IGNORED

When strangers call you:

kcinsu

i will cop to calling everyone dude regardless of gender

i think that probably makes people think less of me more than it pisses them off tho so

stop picking your nose, dude.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i think that probably makes people think less of me more than it pisses them off tho so

dooooood thats gross

I hate when shop assistants call me mate/love/honey/buddy or what ever, as someone who works in a shop I always call customers sir/madam not only is it more professional but its more respectful. Having saying that, sometimes when I call someone sir (usually someone around the 17-25 age mark) they take the piss or react in a sort of almost rude way, I guess they aren't use to it.

i dunno. where i'm from it's mainly boy/girl/maid/oldboy/oldgirl.

i was calling male customers sir today, i suppose cause it's impersonal/might make lack of friendliness seem like intentional professionalism, they just called me mate. the woman i was working with called everyone bubba, which was cool.

I hate when shop assistants call me mate/love/honey/buddy or what ever, as someone who works in a shop I always call customers sir/madam not only is it more professional but its more respectful. Having saying that, sometimes when I call someone sir (usually someone around the 17-25 age mark) they take the piss or react in a sort of almost rude way, I guess they aren't use to it.

oh right. i'll continue doing that then i guess.

Guest disparaissant

no way maaaaaaaaaaaan why you gotta hassle a sista

stop being the man maaaaaaan

no way maaaaaaaaaaaan

that's sooo apocalypse now, maaaaaan

why you gotta hassle a sista

stop being the man maaaaaaan

because you're picking your nose AND there's a kid screaming for help, dude. ima no hassle hassle maaann

Guest Stoppit

I used to work in a shop and sometimes a customer would clock my name-badge and then start using my first name.

FUUUUCK OFFFFFF YOU DON'T KNOW ME

Guest disparaissant

that's sooo apocalypse now, maaaaaan

av-123.jpg

because you're picking your nose AND there's a kid screaming for help, dude. ima no hassle hassle maaann

you have no right to judge me, maaaaaaaan.

I say "brother" a lot so you guys would probably hate it. I dunno, it's pretty common in my neighborhood.

I agree that chief and pal and guy are usually passive aggressive with a stranger. My friend and sir I always use with the deli guys around here.

I'm okay with being called any of these things by strangers, unless there's a hostile/patronizing undertone to it. Otherwise I just take it to mean they're trying to create an amicable atmosphere, which is just fine by me.

I don't know, I've just worked in retail since I was a kid and my family have always owned businesses, so that's what I was taught. I wouldn't like someone I didn't know calling me 'bubba' I think its patronising....

Guest rumbo

Boss, Chief, Captain...anything that infers authority, is actually saying the opposite. You are none of these. This is a put down disguised as a booster.

Mate is used to address people you don't know. Mate can be used for your closest friend, or your worst enemy. It's all about how you say it and in which context.

I heard a washed up old bikey once meet a guy with "Bloke". As in "How are you, bloke?". I thought this sounded stupid.

Just call people by their names.

People you are not necesarally friends with, but you are just familiar with, usually get happy when call them by their names. Like you remembered the persons name, that is a nice gesture. It just feels much more personal than: buddy, pal, mate etc. etc.

But like Stoppit mentioned. Don't do it to complete strangers, that's just weird.

the only one that ever bothered me was a girl in high school who always refered to people as "silly goose"... everything else doesn't bother me in the least!

nothing really sets me off like being condescendingly called something like "sweetie" or "honey." especially if it is preceded or followed by "you should smile more."

i will KILL

I quite often get the "cheer up/it might never happen" on the phone with people which really fucking gets to me. There's nothing the fuck wrong with me, and if there was you are the last person that could make me feel better. Especially since you've fucked me right off by bringing attention to it. I have got a bit of a depressing phone voice at times butin no way is that coupled with me feelings at that time.

Anyhow, I always get called mate, geeze (not quite sure of spelling but you know), bud, buddy, chap ...etc. It doesn't bother me at all with people I'm not friendly with or don't know very well. I think it goes fairly unnoticed in Britain now. Well in these here parts anyhow.

Guest AcrossCanyons

Chief.

this is one I generally run with to friends at the moment.

i like using generally uncommon words in conversation. i consider myself a bit of a wordsmith. :sup:

in terms of things I hate, being called "kid" is always the worst because unless the person being called it is actually a fair bit younger than the speakers it's always used to put speaker "over" the other person. a thing of power.

Chief.

this is one I generally run with to friends at the moment.

i like using generally uncommon words in conversation. i consider myself a bit of a wordsmith. :sup:

in terms of things I hate, being called "kid" is always the worst because unless the person being called it is actually a fair bit younger than the speakers it's always used to put speaker "over" the other person. a thing of power.

Agreeed. I call all kinds of people, all kinds of names. It's the way it's said. At the moment my favorites are Sherrif and Maestro. ''Morning Maestro" has a nice ring to it. Then there is my friend next door who I call Monkey Magic because he's always climbing up walls as he like rock climbing. Then there's my rich mate who I call Lord of the Manor. One of my mate is called Andre and so I call hime Andreas Maxamus, also Matthew who I call Mattaus Maxamus. Chief, Skipper, Good Sir, Unholy Savage With The Strength of 10 Bears!!.

At the end of the day if in doubt I love the word Squire (an english gentleman).

Ahhh its not what you say its the way you say it. But I don't like the word Boss. I find that a bit iffy.

Guest couch

nothing really sets me off like being condescendingly called something like "sweetie" or "honey." especially if it is preceded or followed by "you should smile more."

i will KILL

That shit pisses me off. Why should I look like I'm blissfully happy just to please you, how selfish. Go DIAF.

Archived