IGNORED

Secret Chiefs 3 - Book of Souls (Folio A, Folio B)

baph

Previously announced in 2006, and probably well worth the wait:

Secret Chiefs 3 announce the release of two full-length installments of their long awaited Book of Souls album, and two USA/Canada tours in support of them. The first [book of Souls: Folio A] comes out in late May, and the second [book of Souls: Folio B] comes out in September.

BOOK OF SOULS: FOLIO A (CD), RELEASED IN MAY

Listeners have come to expect a lot from Secret Chiefs 3, and for Book of Souls, second in the band’s mega-trilogy (first being Book of Horizons, 2004), they expect nothing less than a vertigo-inducing follow up. True to expectation, Book of Souls: Folio A is a full-length album densely-packed with musical skyscrapers. Over a decade in the making along with Folio B, Book of Souls is Secret Chiefs 3’s most elaborate work yet. Following the 7-band schemata laid out in Book of Horizons, both Folios of Book of Souls thoroughly establish the depth of SC3’s journey into otherwise lost musical possibilities. With productions based in studios in the SF Bay Area, NY, LA, Seattle, UK and France over the last 11 years, the band’s leader Trey Spruance enlisted a small army of musicians — or actually not so small, since the orchestral tasks demanded by the music seem effectively unlimited in number.

But familiar names in the SC3 canon form the backbone of the recording-band: Timb Harris, Ches Smith, Shahzad Ismaily, Anonymous 13, Danny Heifetz, William Winant, with live-band initiates Matt Lebofsky, Kenny Grohowski and Toby Driver adding extra life among the zillions of enlisted musical enablers.

On Book of Souls: Folio A, it is evident that Secret Chiefs 3 continues to operate in blissful ignorance of current musical fashions, remaining enchanted only by what can be unlocked in modern mediums by applying a specific recipe of pre-modern (often ancient) processes to them.

While it's true that the album represents the kind of titanic, almost Faustian undertaking that one would expect as being uniquely appropriate to Secret Chiefs 3, for all the pomp it’s easy to forget that everything having to do with the recording is DIY to the core. Book of Souls: Folio A is a fully organic production. Everything is honed with love in one of the last hermetically-sealed laboratories. Some may snort at the notion that there even could exist such a cauldron of limitless fascination extending so rigorously beyond the time/space boundaries of modern occidental groupthink; a place in-between, suspended, where the simplest motifs have the freedom either to radiate upward into geometric complexities that are beyond description, or to refine downward to a state of simple musical essence. But it's the usual thing at the SC3 lab.

This press-release is offered as a summons to the impartial jury of all earthly ears. All snorts and scoffs will be answered with a supra-sensory choir. Coming in May and September.

MAY RESIDENCY TOUR - more details here

Two USA/Canada tours are happening in 2013 (May and October), one in support of each Book of Souls release. The first has already been booked: Secret Chiefs 3 will play multiple-night ‘residencies’ in select USA/Canada cities in May, in support of “Book of Souls: Folio A”. These residiencies will involve multiple sets per night. The music of SC3 “Heptad” bands FORMS, Ishraqiyun, UR, as well as other Secret Chiefs 3 material will be performed, including works arranged for John Zorn’s Masada. Check listings soon to see which configurations SC3 will be in on which night.

Seattle, WA
Tue May 7, 2013 @ The Sunset - tickets
Wed May 8, 2013 @ The Crocodile - tickets

San Francisco, CA
Fri May 10, 2013 @ Cafe Du Nord - tickets
Sat May 11, 2013 @ Cafe Du Nord - tickets

Los Angeles, CA
Sun May 12, 2013 @ Bootleg Bar - tickets
Tue May 14, 2013 @ Bootleg Bar - tickets

New York, NY
Fri May 17, 2013 @ Mercury Lounge - tickets

Brooklyn, NY
Sat May 18, 2013 @ Union Pool
Sun May 19, 2013 @ Union Pool

Chicago, IL
Tue May 21, 2013 @ Schubas Tavern - tickets
Wed May 22, 2013 @ Beat Kitchen - tickets

Toronto, ON
Fri May 24, 2013 @ The Drake - tickets
Sat May 25, 2013 @ The Drake - tickets

For a band that has been busy playing over 300 shows in over 30 countries in the last few years, one could imagine how well-seasoned a unit it might've become. And yes, the lineup has stabilized over the last few tours into the following elite team, who can handle everything and then some for both tours in 2013:

Trey Spruance, Timb Harris, Matt Lebofsky, Toby Driver, Kenny Grohowski

OCTOBER NATIONAL TOUR, SUPPORTING “BOOK OF SOULS: FOLIO B” (CD) RELEASED IN SEPTEMBER

After a brief pause to digest Folio A, listeners will hear the second installment, Book of Souls: Folio B in September. Intimately thematically-intertwined with the previously-released Folio, Book of Souls: Folio B has more Autumnal sheen. Darker, in some ways more ballistic, but also intoxicated with Beauty and high on diabolical humours, Book of Souls: Folio B remains unquestionably secure at SC3’s well-established fulcrum between rationalistic chaos and anarchistic elegance.

