IGNORED

Flaming Lips - The Terror

Nil

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest bitroast

knowing it's not on the album is definitely helping me enjoy the song.

i'd be judging/over analysis/nit-picking it alittle too much otherwise:)

• 4 weeks later...

i dunno, is it? it's honestly just really boring and uninspired. sounds like outtakes from embryonic. nothing better than a second listen dismissal of an album that isn't out yet.

• 1 month later...

I love how those Flaming Lips videos are taking shit long to buffer on youtube. I still think they should take a less textural approach to their material. It feels like a collage since Embryonic.

Guest zaphod

i hate the vocals on this. the way they're recorded really keeps everything at a distance. i think it's a huge disadvantage because the record already feels nebulous. it's just not an involving listen in the way embryonic was. probably their weakest album since...i don't even know.

• 3 weeks later...

I think this album is a bit heavy in way that doesn't lend itself to internet snap judgment criticism. You may not like it and that's valid, but you also might think differently if you listened to it in a year or two in a different frame of mind. It makes me think of comedians who can be incredibly funny but whose humor stems from a bleak outlook on life.

Guest zaphod

i get and kind of like the idea behind it, i just don't find the music compelling at all. it's one long sludge of a song.

I received the CD a week ago or so, and I love it.

It's obviously different from their previous records, and I kind of miss the raw energy/funk of Embryonic (def. one of my very favorite records) but still, there are some beautiful droney songs in it. Most of them are.

Just gave it my first listen. Wow, i love the production on this. I haven't heard another album quite like it, though Embryonic has some shared elements. Those organs, those reverbs, those rotary speakers make the whole thing sound haunted. It wavers between beautiful and so strange that I can't help but smile. Definitely a great album to listen to in the dark, as I have just done. It's nice that they're relying on the atmosphere as opposed to the volume to keep it sounding interesting this time around. The drumming does take a back seat, which may be a disappointment to some, but for this album it was the right choice. They really captured a vibe and saw it through to the end. Based off what I had heard about the album, and their recent gimmicky releases, I was afraid it was going to be a mish mash of half baked ideas --and I can see why some people may view it that way. But I think it's a challenging and ambitious album which succeeds in taking their music some new and exciting places. As for the lyrics... well, it sounds like Wayne Coyne's not even trying anymore: the sun, fear, love, death, repeat. Nothing new there. But everything else gets my seal of approval.

Archived