IGNORED

Flying Lotus Announces Multimedia Project

Guest ruiagnelo

Guest ruiagnelo
Not content to just produce mind-bending, game-changing beats, LA-based beat producer Steve Ellison (a.k.a. Flying Lotus) has just announced that he'll be extending his talents into multimedia with The Mapping of Countries Yet to Come, a new collaborative project with visual artist Miwa Matreyek. Commissioned by the Center for the Arts, Eagle Rock, the project is intended to document, sample, and draw inspiration from the area surrounding the center in northeastern Los Angeles. The project is currently taking donations, so if you would like to contribute (or would simply care for more information), head on over to its Kickstarter page.

source

Looking forward to this!

I remember reading that Flying Lotus was supposed to be the new Richard D James and that he was better than Jimmy Hendrix so I went and put Cosmogramma on my computer getting very excited that I was living in this new age of the most awesome music that tops all rock and electronic in history and when it was over I never listened to the album again.

Guest ruiagnelo

I remember reading that Flying Lotus was supposed to be the new Richard D James and that he was better than Jimmy Hendrix so I went and put Cosmogramma on my computer getting very excited that I was living in this new age of the most awesome music that tops all rock and electronic in history and when it was over I never listened to the album again.

whoever said Flying Lotus is the new Richard D. James, must listen to their music first and talk later.

Cosmogramma took me various listenings until i was able to understand it and enjoy it. but i think it is one of those records that you either love or hate.

Guest ruiagnelo

Don't believe the hype. Believe the music.

indeed, i first thought of these words but forgot to mention it.

m u st co n t r ol t h o 4: you got high expectactions concerning Cosmogramma and that might be the reason why you didn't enjoy it. i recommend you spin it once more.

but again i can tell this record really is love or hate

Guest ruiagnelo

i admire artists that risk walking on different fields and try to create under totally new circumstances, in this case, a musician that steps of the usual path - make music, play music live, go back into making music - and gets into a project that will deal with both sound and image, as well as a specific, real community

Guest hahathhat

anyone else find it kinda unlistenable? the way it's mixed or something...

i saw the dancefloor dale video, and i thought that was brilliant. the track was great, too. so i got los angeles. sorry to anyone that's a fan, but i hated that album! every track was crap, except for parisian goldfish. i particularly hated "camel," in which FlyLo ruins one of my favorite Amon Tobin tracks. i'm just not into the timing of his music at all. he should turn quantize back on

maybe cosmograndma is better.

I'm not big on los angeles or his earlier stuff either, but imo cosmogramma is pure undiluted genius. even though it's a silly thing to say, i can understand why someone would call him the new RDJ based just on that release. i can see how you either love it or hate it though.

Ive said it before, and I may as well say it again.

LA > Cosmogramma.

All the cosmogramma tracks are way too short, like its a concept/demo's album or something. Just as a beat gets going or you think the track is gonna really turn into something awesome, its over and he's got another idea on the go.

Album would have been better with say 12 well thought out (longer) tracks, and a follow up EP.....

idk I'll admit I'm a big FlyLo fan... However, I personally love Los Angeles and his earlier stuff and care slighly less for Cosmogramma... The Pattern/Grid World EP is pretty cool though idk if I'd go so far as to call him the next :rdjgrin: though... I mean, RDJ is :aphexsign: after all.

^ Edit, oh yeah, forgot about pattern&gridworld....

Anyways, its good that he is going for a different media to experiment with.

I would go so far to suggest that FlyLo is more like the new Squarepusher than the new RDJ... with his multi-instrumental skills, disregards for genre and ability to play stuff live....

But im not suggesting he IS the new squarepusher.... :derp:

Absolutely loved Cosmogramma. Wasn't really keen on LA until I listened to it baked one evening and it all clicked. I'll agree that he's a wee bit overhyped (thanks pitchfork) but am capable of enjoying his music on its own merits, not vis-a-vis that of another artist.

LA > Cosmogramma.

All the cosmogramma tracks are way too short, like its a concept/demo's album or something. Just as a beat gets going or you think the track is gonna really turn into something awesome, its over and he's got another idea on the go.

Funny you should say that. I lent Cosmogramma to a professional musician friend of mine and he had the same criticism. I respect his opinion, and he said the guy (FlyLo) has too many (fantastic) ideas whirling around and doesn't channel them properly. So it turns into a half-baked mess.

Guest ruiagnelo

Funny you should say that. I lent Cosmogramma to a professional musician friend of mine and he had the same criticism. I respect his opinion, and he said the guy (FlyLo) has too many (fantastic) ideas whirling around and doesn't channel them properly. So it turns into a half-baked mess.

an academic opinion, it seems

...pure undiluted genius...

Really..?? I just don't get it. I must be getting old or something.

it was unlistenable for me when it came out and i put it away for 6 months. i dont know what happened in the meantime, it may have helped that i got into oizo's moustache which is similar pacing-wise, but a while ago i decided to give it another try and it took my head off.

but i agree, only time will tell whether he or any of the brainfeeder folks have what it takes to be true game changers.

Cosmogramma is a more ambitious album. It's trying to be a cohesive statement.

LA is more like a collection of tracks. The style is very interesting. It's like the logical progression of the electro style of Detroit. It sounds like Drexciya mixed with modern technology and J Dilla. I like it. I know many of the beats from listening to it a lot. It's a classic.

Cosmogramma was really good. I felt it was a spiritual record, and I know I connected with it several times in a 'deep' way. I think it will age well.

Not much else to say. I'd like/love to hear what the next Flylo record is going to sound like. Brainfeeder is probably the closest thing to a 'New Warp' in existence. There have been many A++ records released on that label, in my opinion. They should branch into more ambitious territory.

LA > Cosmogramma.

For the record I quite like Cosmogramma :ok:

I'm on the "I Love Cosmogramma" boat. Quite a few musical epiphanies there. Very dense, you have to listen a lot and take it apart piece by piece.

Sure, it might skip around too quickly for the folks who are used to the long jazz explorations, but FlyLo isn't done yet. I think he'll do quite a few great things in the future.

Guest ruiagnelo

i won't put Cosmogramma on a pedestal or call it a masterpiece. i believe FlyLo got exaggeratedly hyped up - well but nowodays, who doesn't?! - and i don't care about it, as that's the music that really matters.

i got it when it was released and listened to it a lot, but at first, i didn't enjoy it, it was actually so annoying to my ears (i still find the volume to be a bit high). but eventually i started chosing different, more appropriate occasions to listen to, which was the only way to get into it. a couple of weeks ago i had some time to just listen to it, without thinking about anything else and it was perfect, it just hit me as i never expected.

when in the right time, this record brings you a unique atmosphere, and then it won't matter if it is cohesive or not, because its precisely the dispersion, the inumerous bits suddenly hitting you and the almost infinite variety of sounds that work so well.

he himself told this is a "space opera", and it might sounds pretentions, but its just how i see and hear it.

Archived