IGNORED

Me playing a solo on my guitar

Guest mischjok

Guest mischjok

Just thought I´d share this solo from a tune by Liquid tension experiment with you guys. If you don´t know the band, it was/is the side project of three members of DT with another bassist. Pretty interesting music:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=A_LCsNFTBIg&feature=channel_video_title

Guest mischjok

pretty boring. sounds like rock music..

It is prog music.

prog = wank in my book. you've got technical skills though.

Prog is not about technical wanking, but about theory wanking ;)

It is prog music.

quite often it's about both, but theory wanking is the most disgusting kind of wanking, because it necessarily takes the music away from the expression of feelings, and 99% of the time it's made of theorical clichés.

Guest mischjok

It is prog music.

quite often it's about both, but theory wanking is the most disgusting kind of wanking, because it necessarily takes the music away from the expression of feelings, and 99% of the time it's made of theorical clichés.

Theorical cliches...care to post some famous examples?

i think we mean theoretical.

nice fret wanking!

Not sure about how you meant this comment, but there are only two spots in the solo where I "wank".

i count many many more in your 59 sec video. that's alot of fret wanking in under a minute.

but don't get me wrong, you have the skillz to pay the billz! watmmer modey makes some nice electronic prog musics. you should look him up.

Theorical cliches...care to post some famous examples?

Liquid Tension Experiment - Another Dimension

or everything else by LTE or Petrucci

might be just a matter of taste, maybe i'll think the same about idm in a coupla years but i tend to consider that that kind of rock is the output of people with strong musical training and nothing to say.

Guest mischjok

This is by no means an offense, but I believe you´re a bit prejudiced towards this stream of metal/rock. I am well aware of the fact that some prog bands tend to wank recklessly and with no aim, but that´s not the case when it comes to stuff John Petrucci is involved in. He´s widely regarded as a guitarist that can shred like crazy, but then he will turn around and play a very emotive solo. Dream Theater or LTE are no wank-acts, as far as I am concerned.

as far as I am concerned.

that's why i said it could be a matter of taste. i hear no emotion in anything i've heard from petrucci, sounds to me like more or less complex shells of theorical and technical knowledge with no content. sounds like there is nothing spontaneous, it sounds all thought, not felt. and therefore sounds unreal. to me :)

Guest mischjok

as far as I am concerned.

that's why i said it could be a matter of taste. i hear no emotion in anything i've heard from petrucci, sounds to me like more or less complex shells of theorical and technical knowledge with no content. sounds like there is nothing spontaneous, it sounds all thought, not felt. and therefore sounds unreal. to me :)

I guess we´ll have to agree to disagree. To me it seems like we come from different musical backgrounds and it´s actually interesting to see that there is no universal consent on what is good or what isn´t. I also used to think DT was about wanking and showing off, which, as previously stated, applies to certain prog bands, but DT is beyond those schemas, I think.

So what do you think about Symphony X?

By the way, I noticed you´re French (or at least I suppose so). Do you know about Spheric Universe Experience? Without doubt one of the best Prog metal bands I´ve ever heard. They´re from Niza.

what background do you think i come from? and what's yours?

just played a coupla symphony x tracks off youtube, found it really terrible (especially "when all is lost"). even when i was into metal i hated that kind of stuff, the over-romantic vibe and the means used to express it, apart from a coupla fast riffs here and there.

never heard about any french prog metal band but the name "spheric universe experience" sounds like its music will terrible :) like "symphony x" how can you mean something if you name yourself this way?

lol yann. his riffs soar thru his heart and if you don't understand you just don't understand.

i don't understand but i understand there's different riffs for different folk.

lol. it's alright.

why the fck is this on my watmm, lol

Guest mischjok

what background do you think i come from? and what's yours?

just played a coupla symphony x tracks off youtube, found it really terrible (especially "when all is lost"). even when i was into metal i hated that kind of stuff, the over-romantic vibe and the means used to express it, apart from a coupla fast riffs here and there.

never heard about any french prog metal band but the name "spheric universe experience" sounds like its music will terrible :) like "symphony x" how can you mean something if you name yourself this way?

You didn´t ask me to, but here are some recommended songs by Symphony X that I really like:

-Candlelight fantasia

-The accolade I

-The edge of forever

-A winter´s dream

I see you´re striving to find emotions and feelings in prog. There are plenty of them, it´s just not as accesible as in other genres.

Spheric Universe Experience is by far the most emotive prog-band I have had the pleasure to hear. If you decide to approach their music with such a ridiculous thought as "their name is weird. Their music must suck", then I guess I am wasting my time here.

You didn´t ask me to, but here are some recommended songs by Symphony X that I really like:

-Candlelight fantasia

-The accolade I

-The edge of forever

-A winter´s dream

I see you´re striving to find emotions and feelings in prog. There are plenty of them, it´s just not as accesible as in other genres.

Spheric Universe Experience is by far the most emotive prog-band I have had the pleasure to hear. If you decide to approach their music with such a ridiculous thought as "their name is weird. Their music must suck", then I guess I am wasting my time here.

we're both. didn't find their name weird though, i simply found it bad, as it's talking about an experience of something we don't experience, that is exactly what i call wank. they should keep it to themselves :)

Guest mischjok

-Candlelight fantasia

-The accolade I

-The edge of forever

-A winter´s dream

we're both. didn't find their name weird though, i simply found it bad, as it's talking about an experience of something we don't experience, that is exactly what i call wank. they should keep it to themselves :)

You call a band´s name "wank" lol. Are you in a band and if yes, what is it´s name?

Archived