Are you on the Autism Spectrum?  

200 members have voted

1. 1. What was your score?

• 0 - 10
    • 11 - 22
    • 23 - 31
    • 32 - 50

1 minute ago, logakght said:

Thank you. It seems that in such few words you pointed flaws in my thoughts, which incites me to finally go to a psychologist and delve my depths with documented help.. I'm not crazy! I swear! I just tend to do things my own way, but that is selfish, and I had a lot of problems because of it. Recently I had a tumultuous breakup that left me questioning myself in a different way, but always to improve.

Sorry to hear about the breakup, that can be brutal and make you question a lot of things. I hope the psychologist can help you, and try to be patient if you can, these things can take time, and not all therapists are the same - I saw two, and the first did nothing as far as I can tell, but the second completely changed my life. Also medication was super helpful for me, though several years later I don't need it any more (but stopping is usually a decision you should discuss with your doctor).

• Like 1

2 hours ago, hoggy said:

I kind of agree with Zizek on this - if you look deep inside yourself, you find shit - the story we tell ourselves about ourselves can be a total lie - he cites Mein Kampf as an example. The truth of who we are is in how we interact with others. There's that Buddhist joke:

While four monks are meditating, a prayer flag begins to flap in the breeze. The youngest monk stops and says, "Flag is flapping." An older monk corrects him: "No, wind is flapping." A wiser monk proclaims, "No, mind is flapping." The eldest concludes, "No, mouths are flapping."

Maybe it's possible to reach true enlightenment, but I don't know if you'd be able to judge whether you've reached it for yourself.

Yeah.

In 10th grade history class, two of the first things they taught us was to avoid presentism, and that a paradigm cannot be fully comprehended from the inside.  There was a lot of bullshit in high school but those two ideas have steered me wrong so far (plenty of other stuff has, but not those). 

I guess a good analogy would be

You live your whole life inside one room in a large house, with no doors and one window.  You have never been outside of that room, and can only see out of the one window.  How can you describe the rest of the house (inside and out)?  Maybe you can get a general idea of the shape by seeing the shadow it casts, maybe you can tell what floor you are on, maybe you can even see the color of the trim around your window and infer the color of the rest of it.  Maybe you can get insight into the construction and size by knocking on the walls and flor.  But can you accurately describe the entire thing in detail?

Conversely, because there is no door, nobody but you can describe the inside of your room, beyon what they can see through the window.

Edited by TubularCorporation
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, TubularCorporation said:

I guess a good analogy would be

You live your whole life inside one room in a large house, with no doors and one window.  You have never been outside of that room, and can only see out of the one window.  How can you describe the rest of the house (inside and out)?  Maybe you can get a general idea of the shape by seeing the shadow it casts, maybe you can tell what floor you are on, maybe you can even see the color of the trim around your window and infer the color of the rest of it.  Maybe you can get insight into the construction and size by knocking on the walls and flor.  But can you accurately describe the entire thing in detail?

Conversely, because there is no door, nobody but you can describe the inside of your room, beyon what they can see through the window.

Isn't that basically Plato's cave?

• Farnsworth 1

1 hour ago, IDEM said:

Isn't that basically Plato's cave?

Not really. Plato's cave is talking about how we perviece the outside world, I'm making ananalogy about out inability to ever see or understand ourselves as others see and understand us. 

Plato kind of sucks IMO, but this isn't the thread for that conversation.

I used to talk to a lot of literature and philosophy professors at my last job (we just happened to be exactly the sort of place that they liked), and one of them once said that the only reason anyone who wasn't a historian would study Plato today is that it can be instructive to unpack the ways that he got so many things wrong.  Which was a great way to put it, I guess that's how you get to be an ivy league professor.

Edited by TubularCorporation

Not to trample on the interesting discourse...

I scored a 30 out of 50 on this test, but this quiz suffers from the same problem pretty much every single online questionnaire has. The black and white questions, and the even more black and white answers available for you to select. It's difficult to simply strongly agree or disagree with an incredibly open ended statement lacking any sort of context whatsoever.  What factors are at play when you have a "question" like, "I would rather study at the library than go to a party." 

Who is going to this party? Is it small or large? Are you intimately familiar with everyone in attendance, or is everyone a stranger? You're going to need to account for all the variables and exceptions to those variables in order to genuinely answer these questions. I really wish people would stop taking these stupid quizzes so seriously. A significant portion of the population self-diagnoses themselves partially because of what some checkbox website told them so they feel validated enough to purchase a sketchy online IQ Test for $25. It's actually terrifying, and more importantly, incredibly annoying.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Satans Little Helper said:

although a different kind of test, still though, great fun

On my psychology masters, there was an assignment on personality testing, according to the Big 5 - I was really skeptical at first that it was "real science", but when you look at the huge body of research on the topic, attacking it from many different angles, you realise (as they allude to in the video) that many different approaches to establish the validity and reliability of the model do show that there is at least something interesting going on there, in terms of the dimensions of how personalities tend to vary, which for some traits IIRC appears to be linked to specific brain regions (e.g. neuroticism). Interesting that there is some cultural difference in how reliable the test is, but particularly in certain factors such as agreeableness. Myers-Briggs seemed pretty crap though tbh.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 7/20/2023 at 12:45 AM, koolkeyZ865 said:

Not to trample on the interesting discourse...

I scored a 30 out of 50 on this test, but this quiz suffers from the same problem pretty much every single online questionnaire has.

This test doesn't tell you whether or not you are on the spectrum. Neither does it pretend to. It tells you that if you score above a certain value, you might want to consider seeing an expert about this. How detailed do you want those questions? This is not how these tests work. It would only get more confusing and bureaucratic! You can go into the finer details of these questions with a psychologist. Some people have very, very clear answers to questions like "I would rather study at the library than go to a party.", so these questions help in evaluating whether or not the topic at hand has anything to do with you. 

If your life is fine and you see nothing wrong with it, well, that's great. If it's not, and you can't quite put your finger on why that is, and the same problems keep repeating in your life, then a questionnaire like this can open up certain possible topics to bring up in therapy, which can lead you to a referral, which can lead you to a proper expert, which can lead you to a proper diagnosis, which, and this is the crucial part, can lead you to finding help with certain issues that require specific tools and practices to address, thereby allowing to stop whipping yourself for things that aren't your fault.

Edited by BlockUser