IGNORED

The Technique Thread

LimpyLoo

How about a thread devoted to improving our craft?

Jazz/DnB drummer Mark Guiliana talking about different compositional elements:

pt. 2 (performance):

Cleaning up "muddy" mixes (a common problem IMHO):

Nerd explains how to attain Dilla swing:

The RecordingRevolution stuff is decent. He did 60 vids called "5 minutes to a better" that I found helpful. I try to ignore the fact that all the songs he mixes are about devoting your life to Jesus.

Great video if you wanna understand basic synthesis in and out:

I love breakcore. There's a million ways to make it. Here's some techniques and ideas:

A drastically slowed-down "Flim" to hear what's actually going on:

Also, I might start another thread where I post audio examples of different concepts like the Haas Effect, Sidechain Compression, Advanced Harmony, Metric Modulation, Classic Polyrhythms, etc.

Does that sound cool? Like a workshop thread where folks can shed ideas and whatnot?

Personally, I'd love to see a resource like that get developed here. I'd love to see how everyone makes beats...

I would be very interested to see or read about some different break manipulation techniques using Renoise. I tinkered with trackers years ago and I remember some great uses of the sample re-triggering and offsets but I couldn't wrap my head around it at the time.

Check out the DAED Demo in renoise 2.8

Guest Frankie5fingers

good thread! limpyloo you're the best noob in ages. well done.

i gotta agree. this is a great thread. its helping me out quite a bit.

good thread! limpyloo you're the best noob in ages. well done.

Thanks a bunch.

I got a sh-101 so my ass is sorted but for all y'all that don't here's how to make some acid bass (kinda Ableton-specific, but hey whatever):

I study Brazilian drumming and I've found that Brazilian 16th notes--when trying to emulate the rhythms of an instrument called the Tamborim--have alot in common with "wonky beats" and Dilla swing and all that.

If you're having trouble breathing life into your drums (quantized-to-grid drums can sound a bit rigid) this is great stuff to think about. This guy gets into it a bit towards the end (sorry for the shitty audio):

So here's my findings about Brazilian 16th's and Dilla feel: they're both best explained in terms of 5's.

1 2 3 4 5 1 2 3 4 5 1 2 3 4 5 1 2 3 4 5

They both accent 1 and 4. The only difference is that with Brazilian 16th's you would actually play 2 and 3 as ghost notes (i.e. quiet notes) whereas with the Dilla feel you would not play them at all. Keep in mind that the 5 is always silent and is really just a place-holder. Also keep in mind that this will sound awkward at slower tempos but as it gets faster it will sound smoother.

So if your DAW is up to the task of odd meters, this might be fun to actually set it to a grid. If not, you'll just have to slum it and use your ears (you know, like Dilla and Brazilian drummers :tongue: ).

(Oops!)

I got a sh-101 so my ass is sorted but for all y'all that don't here's how to make some acid bass (kinda Ableton-specific, but hey whatever):

I study Brazilian drumming and I've found that Brazilian 16th notes--when trying to emulate the rhythms of an instrument called the Tamborim--have alot in common with "wonky beats" and Dilla swing and all that.

If you're having trouble breathing life into your drums (quantized-to-grid drums can sound a bit rigid) this is great stuff to think about. This guy gets into it a bit towards the end (sorry for the shitty audio):

So here's my findings about Brazilian 16th's and Dilla feel: they're both best explained in terms of 5's.

1 2 3 4 5 1 2 3 4 5 1 2 3 4 5 1 2 3 4 5

They both accent 1 and 4. The only difference is that with Brazilian 16th's you would actually play 2 and 3 as ghost notes (i.e. quiet notes) whereas with the Dilla feel you would not play them at all. Keep in mind that the 5 is always silent and is really just a place-holder. Also keep in mind that this will sound awkward at slower tempos but as it gets faster it will sound smoother.

So if your DAW is up to the task of odd meters, this might be fun to actually set it to a grid. If not, you'll just have to slum it and use your ears (you know, like Dilla and Brazilian drummers :tongue: ).

Does that sound cool? Like a workshop thread where folks can shed ideas and whatnot?

Personally, I'd love to see a resource like that get developed here. I'd love to see how everyone makes beats...

i think this is a really cool idea. it always helps me to learn what others do, get some new perspectives to help me develop my own

Archived