IGNORED

'Global Warming's Terrifying New Math'

autopilot

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, ignatius said:

i really hope this shit doesn't even come close to happening. 

it won't. the amount of political fighting that a project like this will stir up will surely be the death of it. which is actually a positive... the political shit show here stopping a pie in the sky fantasy land idea like this is actually how it is supposed to work. government 1, crazy billionaire utopia 0.

• 1 month later...
14 hours ago, iococoi said:

doomer scroll nirvana. he takes apart a lot of things. builds on some other narratives and data that's in this thread.  paints a dire picture for sure. 

i appreciate the take down of some of the bullshit. sadly it doesn't have 100 million views. if people lined up behind all this we'd be in the streets and exxon mobile ceos etc would have their heads on pikes or something. 

the other video in here w/an interview w/the guy who worked for nasa measuring the distance to the moon using lasers and mirrors etc.. his solution is really the only one right? "dismantle capitalism/market economy immediately" 

the idea of some kind of middle ground in all this seems fleeting at best if all this doom is accurate

• Like 1

this was a good vid on a specific aspect of climate change. these smaller focused things do a lot more to stick with me personally than the big overview stuff. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, iococoi said:

the only way modern civilization can be maintained is by redefining what modern civilization is, and a drastic redesign of the means of production itself - production and distribution - through communalization of resources to remove redundancies and waste, while maintaining social equity and local self sufficiency.  literally communism.  everyone just gets scared of it tho cuz they heard that word used last century and got told it was bad, for some reason they won't elaborate on since it all traces back to a bunch of literal cold war or Nazi anti-communist propaganda

Ft Lauderdale got 20 inches of rain yesterday! wtf. they closed the airport.  there's cars floating and getting more rain today. people's houses are in 4ft of water now. 

rH3Bngs.jpg

Edited by ignatius

• 2 weeks later...

Boiling frog as we speak

OISST provides a real-time daily index of ocean surface temperature (60 S - 60 N). For the last month it has been continuously reading higher than in any previous year and still shows no sign of settling.

0bf35fba6c97550f.jpg

https://climatereanalyzer.org/clim/sst_daily/

Edited by iococoi
  • Sad 2

look back at Salton Sea and then at a dry lake in CA. gives some indication how long this water scarcity thing has been going on in the desert SW in america. interesting video.. kinda nuts how these scenarios happened. fucking humans. 

and... 

Edited by ignatius

• 1 month later...

These Canadian wildfires must be beyond bad because the skies have been hazy and milky from the smoke on and off for over a month now. First Alberta and now Quebec and Nova Scotia. Horrible 

11 minutes ago, Upset man said:

These Canadian wildfires must be beyond bad because the skies have been hazy and milky from the smoke on and off for over a month now. First Alberta and now Quebec and Nova Scotia. Horrible 

half of idaho and all of montana have been greyed out for a while on weather maps. may have changed in recent days but looks horrible still. 

Interesting talk by Bjorn Lomborg.

Warning, he has a different approach to this issue than people around here would normally support. It's a very economical approach. So the anti-capitalists around here are going to explode.

His point about the paris agreement is about how futile it is and how misrepresented its impact is. (based on the models used by the UN itself) Check from 14 mins onward. Basically, the paris agreement is like an obese eating one salad and hoping it will be enough to have a significant (sustainable) impact on health (temperature). The impact of paris can't be measured. Even if implemented successfully. It's like a bucket of water in a raging forrest fire.

• Burger 1

On 4/25/2023 at 6:36 AM, iococoi said:

Boiling frog as we speak

OISST provides a real-time daily index of ocean surface temperature (60 S - 60 N). For the last month it has been continuously reading higher than in any previous year and still shows no sign of settling.

Expand  

there's a lot we don't understand about these systems. oceans are deep and there is like a temperature buffer in the lower levels of the ocean, for example. my point: there may be more rapid changes that occur in the future than we are accustomed to thinking about, as the global systems cross tipping points. like, those ocean temperature buffers will start slowing there mediating effect at some point, one would imagine. and of course there are the other climate feedback loops that can contribute to tipping points: ice reflection, plant fire damage, permafrost methane release, etc. crossing tipping points will result in more drastic, noticeable, and dangerous climate change.

it seems that we are seeing a telescoping of time scale, already. the last 20-25 years are measurably worse than prior decades, for many metrics. and, in the last 5 years, i think we're seeing more alarming climate changes. 

this may be that. the system may be officially going out of whack.

there's a series called "Tipping Point" on PB. .has various focuses but is mostly USA. also, there's a "both sides" thing that happens in some ways but not too bad. they talk to some farmers and city water bureau people etc. so, you get the "it's fine to have big cities in the desert" type arguments but it's interesting to see how well places like phoenix are conserving water. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, trying to be less rude said:

there's a lot we don't understand about these systems. oceans are deep and there is like a temperature buffer in the lower levels of the ocean, for example. my point: there may be more rapid changes that occur in the future than we are accustomed to thinking about, as the global systems cross tipping points. like, those ocean temperature buffers will start slowing there mediating effect at some point, one would imagine. and of course there are the other climate feedback loops that can contribute to tipping points: ice reflection, plant fire damage, permafrost methane release, etc. crossing tipping points will result in more drastic, noticeable, and dangerous climate change.

it seems that we are seeing a telescoping of time scale, already. the last 20-25 years are measurably worse than prior decades, for many metrics. and, in the last 5 years, i think we're seeing more alarming climate changes. 

this may be that. the system may be officially going out of whack.

the good thing is that we’ve seen some evidence of the systems to quickly self correct when the problems are reduced/removed…but we sure can’t expect that’s going to work in many cases…and my understanding is that scientists are careful to downplay this evidence so we the public doesn’t walk away with the wrong lessons. i think this is probably the best way to handle that.

it’s not an exponential growth rate exactly in terms of increasing climate disasters, but by and large it’s all trending upwards steeply. we sure need to be doing all possible to mitigate, but the big solutions are things no one wants to talk about and so everyone just dances around them and things keep getting worse slowly but surely. 

the planet’s ecosystems aren’t going to be able to absorb the changes without even worse effects. we’ll surely be seeing serious repercussions over the next decades in ways we can’t predict

Forgive my poor linking.  

"There's no analog to what we're seeing now," said Mike Flannigan, a professor of wildland fire at Thompson Rivers University in Kamloops, Canada. "I've been watching fires since the 1970s and it's never been like this."

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2023/06/09/will-smoke-haze-from-canada-wildfires-affect-us-air-again-yes/70302208007/

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Upset man said:

Forgive my poor linking.  

"There's no analog to what we're seeing now," said Mike Flannigan, a professor of wildland fire at Thompson Rivers University in Kamloops, Canada. "I've been watching fires since the 1970s and it's never been like this."

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2023/06/09/will-smoke-haze-from-canada-wildfires-affect-us-air-again-yes/70302208007/

i'm curious about their forest management plans etc. has canada been doing the same kind of shitty job as america for the last 50+ years or whatever? never doing prescribed burns or letting fires do the thing they're supposed to do naturally? or are they better at it than USA is and it's just that there are so many huge forests there that it's huge fires doing their thing? 36% of canada is forests... how much of that is in the east vs west? 

it's crazy though. that smoke sucks. it's a bummer to be locked inside because the air is unbreathable. maybe trump will make a statement soon about how they should rake the forest floors and stuff. good times. wtf we're in for a wild ride and young people will live through some shit. the next few decades will be full of shit like this. 

• Like 2