IGNORED

caustic window repress

kinski

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

First time I heard this album was just over 10 years ago - I was sitting in a friend's bathroom getting my hair bleached (such was the way in the early 2000s !), the caustic fumes from the hair peroxide matched the sound of album perfectly !

Richard's coffers must be running low...there's a lot of repress/reissue action going on!

Seriously though, I doubt Richard is behind all these reissues - I think the labels are sensing the fans' need for Aphex, and are capitolizing on that need...

It says "remastered" too so it might be interesting. I'm happy with this reissue politic made by Rephlex, it's definitely not a bad thing if the money they earn that way allow them to put more stuff out and be more active on the electronic scene...Not to mention a possible preparation for new Aphex coming..?

I know the 3LP has been reissued a few times, but I suppose it's interesting that the CD gets re-released, as I can't recall it ever having gotten a second press (correct me if I'm wrong.)

I wonder what "remastered" means...

I know the 3LP has been reissued a few times, but I suppose it's interesting that the CD gets re-released, as I can't recall it ever having gotten a second press (correct me if I'm wrong.)

I wonder what "remastered" means...

Me too. Hope they don't do it over and over like on R&S…

One of the interesting things about the CD version of the Caustic WIndow Compilation is it finally gave proper, "official" names to all the tracks that appeared on the vinyl (sans of course the one from J5 featuring samples from R2-D2 from Star Wars and the omage to Hot Butter's "Popcorn" that appeared on J4). It would be neat if they finally included those vinyl-only tracks on this version.

One of the interesting things about the CD version of the Caustic WIndow Compilation is it finally gave proper, "official" names to all the tracks that appeared on the vinyl (sans of course the one from J5 featuring samples from R2-D2 from Star Wars and the omage to Hot Butter's "Popcorn" that appeared on J4). It would be neat if they finally included those vinyl-only tracks on this version.

I love Caustic Window. I don't know much about the state of hardcore techno and gabber back then but I always found this to be extremely novel for 1993. Do you think there's a chance they'll put the two vinyl only tracks on? I figured a copyright issue applied (I think that's been mentioned in the past actually), after all "popcorn" sampled the moog version of the song right? And well, then there's the almighty George Lucas...

Let's wait til somebody purchased one of this.

I haven't heard this for donkey's years. As I remember I hated it lol, I wonder if I still do?....

Cordialatron and On the Romance Tip are absolutely divine. It's a shame they weren't released on another consistent ambient techno album along with CAT 00897-AA1, Cuckoo, AB4's track 4 and n.IASP. The Analogue Bubblebaths and the Caustic Window compilation seem even more than most of his albums to be collections of random tracks he had lying around that don't really fit together all that well. Having said that, I love The Garden of Linmiri, but then I remember the advert it was in from my childhood...

Ahhh

I haven't heard this for donkey's years. As I remember I hated it lol, I wonder if I still do?....

Cordialatron and On the Romance Tip are absolutely divine. It's a shame they weren't released on another consistent ambient techno album along with CAT 00897-AA1, Cuckoo, AB4's track 4 and n.IASP. The Analogue Bubblebaths and the Caustic Window compilation seem even more than most of his albums to be collections of random tracks he had lying around that don't really fit together all that well. Having said that, I love The Garden of Linmiri, but then I remember the advert it was in from my childhood...

Ahhhh I remember On the Romance Tip. It's the only track I remember liking, most of the other stuff was a bit gnarly. I might get this (as I quite like gnarly nowadays).

Ahhhh I remember On the Romance Tip. It's the only track I remember liking, most of the other stuff was a bit gnarly. I might get this (as I quite like gnarly nowadays).

It sounds like we're at pretty much the same mental place. Check out Cordialatron, it's almost as nice as On the Romance Tip. It's mad that such nice tracks were only released on such relatively obscure EPs, but then again the same's true of Hangable Auto Bulb, especially the second part. I think he just goes out of his way to try to be unpopular. :D

The Garden Of Linmiri……… there is a nice version of that tune he played at Big Day Out several years ago. In the midpoint he is farting a horrible white noise between Linmiri's drums… A guy I worked with years ago copied a crappy 112kbps file of that live set on my harddrive. Maybe some of you know this. It's pretty good with some classics thrown in too.

It's just what eccentics do I suppose

Driving a tank or living in a bank is eccentric. Throwing a bunch of tracks together haphazardly is more likely a cash grab or portfolio builder. I guess you could classify both kinds of behaviour under the broader term of simply not caring... It's a shame, because a lot of his individual tracks are great, it's just the releases as a whole that don't really gel together very well.

ICBYD being a good example. So many songs I hate, so many songs I love. Definately a ping-pong album for me.

Yes, all his albums are like that for me. I only like half of ...ICBYD, but I really like it in a way that no other music quite manages to reach (although Kissing a Robot Goodbye gets close). The same, to a lesser or greater extent, is true of almost all his albums. If everyone disagrees about which are the good tracks, fair enough, it's a difference of opinion. But when pretty much everyone's in agreement (such as I'm Self Employed being a good track), it starts to seem a bit arbitrary which tracks were picked and which weren't. Especially with the re-release of Surfing on Sine Waves, which has some previously unreleased tracks which sound (to my ears, at least) better than some of the originals.

I can't remember the timeline in which I heard ICBYD (as in relation to his other releases) but it was an early lesson that Aphex will make tracks I equally worship and hate. I quite like that though, heheh. To me it's what listening to Aphex is all about so it doesn't bother me too much.

Guest EleminoP

gwc sent hat this message on facebook, and asked him to pass it along

hello again. boomkat are selling in some represses of AFX/Caustic Window. I knew they ve been in the pipeline for time, but heard about the actual release via a WATMM/thread this morning. I'm not registered on it so cannot reply. Boomkat are saying it's remastered, repackaged with an extra track. this is not true. i've emailed the distrubutors and boomkat about this but it's still me that will get the stick for it. I thought i ought to inform you about it.

Archived