IGNORED

thinking of getting a Playstation3

Guest Coalbucket PI

Guest Coalbucket PI

Hi guys,

I think I want to get a PS3 but I'm completely out of the loop with consoles and stuff since basically before these next gen consoles happened.I want to play a couple of games specifically (GTA4, MGS4) mostly for old times sake, and probably sign up for Netflix with it.

Is it free to go online with it or is that a subscription type of thing?

I don't understand the different models or the importance of the hard disk size, what is the purpose of the hard disk?

Does it play PS1 or PS2 games?

Does it play DVDs?

Will it network with my computer or anything, can I stream music from iTunes for example?

Is any of the jailbreak type stuff simple or worthwhile?

Thanks WAtmm

Hi guys,

I think I want to get a PS3 but I'm completely out of the loop with consoles and stuff since basically before these next gen consoles happened.I want to play a couple of games specifically (GTA4, MGS4) mostly for old times sake, and probably sign up for Netflix with it.

Is it free to go online with it or is that a subscription type of thing?

I don't understand the different models or the importance of the hard disk size, what is the purpose of the hard disk?

Does it play PS1 or PS2 games?

Does it play DVDs?

Will it network with my computer or anything, can I stream music from iTunes for example?

Thanks WAtmm

I got a PS3 in December, my first console since the '90s. For the most part, I'm really happy with it.

You don't have to pay for playstation network access. You can pay for an enhanced subscription, but I haven't. The free one works for getting online and downloading games and apps.

I stream Amazon Prime videos; there's a Netflix function, too. The Amazon one works great and I'd assume the Netflix one is solid.

It plays DVDs and Blu-Ray, and does so very well. It's quieter and faster than my older Samsung Blu-Ray player.

PSN is still free. There's PSN Plus for early access to demo's and some bonus crap but you can play games online without PSN Plus.

Hard disk is used to install games, often required for PS3 titles. Unless you play a lot of games, you don't really need a large drive. I have a 60GB model and never ran out of disk space. You can upgrade the drive to a higher RPM one to decrease loading times if you so desire.

It does not play PS1 or PS2 games.

It does play DVD's.

I don't know if you can stream from iTunes, but it can connect to UPNP mediaservers. Edit: seems like iTunes wont support it. You should be able to find a media server program. However, the PS3 has horrible codec support and you can not play/stream music while playing a game.

Jailbreaks are a pain. You can run into stability issues and you will need to patch certain games.

Guest Coalbucket PI

Thanks baph and Ego. This has largely solved my major issues, and you are both looking well.

To clarify, do you have to install some aspect of the games on the hard drive, presumably so they run quicker?

I have no idea what UPNP mediaservers are, but I take it what you are saying is that it can stream music through the wireless network but not via iTunes? I know people use them as a sort of 'media centre' although I feel too old to use that phrase. I guess you can save MP3s on the PS3?

Also concerning the PS1/2 games, someone mentioned that he had downloaded copies of PS2 games, is that a thing?

I think there are select PS1 and/or PS2 titles available for download on the PSN. Not many, though. The initial version of the PS3, IIRC, actually supported PS2 disks, but the new versions do not.

You can rip MP3s right to the PS3 hard drive. If you plan on doing that, might be a good reason to get a bigger hard drive.

I bought the Uncharted 3 bundle, which for some reason included the 300 GB HDD version for the same price as the 160 GB HDD version and Uncharted 3. It made no sense, but it was a great deal, and I think it's still available?

I stream music from iTunes to an airport express tucked into the back of my audioengine speakers, so I can't help you there, unfortunately.

edit: games seem to install more or less data to the hard drive. It varies. Some seem to just install save states. But Bioshock took a full half hour (or more) to install, significantly more than any other games I currently have. Downloading full games from the PSN obviously uses the most disk space.

i've got a 160gb one, mainly just use it for Worms lol. i also have it set up as a media server, but hardly ever actually use it as such. the HD is used for storing games, music and video. you can like, download films and shit, put all your MP3's on it and hook it up to your stereo and download games to your HD for faster access etc

online stuff is free.

you can download a lot of old PS1 and PS2 games (which work on the PS3 obviously) from the PlayStation store.

bbc and c4 tv streams also available for free in the uk. Very happy with my playstation, only got 6 games but it does everything i need it to. The bluray and dvd player were the deal breaker to be fair

Guest Coalbucket PI

Ok thanks chaps.

