IGNORED

Dates for SAW 85-92

KyonPalm

Apologies if this is jazz, but I've always wondered, what year was each track from SAW 85-92 made in? 1985 to 1992 is a big difference in the music scene, as I'm sure you know, so to know what year he made each song would help me understand them better. I've got some vague ideas which I will post at the bottom. Also, if someone like Joyrex could tell some more interesting tidbits about the album like the whole "Tha" being the second part of his girlfriend's name thing, it'd be much appreciated. I never knew that. Anyway, my ideas...

Xtal: 1985

Tha: 1989

Pulsewidth: 1988

Ageispolis: 1988

i: 1990

Green Calx: 1988

Heliosphan: 1987

We Are The Music Makers: 1986

Schottkey 7th Path: 1989

Ptolemy: 1988

Hedphelym: 1990

Delphium: 1989

Actium: 1990

As you can see, I'm not too sure what could stretch it to '92... possibly "i" if I had to guess.

Well Xtal samples Opus 3 - "It's A Fine Day" and that was released in 1992, so yeah... :mellow:

Ah, really? Wasn't aware of that... I suppose I'm as off as I can be there, then, haha.

And YO303, I think he probably used as much original material as possible... possibly none of it was re-recorded. I say that given the awful quality instantly recognizable as cassette tape hiss and distortion. I imagine he used better quality reels and stuff for his later works say, by the late '80s, but the quality on some of the tracks isn't quite right for that... I could be wrong, though.

I don't think he was making those tracks when he was 14 years old. I think that is bullshit. I think he was making music at that age, but probably not anything he has ever released.

I don't think he was making those tracks when he was 14 years old. I think that is bullshit. I think he was making music at that age, but probably not anything he has ever released.

From this page:

http://rdj.moto-coda...aq/afxfaq26.txt

"

"Where was _Surfing On Sine Waves_ recorded?"

The Polygon Window LP was written entirely in the deep south west of Cornwall

between 1986 and 1989 apart from "Quoth" and "If It Really Is Me," which were

updated due to a spillage of orange juice on the master tapes. The tracks

were created in the Llanerlog studios. The studios are set close to the coast

where the cover photos were taken. "

Personally I wouldn't be surprised if that's true. Also, Mike Paradinas stated somewhere, if my memory serves me correctly, that RDJ started making music (or at least started trying to make music) when he was 12 (or 11).

well we could all say that. i used to make my own silly radio shows with my brother when i was 8 or 9... and record and loop stuff off the radio, and sing along to The Troggs... so what. :emotawesomepm9:

well we could all say that. i used to make my own silly radio shows with my brother when i was 8 or 9... and record and loop stuff off the radio, and sing along to The Troggs... so what. :emotawesomepm9:

So nothing. I am personally not bothered with how old was RDJ when he made SAW85-92 or SOSW, as long as music is that good. I just wrote what other (famous) people said, not that it is any guarantee of the truth. Also, in the interview I attached to this post, RDJ said that (in 1993.) some stuff from Ambient Works was around four to five years old. Maybe he made that up. Fine. Doesn't matter really. We'll never probably have any actual evidence of him producing the music at those times, anyway. We might speculate about this for ages. That doesn't change the fact that the music is great. That's eventually only thing that's important.

Well Xtal samples Opus 3 - "It's A Fine Day" and that was released in 1992, so yeah... :mellow:

The same track that Orbital sampled in Halcyon + On + On? I love the lush timbre Kirsty Hawkshaw sings that in... Am I the only one obsessive enough to pay a session singer to sing original vocals for her instead of sampling other people's songs, then? (Not to mention The Future Sound of London sampling Mary Hopkin's vocal from Rachel's Song...)

The same track that Orbital sampled in Halcyon + On + On? I love the lush timbre Kirsty Hawkshaw sings that in... Am I the only one obsessive enough to pay a session singer to sing original vocals for her instead of sampling other people's songs, then? (Not to mention The Future Sound of London sampling Mary Hopkin's vocal from Rachel's Song...)

most musicians would rather save the money and buy drugs or faders. i mean, both are as important.

most musicians would rather save the money and buy drugs or faders. i mean, both are as important.

It just seems like a false economy, you either have to pay royalties or risk getting sued. That and you don't have any artistic control over how the sample sounds if you didn't commission it.

i don't really follow your last sentence.

but let's not turn this into another boring discussion about making our own music. i mean, nobody cares.

unless you're richard, then fire away.

Richard's mother knew he was going to be a musician, so she built a mini-studio inside her uterus. Songs recorded during that era will be relased later this year as "Selected Uterus Works: December 1970 - August 1971"

Archived