IGNORED

R.E.M. Calls It Quits (1980-2011)

triachus

R.E.M. CALL IT A DAY:

cms_image_7914.jpg

"To our Fans and Friends: As R.E.M., and as lifelong friends and co-conspirators, we have decided to call it a day as a band. We walk away with a great sense of gratitude, of finality, and of astonishment at all we have accomplished. To anyone who ever felt touched by our music, our deepest thanks for listening." R.E.M.

In their own words: The guys share their thoughts on why now.

MIKE

"During our last tour, and while making Collapse Into Now and putting together this greatest hits retrospective, we started asking ourselves, 'what next'? Working through our music and memories from over three decades was a hell of a journey. We realized that these songs seemed to draw a natural line under the last 31 years of our working together.

"We have always been a band in the truest sense of the word. Brothers who truly love, and respect, each other. We feel kind of like pioneers in this--there's no disharmony here, no falling-outs, no lawyers squaring-off. We've made this decision together, amicably and with each other's best interests at heart. The time just feels right."

MICHAEL

"A wise man once said--'the skill in attending a party is knowing when it's time to leave.' We built something extraordinary together. We did this thing. And now we're going to walk away from it.

"I hope our fans realize this wasn't an easy decision; but all things must end, and we wanted to do it right, to do it our way.

"We have to thank all the people who helped us be R.E.M. for these 31 years; our deepest gratitude to those who allowed us to do this. It's been amazing."

PETER

"One of the things that was always so great about being in R.E.M. was the fact that the records and the songs we wrote meant as much to our fans as they did to us. It was, and still is, important to us to do right by you. Being a part of your lives has been an unbelievable gift. Thank you.

"Mike, Michael, Bill, Bertis, and I walk away as great friends. I know I will be seeing them in the future, just as I know I will be seeing everyone who has followed us and supported us through the years. Even if it's only in the vinyl aisle of your local record store, or standing at the back of the club: watching a group of 19 year olds trying to change the world."

http://remhq.com/new...ory.php?id=1446

Not that I am a fan, I'm just reminded right now how much I still like Losing My Religion

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xwtdhWltSIg

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest MortstoX

Ah. Shame I never saw them live. I enjoy pretty much all of their albums. Haven´t really listened to their last, but by the reviews I got the impression that they still were kinda fresh.

Ah. Shame I never saw them live. I enjoy pretty much all of their albums. Haven´t really listened to their last, but by the reviews I got the impression that they still were kinda fresh.

Their last single wasn't really that great. But man, they made some GREAT tunes.

but fuck man so many good moments, good songs.

They haven't made an excellent album since Automatic For The People, which is a masterpiece IMO, but they're been some good singles. The last album was decent. They ended on a good note and in a mellow, slightly jangle-y, somewhat mumbled manner. I'm not surprised how either, their only lineup change occurred when the drummer decided touring was too much and decided to become a farmer. Also, I didn't want another sad, keyboard-driven LP that was this:

every-REM-album.gif

Growing up they were my favorite band, they have some albums and songs that are undeniably good, but in general there's a nostalgia factor that's relevant to most R.E.M. fans. As one reviewer once put it: "The main peril of writing about R.E.M. is that otherwise rational people tend to form torturously private relationships with this band. I am one of them."

Dug them immensely up to 1992. Shame I never saw them live.

I think "What's the Frequency Kenneth" was the last track I dug of theirs. I was a huge fan in their early days.

I've kept assuming they'd knocked it on the head for years now until they release another new album. Never enjoyed a whole album by them, but when they write good songs they really fucking do so (or did) with aplomb. I'm not devastated at their passing, but I have to say I've always respected them.

Kenneth was the lead track off of Monster, yeah, its not excellent, but there were still some jams

I really liked Star 69 , King of Comedy and Bang and Blame:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mcGt1_Ybn1M

Automatic for the People and Out of Time are two of my most beloved vinyls. Out of Time has soooooo many underrated tracks that get overshadowed by Losing my Religion: Near Wide Heaven, Texarkana, Me In Honey, etc etc.

It really is, there are so many underrated gems on that one and Green IMO

Everybody Hurts is still a beautiful song, I don't care how many times it's been used in moves seriously or ironically.

I used to love REM. Still do up to a point. I just wish they'd stopped making records after Green. Out of time had it's moments but it soured real fast (the shame about ray effect). Murmur (or reckoning) is probably my favourite album if I had to pick one. Stipe's transformation from quintessential "arty" american indie boy to bloated-ego stadium-friendly prententious-douche rockgod put me off them altogether along with all their weak, trite "REM by numbers" output after losing my religion. Also shiny happy people was horrible. *leaves thread before someone posts that sesame street clip*

[youtubehd]5Bw33v-oitI[/youtubehd]

[youtubehd]Aqt4M8OW_OU[/youtubehd]

[youtubehd]P8H5f25NlUQ[/youtubehd]

Green is a great album. I was also introduced to their early stuff recently; pretty excellent!

It's always a shame to see a good band call it quits, but probably for the best. I wish U2 did it after Zooropa (I know some say earlier, but there were some great songs on that album)

Archived