IGNORED

R.E.M. Calls It Quits (1980-2011)

triachus

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest MortstoX

I used to love REM. Still do up to a point. I just wish they'd stopped making records after Green.

So, you think R.E.M. should stop making music before Automatic for the People? I'm glad they didn't, since it's one of my favourite albums ever, although I accept the nostalgia argument mentioned earlier. Anyway, I think R.E.M. has made a lot of great songs from the mid 90s and until now, although they didn't live up to their early stuff album wise.

Some reasons I'm glad that they waited until yesterday:

The biggest mistake regarding R.E.M. is to think they stopped making good music after Automatic for the people. It is certainly their last great record but almost all of their records have strong tracks : what's the frequency kenneth, new test leper, e-bow the letter, fall to climb, walk unafraid, daysleeper, i've been high, imitation of life, uberlin...

The biggest mistake regarding R.E.M. is to think they stopped making good music after Automatic for the people. It is certainly their last great record but almost all of their records have strong tracks : what's the frequency kenneth, new test leper, e-bow the letter, fall to climb, walk unafraid, daysleeper, i've been high, imitation of life, uberlin...

Every album since Automatic has had great singles, Around The Sun is the only real write-off. And honestly, Monster and New Adventures were solid albums, they just had to follow up what was arguably their magnum opus.

Guest MortstoX

This is post number 43 in this thread. That´s less than

Influx of bad artist names

Albums you wished -insert artist name- would make

Southern Rap Sucks So Bad

or random poop thread at GB. So...obviously not a big deal

I saw it on the front page of a newspaper as a headline, and I heard it mentioned on the radio like 3 times today. That's why I think it's been made into a way bigger deal than it actually is. When has R.E.M. become that important, and do anyone really want another album from them? Does it even matter that they are not going to be making music anymore.

Also I think it's annoying when musicians announces they are going to retire/breakup etc. etc.

90% of the time it's not true. And there will be a comeback album or something like that after a couple of years.

Good way to create buzz for a new album, when you haven't been relavant for some time I guess.

Guest MortstoX

I will try to clarify:

Q: "When has R.E.M. become that important,"

A: When? Over the years I guess. Obviously they have in fact become that important if their break-up is all over the news even in Danish media (Norwegian as well).

Q: "do anyone really want another album from them?"

A: The album they released six months ago peaked at 5th place on US Billboard and 3rd on Danish Tracklisten. The answer is yes. There is a lot of people out there who wants another album.

Q: "Does it even matter that they are not going to be making music anymore."

A: For their fans; yes. For people on the internet who say they don´t care, but still likes to discuss the topic; perhaps not.

Well.. Good answers.

I'm not hating on R.E.M. btw. These retirement announcements can just be a bit annoying. I mean.. do any of you really believe they are not going to do a comeback album at some point.

Well.. Good answers.

I'm not hating on R.E.M. btw. These retirement announcements can just be a bit annoying. I mean.. do any of you really believe they are not going to do a comeback album at some point.

Yeah, I think R.E.M.'s is a big deal because they mean it and it's settled, not some Jay-Z announcement bullshit. They are not a critically acclaimed band turned ancient cash-cow (The Who, Rolling Stones) nor some kinda arguably respectable "entertainment" group like Coldplay or U2. They haven't had any lineup changes beyond the drummer leaving amicably for personal reasons (in 96' I think) to become a farmer of all things. A reunion gig will probably be for charity and or sincere fan requests. They might keep up with the fanclub 7" series, but they won't make another album. I'm sure of it. I don't even think true solo albums and careers will emerge, which kinda sets them apart from Radiohead, whose "break-up" would also be of similar impact if it occurred.

They are the godfathers of college rock/indie/etc in the 80s. They help make alternative rock "viable," for better or worse in the 90s. Hell, I remember they had a Microsoft Encarta 95' entry, so they've been considered important for awhile. People talk endlessly about Kurt Cobain's death, but few mention he was hoping to collaborate with Stipe (who happens to be Frances Bean's godfather) and make a Nirvana album more in the vien of R.E.M.'s style. The last album Cobain listened to was Automatic For The People. I think that helps encapsulate (albeit rather morbidly) the influence and impact they've had.

Guest MortstoX

What joshuatxuk said. Can´t imagine REM desperate enough for money or attention to do a silly comeback. Although I do believe that they will work with music in some way. Peter Buck has produced a lot of records, and a solo-album from Stipe? Why not?

I never followed them too closely but there was a time where I was really into them. One of the first non-IDM bands I was ever into (first was Radiohead).

I remember my brother's best friend was a huge fan, and made me a 3 disc collection of his favourites, but he put too much on them! the last few songs didn't play properly because he put like 81 minutes worth of music on one disc. That's a LOT of REM. But I loved a good chunk of it, they have written a lot of good stuff.

PS: so in conclusion, it's a shame they fizzled out, but I'm still sad about them splitting :(

wow i didn't realise everyone here was so gay

Wow what's happening here. So much REM love.

oh for fucks sake don't read the thread then. People enjoy other music besides limited Leyland Kirby albums or Boomkat's Hipster of the Month Ep selection.

AGHHH

GODDAMN YOU GUYS

:wtf:

*aneurysm*

I used to love REM. Still do up to a point. I just wish they'd stopped making records after Green. Out of time had it's moments but it soured real fast (the shame about ray effect). Murmur (or reckoning) is probably my favourite album if I had to pick one. Stipe's transformation from quintessential "arty" american indie boy to bloated-ego stadium-friendly prententious-douche rockgod put me off them altogether along with all their weak, trite "REM by numbers" output after losing my religion. Also shiny happy people was horrible. *leaves thread before someone posts that sesame street clip*

I know what you are saying. I love the earlier stuff but it tends to get a bit samey for me...a lot of dancebeat clangy indie stuff. Not that that's bad, but it starts to wear thin on me after 40 minutes straight or so. Murmur is still a fun album.

any love for Life's Rich Pageant? I think that might be up with Out of Time and Automatic as my fave albums.

Guest Xenblake

Back in the 90's when R.E.M were still a relatively interesting and cool band I remember really wanting to get into them, I even tried to read a book on them lol. But alas, even to this day I can only dig a handful of their tracks.

Their split is quite a big moment in pop history I suppose, they were a very inspired band, I'll always have good memories of them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0KMtMnVik4Q

Archived