IGNORED

Electronic Musics That Aged Well & Electronic Musics That Did Not

Redruth

Guest Greg Reason

Nine Inch Nails is a bit of both for me. 80s & early 90s beats & production values abound, but I think the weird atmospheric noises still hold up.

I think Pretty Hate Machine sounds really 80's, but Broken and the Downward Spiral still sound pretty fresh.

This

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

it depends on what your definition of "not aging well is". for me, it's anything that sounds sorta cheesy or dated but that doesn't necessarily make it bad.

well:

did/will not age well:

monolake post hongkong

a lot of FSOL and the orb

early orbital

a huge chunk of acid music (seriously there's only so much more analord aping that we can take)

richard devine

Err what? especially the bit about analord aping. There's a huge huge chunk of acid which came around long before Analord (which isn't particularly acid-y, beyond a few tracks anyways).

sure there's a huge chunk of that kind of acid too, but there is also a huge chunk of post Analord inspired retro fetishism acid as well, watmm is a good place to find a lot of it...

Aged well:

Kraftwerk

Throbbing Gristle

Cabaret Voltaire

Chris & Cosey

i would agree with that accept subtract Electric Cafe and almost everything Chris & Cosey and Cabaret did post 1987, Exotica and Trust by C&C especially sound very dated. Voltaire also started doing really dated sounding 'house/techno' in the late 80s early 90s that has aged poorly. I am huge fans of all these bands though, but even for them (minus TG) it was hard to escape production trappings of the times.

I don't really understand the mentions of Kraftwerk, I mean sure, in this age of retro fetishism, if their albums were released recently I wouldn't be surprised but that's not the point of this thread, right? I think other German electronic artists like Cluster or Harmonia have stood the test of time better than Kraftwerk.

As for stuff that hasn't aged well, I'd say probably a lot of 80s electronic music, mostly from the early days of samplers. I still enjoy some of it though.

And yeah, most of that stuff released around the time of IDM's death in the mid 00s kinda grates now, even though I fucking loved it when it was around. You know the style - clicky/glitchy beats, pretty melodies in D minor, etc. Electronic gigs in Australia were pretty hilarious around that time. They were either the aforementioned style, or breakcore (another genre that has aged terribly yet people still try to resurrect it), or proto-hipster disco stuff that was actually kinda cool sometimes.

Chillwave that's aging alright:

pwhahahhalol what are you 9? that song is like what 2 years old?

Haha, yeah it's fucking chillwave, so it's immediately a comical statement. I know it's still relatively new, the thread's about predicting what will age well and what won't. I think it'll be interesting to see the fate of all of the hyped microgenre producers in the upcoming years.

I mean come on, did you want yet another opinion post about how early FSOL or Aphex Twin releases aged?

most electronic music does not age well with a few notable exceptions. this is probably due to its artifical nature and the fact that electronic music as a whole is debatable whether it is even legitimate music. (again, with a gew notable exceptions).

aged well:

metallica

guns n roses

most electronic music does not age well with a few notable exceptions. this is probably due to its artifical nature and the fact that electronic music as a whole is debatable whether it is even legitimate music. (again, with a gew notable exceptions).

aged well:

metallica

guns n roses

wait, what forum is this?

bullshit reasoning.

the piano was considered not to be a true musical instrument at one point in time.

i wasn't reasoning anything i was stating my opinion.

but i take it what you're trying to say is that since the piano was considered not to be a true musical instrument and now is, that this automatically means the same for electronic music? that's pretty dumb right there.

but i take it what you're trying to say is that since the piano was considered not to be a true musical instrument and now is, that this automatically means the same for electronic music? that's pretty dumb right there.

what i'm saying is that synthesizers and samplers are just as much considered instruments in the true sense of the word as much as guitars and clarinets are.

what matters is what you do with them. there's countless hours of music made with 'traditional' instruments that sounds just as dated as music made with synths.

what i'm saying is that synthesizers and samplers are just as much considered instruments in the true sense of the word as much as guitars and clarinets are.

what matters is what you do with them. there's countless hours of music made with 'traditional' instruments that sounds just as dated as music made with synths.

ok well you keep switching the point of conversation. i thought you brought up the piano thing because you were trying to say that electronic music should be considered a legitimate form of music, since the piano wasnt by some people and now is. now you're focusing on if the instruments used in electronic music are legitimate instruments or not. these are two separate concepts, both of which are debatable. you say that synths and samplers are "just as much considered legitimate instruments in the true sense of the word", well in reality im not so sure if this is actually the case, especially among most classically trained, professional musicians.

you have a point when you say that what matters is what you do with them, and that traditional music can be dated as well. but this does not necessarily give electronic music more weight, when it comes to the debate as to whether it is legitimate music or not, in general. as i said there are exceptions, but for the most part they are faw and few between.

this is just my opinion,but i think it's safe to say that the ratio of electronic music that is made by humans that would be considered "legitimate" (or, if that term offends you, "something that someone would actually want to sit down, listen to, and enjoy") to that which would be considered "craP" is about 10/90

this was exacerbated by the internet and the availability of tools to the average end-user musician who prior to the internet, raves, and scenes associated with electronic music, probably would have just been into sports and drinking.

you have a point when you say that what matters is what you do with them, and that traditional music can be dated as well. but this does not necessarily give electronic music more weight...

I don't believe he ever made that claim

...when it comes to the debate as to whether it is legitimate music or not, in general. as i said there are exceptions, but for the most part they are faw and few between.

There goes your argument

also, if you qualify music on your criteria of what "someone would want to actually sit down, listen to, and enjoy" you're not going to get very far with a discussion of what has or hasn't aged well.

... oh wait, you weren't actually talking about that were you? something more along the lines of "music I don't like"

dude why dont you chill the fuck out and stop trying to break down everything i said out of context like a god damn lawyer. why is what ive said so important to you. it's simply my opinion. maybe it doesnt fit nicely into your anal retentive view of what should and should not be included in the thread, too fuckin bad.

If you count stuff like "some kid noodlin around on a guitar for 5 minutes in his room" then you'll probably get similar ratios for any genre.

no shit, and i would never think about associating the elite class of electronic musicians into that bracket.

dude why dont you chill the fuck out and stop trying to break down everything i said out of context like a god damn lawyer. why is what ive said so important to you. it's simply my opinion. maybe it doesnt fit nicely into your anal retentive view of what should and should not be included in the thread, too fuckin bad.

Relax. I'm calm, and expressing my opinion just as you are. The problem is that you're turning your opinions into objective criteria and losing your shit when people call you up on it.

EDIT: new page, context, new page

Archived