IGNORED

IDM of the Year!

Root5

So I'm going to take up the torch for organizing this years IDM bracketology.

This is a brainstorming thread, so please post replies with as many suggestions for the most IDM thing of 2011 as you can think of.

Today at 10 pm, Vancouver time, I'll close this thread and shortly after I'll open a new thread we can all vote for as many of the suggestions as we want. The winning 64 will make it into the bracketology. Here's a new and updated schedule:

March 23rd, 10 pm: Deadline for brainstorming

March 26th, 11 pm: Deadline for free voting

March 28th, 11 pm: Deadline for voting on the initial 64

March 30th, 11 pm: Deadline for voting on the 32

April 1st, 11 pm: Deadline for voting on 16

April 3rd, 11 pm: Deadline for voting on the quarterfinals

April 5th, 11 pm: Deadline for voting on the semifinals

April 8th 11 pm: Deadline for voting on the final match

Note that all times are Vancouver time, and they may be a little bit rough on account of my own day to day events.

At the end, I will declare a winner, and we can start thinking about a compilation album.

Let the brainstorming begin!

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sorry dudes. I corrected it. Now it's for 2011.

But try not to get caught up in one happened the past year. Just think about what you consider to be the most IDM thing right now, and of all time.

Bonobos!

cG9Ug.jpg

These are easily the most IDM creatures in the world. They are the closest living relatives to human beings, and in their society, rather than competing and fighting with each other (humans), they use sex to resolve their conflict.

http://www.unl.edu/r...nobo/bonobo.htm

Bonobos lubricate the gears of social harmony with sex, in all possible permutations and combinations: males with females, males with males, females with females, and even infants with adults. The sexual acts include intercourse, genital-to-genital rubbing, oral sex, mutual masturbation and even a practice that people once thought they had a patent on: French kissing.

Bonobos use sex to appease, to bond, to make up after a fight, to ease tensions, to cement alliances. Humans generally wait until after a nice meal to make love; bonobos do it beorehand, to alleviate the stress and competitiveness often seen among animals when they encounter a source of food.

http://www.primates....nobosexsoc.html

First, anything, not just food, that arouses the interest of more than one bonobo at a time tends to result in sexual contact. If two bonobos approach a cardboard box thrown into their enclosure, they will briefly mount each other before playing with the box. Such situations lead to squabbles in most other species. But bonobos are quite tolerant, perhaps because they use sex to divert attention and to diffuse tension.

I once observed a young male, Kako, inadvertently blocking an older, female juvenile, Leslie, from moving along a branch. First, Leslie pushed him; Kako, who was not very confident in trees, tightened his grip, grinning nervously. Next Leslie gnawed on one of his hands, presumably to loosen his grasp. Kako uttered a sharp peep and stayed put. Then Leslie rubbed her vulva against his shoulder. This gesture calmed Kako, and he moved along the branch. It seemed that Leslie had been very close to using force but instead had reassured both herself and Kako with sexual contact.

slide_4737_65559_large.jpg

etc.

Seconding moss. Lots of thematic potential there. Jellyfish are IDM but a bit too similar to the sealife compilation.

Giant skyscraper farms in the middle of cities full of growing pulsating semi-sentient meatcubes

Rube Goldberg

Volcanoes

Archived