellectual stimulation is anecdotal, fed into our brains on a spoon, without having to work for it, and this makes life less memorable.

Drukqs is only just starting to sound a little cliched and dated now but if you compare it to ten years before that then the advancement is huge.

WHAT. do not agree with your first statement!

I never get when people say something sounds dated. I mean you are aware of when the album was made so you are listening with that in mind, or maybe I'm the only one that does that?

I never get when people say something sounds dated. I mean you are aware of when the album was made so you are listening with that in mind, or maybe I'm the only one that does that?

You sound dated.

Plus, saying things sound dated implies things that do not sound dated from the same time period. I'm sure you can pick up the reasoning from this point on. (or am i the only one that does that?)

;p

Guest disparaissant

I can relate though. Looking at the line ups of the big summer festivals a lot of bands from the 90s are still there. And it looks like there's not much new. It looks. But is it really? Not sure (means: prolly not). But I get the sentiment.

this is an interesting point, and thinking about it, the beginning of the 90s had kind of a major paradigm shift in popular music - hair metal and overblown pop rock went out, grunge and alternative came in. also gangsta rap sort of took over. and same with the 80s, really.

not a whole lot changed fundamentally about music at the turn of the century, i mean you had pop punk i suppose, but green day really started that in 94. and they're still around making shite. you've got the foo fighters carrying the watered-down grunge torch (since 96) nickelback has been releasing a steady stream of shit for the last what, 12 years? and they sounded dated when they were new... pop music itself went from sounding very 90s back to sounding very 80s again, so i dunno. it wasn't near as massive a change in direction. maybe im just delusional, i dunno.

i guess it was the decade of autotune?

The only thing that's remotely new since the naughties is the R&B/hiphop/electronic cross-over that grew after 2K. At least, I think it wasn't as big before. And that whole armind van buuren thing. Although that wasn't new. It just grew really big after 2K.

edit: so the first decade might have been about the acceptance of a mixture of glam-electronics ....and we just don't care.... o, the irony

this is an interesting point, and thinking about it, the beginning of the 90s had kind of a major paradigm shift in popular music - hair metal and overblown pop rock went out, grunge and alternative came in. also gangsta rap sort of took over. and same with the 80s, really.

not a whole lot changed fundamentally about music at the turn of the century, i mean you had pop punk i suppose, but green day really started that in 94. and they're still around making shite. you've got the foo fighters carrying the watered-down grunge torch (since 96) nickelback has been releasing a steady stream of shit for the last what, 12 years? and they sounded dated when they were new... pop music itself went from sounding very 90s back to sounding very 80s again, so i dunno. it wasn't near as massive a change in direction. maybe im just delusional, i dunno.

i guess it was the decade of autotune?

i dunno, those examples you list as a 'paradigm shift' in popular music in the early nineties seem more to me like minor variations on very old themes, not any sort of drastic shift. pop punk and grunge were both just variations on rock/garage rock, and genres that had been doing their thing in basically the same form for over 30 years. i think pop music is still evolving, but it's a lumbering dinosaur and it always has been.

00s definitely brought the autotune in heavy doses, but again, it was just an extension of something that had been going on for a long time (pitch correction).

the 00s don't seem fundamentally different than any other decade in my opinion, we just don't have enough distance to know exactly what gives it its peculiar characteristics yet, as has been said many times in this thread.

Guest disparaissant

i dunno, those examples you list as a 'paradigm shift' in popular music in the early nineties seem more to me like minor variations on very old themes, not any sort of drastic shift. pop punk and grunge were both just variations on rock/garage rock, and genres that had been doing their thing in basically the same form for over 30 years. i think pop music is still evolving, but it's a lumbering dinosaur and it always has been.

00s definitely brought the autotune in heavy doses, but again, it was just an extension of something that had been going on for a long time (pitch correction).

the 00s don't seem fundamentally different than any other decade in my opinion, we just don't have enough distance to know exactly what gives it its peculiar characteristics yet, as has been said many times in this thread.

i'm not saying it was anything new, i was mostly referring to top 40 status.

I do think there was some sort of paradigm shift though. The themes might have been similar, but the change was the acceptance of underground music by the mainstream. Around the 90s music that had been running in the underground suddenly became mainstream. Similar to Twin Peaks becoming popular. In the 90s off-beat culture became 'cool'.

The 00s were all about bling-bling and autotune. But I guess the crowd not gowing for the bling just kept on going with the 90s vibe. There hasn't been a real alternative.

the 00s weren't all about bling bling and autotune for me, i dunno. perhaps part of the reason that the nineties seemed to somehow unite mainstream media w/ acceptance of the underground music (which i still think is only a partially true statement) - as opposed to the way that the 00s seemed to go back to this giant split between what's happening in "the underground" vs the bling/autotune mainstream that you mention is because the explosion of internet culture allowed the underground to exist completely separately from the radio/mtv/etc, and to actually do better for itself by staying separate. i dunno about you, but throughout the 00s i experienced a lot of exposure to underground hip hop, folk/jug revival music, the noisy underground garage rock scene that was exploding all over my corner of the internet from about 2005-2009, a bunch of amazing electro/house, and that classic indie sound of the 90s certainly continued to evolve throughout the last decade.

i realize we're marginalizing the "culture" of the 00s into just music right now, but in that respect, i do think that a lot of innovation went on, possibly more-so than happened in the 90s -- it's just that maybe everyone experienced it differently, as 'mass media' became a more personally-targeted thing and you didn't have to be exposed to the radio culture to know what people were listening to anymore.

all i'm really trying to say is 1) i think the 00s had a ton of personality, it's just not clear exactly what it was yet, and 2) it's difficult to say with any certainty what characterized other decades that i (or you) didn't live through, like the 60s, 70s, and to a degree (for me) the 80s. i have my suspicions that the shifts in culture we tend to see in those decades, in our comfy place from the future, is not nearly as cut and dry as we may imagine.

