IGNORED

brainwashed.com review of Chosen Lords

Guest KarakasaMusic

How so? Yes the reviewers opinion may differ from your own (and in some aspects mine as well). But that certainly does not make the reviewer a "dumb fucker".

cheers for the link Mr.Pallas

i can see how one can have the opinion this author had in this three paragraph going-through-the-motions plot summary of Chosen Lords, but i can't see how one can have that opinion and think "fenix funk 5" was one of the worst tracks. unforunately the reviewer presents a pretty tired perspective and presents no new insight on the album. the diction is bland and the sentences seem systematically squeezed out of a playdo press--apropos for the reading level required to empathize with the author's sentiments. on the whole i saw nothing worth reading again and probably won't keep up with any of the author's other reviews. 3/10

Guest AlexPallas

i think it is easy to form a low opinion of the Analords simply because they seem straight forward at first listen, but there is some really good stuff here, the analords were my final lesson in acid, i don't think there is much more to learn...

i can see how one can have the opinion this author had in this three paragraph going-through-the-motions plot summary of Chosen Lords, but i can't see how one can have that opinion and think "fenix funk 5" was one of the worst tracks. unforunately the reviewer presents a pretty tired perspective and presents no new insight on the album. the diction is bland and the sentences seem systematically squeezed out of a playdo press--apropos for the reading level required to empathize with the author's sentiments. on the whole i saw nothing worth reading again and probably won't keep up with any of the author's other reviews. 3/10

zwn. :duel:

Guest An urban black kid

:devil:

am i the only one who agrees with him? i mean aphex in all glory, but honestly, the only tracks i liked was on analord 2

.. most other tracks may have some good ideas but loop endlessly in a boring way for me to lose interest very quickly.

Guest masterdome

Reviewers like this are a dime a dozen. The 'reviewer' obviously has his favorites that he uses as his only comparisons, listens to the cd once or just skips thru, then shoots off a 3 paragraph opinion piece... and on to the next review. Deadlines! Even boomkat.com's review was a bit cheeky seeing as they lauded each individual 12 inch as the best releases of the year. All in all I suppose I'm trying to say that most reviews have little or no critical thought to them, though the latest Mojo and Uncut have a few decent observations.

Guest mushroom

I liked it better when Aphex made innovative shit and blew us the fuck away. Analord isn't bad, it's just boring.

Guest Holy Crap
the Analogue Bubblebath or Hangable Auto Bulb releases which still sound more progressive than the Analord tracks.

I'd have to agree with this

The reviewer just doesn't get it at all I reckon. He's probably into Radiohead really. There was no mention of the word "acid" at all. The best he could come up with was "wobbly noises". The man has obviously never even heard of the TB-303, Acid House or RDJ's more obscure releases (Universal Indicator etc) and hence all musical reviews by him should immediately be discounted.

I would agree that he is ONE DUMB FUCKER.

Guest AlexPallas
The reviewer just doesn't get it at all I reckon. He's probably into Radiohead really. There was no mention of the word "acid" at all. The best he could come up with was "wobbly noises". The man has obviously never even heard of the TB-303, Acid House or RDJ's more obscure releases (Universal Indicator etc) and hence all musical reviews by him should immediately be discounted.

I would agree that he is ONE DUMB FUCKER.

the guy knows his music, but he obviously doesn't know his acid.

Analord is quite simply the best acid i have ever heard to date, in fact in blows everything away. maybe Ceephax has great beats, but RDJ has amazing beats with ingenious melody. I'll be the first to admit that the Analords didn't break any new ground, but they took classic acid to it's full potential. this might just be a way of getting over the old acid style for good.

as i listend to the analords first i had the same impression the author has - that was the reason why i didn't buy the binder right away. after some listening i was able to unterstand it and today i listen to it more then anything else.

its not about effects - the analords are much more sophisticated than that

but dont take reviews to much in concern, as we deal here more with a classical music approach in arrangement it is complety normal to have the same reactions cassical music composers had 100 years ago

Analord is quite simply the best acid i have ever heard to date, in fact in blows everything away. maybe Ceephax has great beats, but RDJ has amazing beats with ingenious melody. I'll be the first to admit that the Analords didn't break any new ground, but they took classic acid to it's full potential. this might just be a way of getting over the old acid style for good.

I totally agree. I'm in the minority, but the Analord series is one of my favorite releases by Richard. It doesn't cover any new ground but it's pretty much the pinnacle of a genre for me. This is acid at its best, and it's even cooler that it's all made on hardware. Sure the collection is spotty in places, but there are enough amazing tracks to fill an 80 minute CD. I will admit that I was disppointed in the tracks on Chosen Lords, as I would have picked a much different tracklist. But oh well...

Guest Promo

"wobbly noises" :laughing:

I agree Analord is dull. I lost interest pretty quickly too. Problem is all the harmonies are just so fuckin depressing and lifeless. That said 'Fenix Funk 5' is a damn good track.

"The analord period frustrating" I can relate to a bit... at one point I thought he should probably stop but not I realise it's a wickid series with only a few exceptions... I brought the vinyls to pay my respect.

Guest mushroom

It just seems to me that if you're going to do something as infinitely stagnant a genre as acid house, at least make it fun to listen to. Some of the melodies in Analord's tracks are just embarrassingly bad. Ceephax's self-titled LP, on the other hand, has some of the most captivatingly emotional melodies I've ever heard from the genre. Check out The Snake Block or Acid Le Soken to see what I'm talking about.

Yeah I think most of us have heard Ceephax and agree that it's good

Acid Le Soken is a fantastic track

I still think Analord is really good, and this isn't fanboy-ism because I didn't like Drukqs

*gets tossed face first out of subforum*

Guest AlexPallas
Ceephax's self-titled LP, on the other hand, has some of the most captivatingly emotional melodies I've ever heard from the genre.

i hate to call you simple, and i certainly wouldn't call ceephax simple, but in comparison with the analords ceephax does sound simple. the analords aren't as mathmatical as some older acid stuff, so the classic samples can easily confuse any listeners looking for a strict pattern.

wags finger @ six for drukqs remark (lol)

am i the only one who agrees with him? i mean aphex in all glory, but honestly, the only tracks i liked was on analord 2

.. most other tracks may have some good ideas but loop endlessly in a boring way for me to lose interest very quickly.

i completely 100% agree with the reviewer, except for fenix funk. The only time i can get into analord is when im stoned or drunk. When i am sober its very difficult to find it captivating at all.

i wouldnt really call analord straight forward acid, Universal indicator green = acid , Analord = some acid tunes but mostly old school analogue synth electronic music.

Guest mushroom

I guess I'm just disappointed at the fact that every album Aphex has released up until Chosen Lords has been utter genius; completely unlike anything heard before the time. I really hope he gets back on track soon.

Archived