IGNORED

STS9 - Roygbiv

Ifeelspace

Good evening WATMM. I realise this is jazz, but I cannot recall the topic I saw it in. Just wondered what your opinions of this are? On the one hand, if I ignore the visuals (and I did hear this before I saw the vid) I think it's pretty amazing. But then I see them all there on stage and it feels incredibly geeky.

Basically, am i a bad person if I like covers of my favourite tunes by bands that i have never heard of?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bPxK4Eai7Hw

nah, mostly you're just a bad person for enjoying STS9's hippy elevator music wankery :wink:

I feared as much. I will cease immediately

Great band. Great cover. Amazing venue [/former resident]

I like you better than that other dude. I changed my mind. It's pretty dope!

The main thing that makes this bad is the drummer. He's playing a straight 4/4 beat, which just totally kills the vibe of the track and turns it into, yes, jammy elevator music. The little clinky hi-hat sound in the original is what gives the track a swung, hip-hop feel and makes it chill to the max.

The next thing is the piano player -- he doesn't play the second chord after the minor 7th, the one that resolves to a ... sixth chord? (You can hear it between 0:50 and 0:51 in the video below.) And they lose the ambiguity of the last chord of the 4th bar, where it could be either the fourth or the harmonic minor of the fourth. So you get the minor the first time, at 1:00, but you get the major at 1:22.

Third, the guitar player doesn't play the end of the second bar of the main melody right. He plays it in a pentatonic scale -- fith-fourth-second-major third (around 2:12) -- when the original is in a major scale -- fourth-major third-root-major third (around 0:57). I know this sounds stupid, but it totally makes the melody BOC, creepy-happy-but-still-happy.

And I think it doesn't have the same feeling without that delayed walk-up synth (e.g., at 0:35). That line ends on a minor sixth, which adds a nice harmonic tension.

Their arrangement though, with the fuzz bass and the guitar melody, makes me think that Tortoise could probably do an awesome cover of roygbiv!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yT0gRc2c2wQ

Archived