Guest Rambo

You're right not to get it. It always has an inherent negative connotation. You're supposed to make that mental leap. It's a shit expression. Lots of great music sounds dated.

Guest disparaissant

generally when someone says dated i take it to mean either cheesy or cliche

i realize we're marginalizing the "culture" of the 00s into just music right now, but in that respect, i do think that a lot of innovation went on, possibly more-so than happened in the 90s -- it's just that maybe everyone experienced it differently, as 'mass media' became a more personally-targeted thing and you didn't have to be exposed to the radio culture to know what people were listening to anymore.

see i think the difference here is that you're framing the decade based on your personal experience whereas i'm coming from this in more of an "I <3 the 00's" kind of way. what would hal sparks say about 2000-2010? would i want to punch him for it? probably.

lol, yeah i think you're right. from a global perspective, it is hard to pin down what characterizes the 00s, but i think that's part of its character :cool:

lol

i feel the same way about the 00s, a blank decade. a time to reflect.

also, lets not forget that this is a forum made primarily to discuss four musicians from the 90's.

IDM had a wild childhood in the 90's, with newer and crazier shit coming out every year. then in the 00s it kind of mellowed out (aphex got lazy).

but i guess it's true when you consider other genres as well. hip hop and indie are pretty much the same as they were in the late 90s too.

On top of the war on terror, enhanced communication as well as musical genres, think about how education has changed.

I feel that in today's society, schools don't want students to feel like "losers" or "failures". These days, literally everyone who can pay to go to university usually gets accepted into university and it has a huge toll on the rest of us undergraduates who actually are intelligent. Let me elaborate; I have just graduated (with distinction lololol) from my bachelor's degree. I worked extremely hard for it, whereas others didn't give two shits. Some of my peers can barely write English, and I mean to the point where it is almost laughable, and they still get average grades rather than being failed. 10 years ago, an undergraduate degree meant something because universities had the balls to turn down people who don't have the marks to get into university. Nowadays, undergraduate degrees mean nothing at all because even if you're a complete and utter moron you can still get a degree. Therefore, now I have to pay even more money to get a Master's degree, just so that I can stand out. But now, more students are realizing that the undegrad degree is worthless, so they are also enrolling in Masters degrees. One day, university degrees will be worth shit.

Just to strengthen my point, I was taking a Russian culture class and we had to write about something in the culture. One guy wrote about vodka and how he loves Grey Goose and he got a B+... GIVE ME A FUCKING BREAK. I literally, was in tears with laughter after reading his essay and yet these idiots never get failed because universities are a bunch of money hungry pussies who fuck us bright people over whilst giving power and opportunities to those who are stupid as shit and don't deserve them.

/rant

On top of the war on terror, enhanced communication as well as musical genres, think about how education has changed.

I feel that in today's society, schools don't want students to feel like "losers" or "failures". These days, literally everyone who can pay to go to university usually gets accepted into university and it has a huge toll on the rest of us undergraduates who actually are intelligent. Let me elaborate; I have just graduated (with distinction lololol) from my bachelor's degree. I worked extremely hard for it, whereas others didn't give two shits. Some of my peers can barely write English, and I mean to the point where it is almost laughable, and they still get average grades rather than being failed. 10 years ago, an undergraduate degree meant something because universities had the balls to turn down people who don't have the marks to get into university. Nowadays, undergraduate degrees mean nothing at all because even if you're a complete and utter moron you can still get a degree. Therefore, now I have to pay even more money to get a Master's degree, just so that I can stand out. But now, more students are realizing that the undegrad degree is worthless, so they are also enrolling in Masters degrees. One day, university degrees will be worth shit.

Just to strengthen my point, I was taking a Russian culture class and we had to write about something in the culture. One guy wrote about vodka and how he loves Grey Goose and he got a B+... GIVE ME A FUCKING BREAK. I literally, was in tears with laughter after reading his essay and yet these idiots never get failed because universities are a bunch of money hungry pussies who fuck us bright people over whilst giving power and opportunities to those who are stupid as shit and don't deserve them.

/rant

:cisfor:

It's become a joke here in the states. At some point it became a stigma to simply be a high school graduate, no matter how intelligent or hard-working you are as an employee, artist, or entrepreneur. I have met just as many ignorant people in college (University of Texas - Austin, a massive, well-regarded public university) as I have at hourly rate part time jobs. Universities are a cash-cow here, one with a plethora of laws enabling the admission and graduation of a plethora of under qualified people. Even worse, there's not enough support or promotion of technical and two-year colleges for those who can't make it through 4 year degrees or afford the tuition.

I summary - much of my generation is in massive debt, underemployed if not unemployed, and generally lacking any real skills or experience. But hey, we have BA and masters degrees! :emotawesomepm9:

Archived