IGNORED

'Global Warming's Terrifying New Math'

autopilot

5 hours ago, Nebraska said:

pretty much everywhere west of the mississippi has been in a drought or extreme drought for like 5-10 years. i know it's in this thread already but ground water is gone from cali. farm lands have sunk like 30ft over x amount of years. can't recall the number. colorado river is dry at its end. it all gets used up in deserts because for some reason there's huge farms in fucking arizona. west coast needs about a dozen desalination plants and 5 or 6 modern nuclear power plants to run them around the clock. 

i think we're going to have more cloud burst type rain fall where there's like 5 inches in one storm or whatever and flash floods etc. unpredictable weather patterns... weird new normals due to jet stream shifting around etc. 

have read some blurbs here and there about cattle sell offs etc. for the last several months.  resources been taken for granted for a long time. 

meanwhile:

https://www.yahoo.com/news/republicans-weaponizing-public-office-against-143839758.html

FAC0D6E6-72EF-4490-AD68-DD05D0890A8E.jpeg

Edited by ignatius
  • Like 1
  • Sad 2

On 8/6/2022 at 7:51 PM, ignatius said:

i think we're going to have more cloud burst type rain fall where there's like 5 inches in one storm or whatever and flash floods etc. unpredictable weather patterns... weird new normals due to jet stream shifting around etc. 

Rainwater almost everywhere on Earth has unsafe levels of ‘forever chemicals’, according to new research. Per- and poly-fluoroalkyl substances (PFAS) are a large family of human-made chemicals that don’t occur in nature. They are known as ‘forever chemicals’ because they don’t break down in the environment. 

https://www.euronews.com/green/2022/08/04/rainwater-everywhere-on-earth-unsafe-to-drink-due-to-forever-chemicals-study-finds

shawshank-redemption-tim-robbins.gif

• Like 1
  • Farnsworth 1

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2022/aug/10/forests-changes-global-heating-arctic-amazon-studies

Forests from the Arctic to the Amazon are transforming at a “shocking” rate due to the climate crisis, with trees advancing into previously barren tundra in the north while dying off from escalating heat farther south, scientists have found.

Global heating, along with changes in soils, wind and available nutrients, is rapidly changing the composition of forests, making them far less resilient and prone to diseases, according to a series of studies that have analyzed the health of trees in north and South America.

Scientists estimate that even small amounts of further heating, caused by human activity, could cause up to a 50% die-off of traditional boreal forest trees in certain places, with many other trees becoming stunted in their growth.

“Boreal species do very poorly even with modest warming. They grow more slowly and have greater mortality,” said Peter Reich, a researcher at the University of Minnesota who co-authored the research. “Intuitively, I thought they would do slightly worse with 1.5C of warming, but they do much worse, which is worrisome.”

related:

https://blog.cwf-fcf.org/index.php/en/the-boreal-forest-our-secret-weapon-to-fight-climate-change/

The boreal forest has a huge impact on these numbers due to its size. It covers roughly one-tenth of the Earth’s landmass — including about three million square kilometres in Canada — making it a big carbon sponge. The impact of the forest is so significant that global levels of carbon dioxide, a major greenhouse gas, actually drop slightly in spring and summer when it is growing most. Oxygen levels rise, too. 

The boreal is also cold. Thus, when trees die, they decompose slowly, keeping carbon in their bodies relatively longer than dead trees in tropical forests, which rot swiftly and release large amounts of carbon. The cold also keeps the boreal’s permafrost frozen, trapping carbon-rich methane, another important greenhouse gas, underneath the surface of the soil. As well, much of the boreal is dotted with marshy peatland, another efficient storage facility for carbon. 

we really blew it, didn't we. apologies to future generations fighting for water and lebensraum.

as for me i utterly detest this hot ass weather already. srsly anything above ~26/27°C is already making it considerably harder for me to think and just generally be myself. if this 30+ nonsense really is the new normal i will move somewhere up north the next few years. dead fucking serious.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, iococoi said:

just yesterday read as tory about how mega floods are the next problem california will face since it's so dry everywhere. one good drenching rain storm and shit is gonna be really messy. 

20 minutes ago, trying to be less rude said:

yeah, wrong term. period?

posting from the period that utterly fucked the habitat.

still fucking it pretty hard too in a lot of places. rain forest getting ripped up so cattle can graze and be made into big macs, or palm trees can be planted so palm oil can go in everything or whatever else they're fucking doing. 

i still get all forehead slappy when i think of how for a long time we've irrigated the fucking deserts in the west to grow cotton and corn and everything else. 

• Like 1

recent study/climate modeling. 

https://www.news-leader.com/story/news/health/2022/08/17/climate-change-study-predicts-125-degree-days-missouri-heat-belt-2053/10329049002/

Released Monday, the peer-reviewed 'Extreme Heat Model' created by the First Street Foundation studies the future of climate change in the United States and "identifies the impact of increasing temperatures at a property level, and how the frequency, duration, and intensity of extremely hot days will change over the next 30 years from a changing climate."

In the study, "Extreme Danger Days" of heat are defined as when temperature exceeds 125 degrees in a given day. The model predicts only 50 counties next year will experience an Extreme Danger Day of heat. But more than 1,000 counties in the United States will experience days of over 125 degrees by 2053.

• Farnsworth 1

I wonder if society will adapt to summers of night time living to avoid subjecting everyone to that kind of daytime heat and sleep in cooling centers during the day. Who am I kidding. Society will have collapsed by then. 

the radical dems have passed the Inflation Reduction Act, which is the most substantial climate legislation of any nation ever, or something. details here https://www.democrats.senate.gov/imo/media/doc/summary_of_the_energy_security_and_climate_change_investments_in_the_inflation_reduction_act_of_2022.pdf

4 hours ago, trying to be less rude said:

the radical dems have passed the Inflation Reduction Act, which is the most substantial climate legislation of any nation ever, or something. details here https://www.democrats.senate.gov/imo/media/doc/summary_of_the_energy_security_and_climate_change_investments_in_the_inflation_reduction_act_of_2022.pdf

it's something. anyway.. it fixes some funding issues in the ACA which will help a lot of people. also allows medicare to negotiate drug prices so that's good for the olds.  the summary is good indication of what's what.  

5 hours ago, trying to be less rude said:

wake me up when they shut down the military industrial complex and take their boot off south america and africa's neck

• Facepalm 1

10 minutes ago, ilqx hermolia xpli said:

wake me up when they shut down the military industrial complex and take their boot off south america and africa's neck

that legislation will have a much snappier title. 

edit: but they're all mostly "harm reduction" things and not "we're going to do a revolution and change the system via this barely passed legislation"

Edited by ignatius