IGNORED

R.E.M. Calls It Quits (1980-2011)

triachus

good god, who cares?

they haven't pulled a master stroke since 'green'.

i have watched their career, wondering all the way how such an MOR, bland ass guitar band could make it soooooo big.

(see also u2)

the public is a giant cock. that's the only reasonable conclusion.

they should have jacked it in around 1990.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Xenblake

I agree they're overrated, but that doesn't mean they haven't made good songs. U2 are overrated too, and have IMO made considerably less good songs than R.E.M

Plus Bono is a way bigger ass than Michael Stipe lol

Downloading Automatic for the People now.

I think Shiny Happy People may have prevented me from latching on to these guys in my formative years. Also I always felt Stipe could have been much more creative with his melodies. It's okay though, I'll probably listen to AFTP in the next few days and realize it's brilliant.

wow i didn't realise everyone here was so gay

Wow what's happening here. So much REM love.

oh for fucks sake don't read the thread then. People enjoy other music besides limited Leyland Kirby albums or Boomkat's Hipster of the Month Ep selection.

AGHHH

GODDAMN YOU GUYS

:wtf:

*aneurysm*

you know people have different opinions on stuff? is it not fair to be slightly surprised that such an MOR band gets so much love and discussion on an IDM board? i'm under no illusion that people here have only ever listened to electronic music but christ REM are/were a load of shit. only people i ever knew who liked REM were vapid teenage girls and people's 'cool' parents. you guys can continue your lovefest in peace but i'm perfectly entitled and justified to chime in with a hearty WTF!? my god michael stipe is a prized bellend but to each their own as always.

good god, who cares?

they haven't pulled a master stroke since 'green'.

i have watched their career, wondering all the way how such an MOR, bland ass guitar band could make it soooooo big.

(see also u2)

the public is a giant cock. that's the only reasonable conclusion.

they should have jacked it in around 1990.

I haven't heard their first album but apparently, when it came out, almost EVERYTHING else on the pop charts was synth pop with heavily reverberated drums, lots of digital effects, 80's anthems basically. And then R.E.M brought it all back to basics with some classic raw folky pop music.

Supposedly that's how they made it big, that's how they stood out. They've only become bland because a lot of people came to the same conclusion that they did (or in some cases were influenced by them).

So I guess the only reason they stayed popular is that they managed to build a big fan base in the first place.

I think their songs do stand out of the crowd though, they're always more catchy and poignant and have WAY more interesting lyrics than most pop music.

only people i ever knew who liked REM were vapid teenage girls and people's 'cool' parents.

?

We're talking about music, records & songs, not people who likes them actually. Abba must have the scariest fan base ever but i still loves Dancing Queen. Judging a record from a fanbase perspective is really childish & superficial. i don't hate lady gaga because her fans are idiots (or not), i just dislikes her music. Same with Richard Wagner ( that i like).

Guest Coalbucket PI

^^ Come on son, pay attention. Keltoi is talking about why he was surprised to see people like REM so much on WATMM.

wow i didn't realise everyone here was so gay

lol

Yeah I don't really have an opinion on REM but credit to them for quitting while somewhat ahead, I think it does your legacy a lot more justice than to fizzle out or start turning what was once a primarily artistic venture into a financial one.

thankyou buckets! :cisfor:

who said i was judging their records by their fans? i judge their music by how it sounds to my ears... and that is as i said... shit.

i don't mind that you like them, i was just surprised that so many of you rate them.

who said i was judging their records by their fans? i judge their music by how it sounds to my ears... and that is as i said... shit.

i don't mind that you like them, i was just surprised that so many of you rate them.

you forget how many posts we have had on The Smiths and Morrissey albums in the past. Not to mention all the absurdly shitty and incredibly cheesy synth/industrial pop i hear name-dropped like its the most brilliant and unique shit ever heard in the 80s.

sall good Keltoi, you mah boi, your opinion is noted. I just think your opinion in this case is ill founded.

you forget how many posts we have had on The Smiths and Morrissey albums in the past. Not to mention all the absurdly shitty and incredibly cheesy synth/industrial pop i hear name-dropped like its the most brilliant and unique shit ever heard in the 80s.

sall good Keltoi, you mah boi, your opinion is noted. I just think your opinion in this case is ill founded.

we are beef-free smetto! but haha oh god i hated the smiths and morrisey too!

What joshuatxuk said. Can´t imagine REM desperate enough for money or attention to do a silly comeback. Although I do believe that they will work with music in some way. Peter Buck has produced a lot of records, and a solo-album from Stipe? Why not?

That's true, Buck and Mills guest a lot on albums, so does Berry (the drummer) but they've never gone into solo ventures. I see Stipe doing more "artsy" things but I don't see him recording a solo album, unless its a super Stipe-y spoken word thing. They're just all so low-key that I don't see them suddenly going into crazy solo careers.

I agree they're overrated, but that doesn't mean they haven't made good songs. U2 are overrated too, and have IMO made considerably less good songs than R.E.M

Plus Bono is a way bigger ass than Michael Stipe lol

Bono.jpg

Technically he's a turd.

i always thought Shiny Happy People was supposed to be ironic? if not that sorta weirds me out as I liked the song for its perceived Morrissey-cheekiness.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7BWrrNjjlA"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7BWrrNjjlA

^@ 9:10

Archived