IGNORED

Biosphere - N-Plants

Autour De La Lune was initially a commission, and then he went back and tweaked some things. The whole emptiness of it makes sense in the context of what the piece was for. If you think about it, Autour is way more evocative of what space really is than some Klaus Schulze record, for example. It's not really a studio album per say. I feel like it can't be viewed in the same light. As for N-Plants, it's definitely a different style for him, but I'm digging it (aside from the 5th track). I still say he has another studio album up his sleeve that he's put way more time into. This album wasn't conceived until Feb of this year.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Benedict Cumberbatch

This is perfect early morning work music. track 2 i'm loving. its entertaining without being distracting and not ambient enough to send me back to sleep

Now I've had a listen on decent headphones, I'm in love - and the whole premise of this album is freaky as hell.

Can anyone translate the Japanese samples on the tracks?

i have been a biosphere fan for quite a long time now, as microgravity was one of the first records that got me into electronic music, and i wasn't even aware of the existence of a record called shenzhou, until the other day, when i first listened to it. even if i wanted to, i wouldn't be able to forget that first track. and the whole record is genius, the way he creates such atmospheres with classical elements put in.

the same happened with the somehow jazzy feeling of some of the tracks of dropsonde and the magnificent patashnik as well.

every biosphere record has surprised me from the very beginning in some way. maybe i just wanted to feel this again.

Did you not appreciate the horns in Sendai-1 then? Minimalist - very Glass-like almost.

I'm really digging the album - one of my favs of the year (so far).

Oh and I think the Japanese in Monju-1 translates to "Me" "Here I am near you".

Guest Enter a new display name

Biosphere always knows where to find interesting samples in foreign languages. I am still amazed by the french explorer who speaks in "Le Grand Dôme" off his album Cirque.

Biosphere always knows where to find interesting samples in foreign languages. I am still amazed by the french explorer who speaks in "Le Grand Dôme" off his album Cirque.

Same for me...Great album.

The best one has to be off my favorite Biosphere track though - the Russian radio broadcast sampled in "Kobresia". Goddamn that sends chills down my spine every time I hear it. Not scary chills, just...can't explain it.

Am I the only one disappointed by this release? I think I caught a good passing moment or two somewhere around the middle mark, but other than that this seems like horribly bad, rushed and halfway-finished record. I probably won't bother with it again...

The best one has to be off my favorite Biosphere track though - the Russian radio broadcast sampled in "Kobresia". Goddamn that sends chills down my spine every time I hear it. Not scary chills, just...can't explain it.

I think (think) it's taken from Stalker, if not then some Tarkovsky film anyways...

I think (think) it's taken from Stalker, if not then some Tarkovsky film anyways...

nnnope

The voice does not belong to a Tarkovsky-movie, but to Karl Nikolajev, a Russian “biocommunicator” (telepath), that is sitting in a room, trying to “see” which object is lying on a table two floors up. The Radio Moscow-sequence I got from my own shortwaveradio.

© Official Biosphere

01:45 - Voice in Russian. English translation: It is either metal or … If it’s metal, it is painted… Cold surface. It is either metal (painted), or, maybe, plastic. Colored. There is… Bright. Looks like… Maybe, it’s a toy? The surface is smooth, but here are some projections. Finger sticks. Maybe it is… Some kind of dents… or… or it is letters… or just projections… Looks like a toy. Multicolored metal or plastic, painted metal. That’s it. Stop.

* - Karl Nikolajev: a “biocommunicator” who sits in a room trying to “see” what kind of object is placed on a table in a room two floors up.

Am I the only one disappointed by this release? I think I caught a good passing moment or two somewhere around the middle mark, but other than that this seems like horribly bad, rushed and halfway-finished record. I probably won't bother with it again...

You should definitely give it another go :)

Guest Hanratty

i've not logged the listening time to accurately share my thoughts on this, but what i've eard, i've enjoyed

same. looks like a good one.

Guest Hanratty

Was vary by the comments here but gave it a go and think it's a grower. The more I listened to it, the more I like it. Will probably need to buy it now.

i am just digging every track. i wish i could make my beats sound so effortless. very idm sound.

You should definitely give it another go :)

Listening to this another time now, and yeah, it does sound a bit better but I still don't find it particularly good at this point. I guess I waited for another Substrata - stupid expectations really, but I'm more of a Substrata fan than a Biosphere fan. Now that I know how the music really sounds I can focus on digging out all the elements hidden inside it.

• 5 weeks later...

Archived