I don't really see how I will need a lot of HD space since I won't play a lot of games and I don't really need it as a main storage for media, I could probably just shift stuff on and off... so I'll probably just gor for an 80GB although some of those bundles are tempting.

One more, can anyone confirm that it connects up to an old school cathode ray telly, with scart or the red/yellow/white inputs?

One more, can anyone confirm that it connects up to an old school cathode ray telly, with scart or the red/yellow/white inputs?

Seriously, get an HDTV with HDMI first. Otherwise there's sort of... no point. You can stream Netflix for a lot cheaper with a set top box rather than paying for a PS3, and without 16:9 and HD resolution, I don't think you're going to be particularly impressed with this generation of console game playing.

lol yeah don't get a PS3 without having an HDTV - as baph said, absolutely no point. may as well just get a PS2 as the graphics will be pretty much the same on a non-HDTV.

Seriously, get an HDTV with HDMI first. Otherwise there's sort of... no point. You can stream Netflix for a lot cheaper with a set top box rather than paying for a PS3, and without 16:9 and HD resolution, I don't think you're going to be particularly impressed with this generation of console game playing.

my little brother fares just fine with his PS3 running on a small LCD screen that is neither HD or 16:9

:shrug:

aCGIg.jpg

you could get an inexpensive HD pc monitor with a hdmi>DVI lead then run the audio thru a regular ps2 scart/rgb hooked up to a stereo or small 2.1 setup. You can configure the PS3 in lots of ways.

I run mine thru 37" 1080p Toshiba £280-299 from richer sounds and its perfect but be cautious of some LCDs with a slow refresh rate (over 6ms) as you dont want a blurry mess. Its also best running some better speakers as all flat screen tvs sound as flat as they look.

essential PS3 games;

God of War collection (1&2) & GoW3(awsome game)

Uncharted 1,2&3 (epic)

MGS4

Killzone 2&3

Wipout HD

GT5

Infamous 1&2

the blu ray is ace

the browser is toss

online membership is free or paid but you can play online games for free

the online shop has some good budget games

it will play most avi/divx/mp4 but not region 1 dvds

you will need to be online for updates but the built in wireless is easy to set up a mate had problems with a particular modem

but the games must surely have more going on than ps2 games??

in terms of what? graphics? sure they do but you'll need an HDTV to see it. if you're talking about storyline, content etc then in my experience a lot of the games have a lot less going on than their older counterparts on the PS2.

yeah i meant storyline, content, things characters or whatever can do... like bbq a dog or use the cigarette lighter in cars or something.

if it just looks better but has less stuff, that's not cool.

i bought one of the older (60 gb i think?) drives, and only now do I occasionally uninstall or delete old save files to free up space. So you can make a 60gb drive go a long way, just uninstall the games you aren't currently playing (the saves and all that info still stays on the PS3, unless you wish to dleet that also.)

my little brother fares just fine with his PS3 running on a small LCD screen that is neither HD or 16:9

aCGIg.jpg

I know it'll work... to each 'is own. I'll just say that your brother and I appear to have done different cost benefit analyses on this purchase, lol.

The HDD will store saves, DLC, Demos, Digital Purchases, Music etc.

Really depends if you want to buy physical packaged goods (hence running the data from the disc) or will start buying digitally from the PS Store. As more and more titles are being made available digitally as well as physically, if you think you'll buy more digtal copies then you'll need a bigger HDD.

In any case, the "slim" models only come in 160 or 320GB and are all you can buy from retailers. The 80 GB is one of the older models, which will only be available second hand. Personally I'd get a slim version as it runs much quieter. 160 GB should be well enough.

Yes. Try this, it's pretty good and free: http://www.ps3mediaserver.org/

I wouldn't say it's that simple, and probably not really worht it. Just depends on what you want to do by jailbreaking it.

Enjoy, it's a good system.

the only reason there ever was to buy a ps3 was dark souls, now its coming to the PC there is no point at all.

That's not true (perhaps for you, though) - there are lots of reasons to get a PS3. I'd counter too that it's cheaper than most modern graphics cards, let alone a whole PC just to play games and what's required to do that :trollface:

aCGIg.jpg

I know it'll work... to each 'is own. I'll just say that your brother and I appear to have done different cost benefit analyses on this purchase, lol.

Pretty sure my brother, who was about 14 at the time of getting it, didn't make any decision other than "MOM I WANT A PLAYSTATION 3 FOR MY BIRTHDAY SO I CAN PLAY COD BLOPS BLOPS BRAAAAP BLOP plop hurr"

Archived