* NOTE A deluxe vinyl edition of the complete Book of Souls corpus, with expanded artwork and comprehensive conceptual material will be released in October.

My favorite band(bands) by a mile, please listen to 2004's Book of Horizons if you like good music.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd love to see them playing live. I've been quite a fan of this band when I discovered them. Now a couple of years passed and I'm not listening to their stuff that much, but it's undeniable they have some killer tracks (Renunciation being at the top of my mind). I think the work of them that last the best for me is the album with John Zorn. That's how Secret Chiefs 3 actually introduced me to this composer, for the better good. I'm still beginning with his discography and I'm not sure it's actually possible to do something else than "still beginning" with it. The thing is immense.

still, this new is exciting. What did you guys thought about the last album ? I think I listened to it two or three times. I found it good but it didn't call me back. I should give another try.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Apparently the tour shows are going to be extended sets featuring certain sub-bands? Sounds great. I'll be at the LA show!

Not going to hold my breath that Folio A will be on sale at the merch counter, but that would be wonderful.

still, this new is exciting. What did you guys thought about the last album ? I think I listened to it two or three times. I found it good but it didn't call me back. I should give another try.

Which album? Book M or Le Mani? Or Satellite Supersonic Vol 1?

Book M is my favorite album of all time. Le Mani is great but I can only listen to it when the mood strikes. Le Mani also has this period-correct hard panning in it which actually makes it really unpleasant on headphones.

Which album? Book M or Le Mani? Or Satellite Supersonic Vol 1?

Book M is my favorite album of all time. Le Mani is great but I can only listen to it when the mood strikes. Le Mani also has this period-correct hard panning in it which actually makes it really unpleasant on headphones.

I was thinking about Satellite Supersonic Vol 1. There are some pearls on Le Mani but I've to admit I listened to it from the beginning to the end only once or twice. Book M is excellent indeed, the first album by them I discovered. And I found that the album composed by John Zorn is the most "balanced", probably my favorite one.

• 1 month later...

uhmmm....at least you have some live shows.

tangible album...not so much.

SC3 likes to take the piss with yall every few years about this "book of souls" thang. If that is it's real name...This album is going the way not unlike Chinese Democracy.

back to paint drying.

SC3 likes to take the piss with yall every few years about this "book of souls" thang. If that is it's real name...This album is going the way not unlike Chinese Democracy.

back to paint drying.

I caught the two LA live shows, and they were the best I've ever seen SC3, which makes them basically the best shows I've ever seen. Justification enough for that press release, lol.

Supposedly they're touring with Goblin in October. According to the interview I got that from, Trey couldn't get the post-production wrapped up on Book of Souls before leaving for the May tour, and that it's essentially finished but he would rather release in late August or September than the middle of summer. We'll see. I'm not holding my breath.

back to paint drying.

I caught the two LA live shows, and they were the best I've ever seen SC3, which makes them basically the best shows I've ever seen. Justification enough for that press release, lol.

Supposedly they're touring with Goblin in October. According to the interview I got that from, Trey couldn't get the post-production wrapped up on Book of Souls before leaving for the May tour, and that it's essentially finished but he would rather release in late August or September than the middle of summer. We'll see. I'm not holding my breath.

Well, i would say you probably got to hear some of BOS at least. BOS is not unlike the mythical giant squid, rumored through the ages to exist, met with dispute & guffaw by the general masses, until finally revealed to inhabitat this earthly plane.

They toured with estradasphere ages ago. Was a great SC3 lineup & a helluva show.

Got the bootleg tape somewheres in addition to a Bungle Halloween set which is probably in my top 5 shows eva.

• 2 months later...

Well, ok, that original target date slipped by a mile, but Book of Souls Folio A is officially up for pre-order for release by October 8! Which is in line with Trey's statements about waiting out summer before offering it for sale after finalizing in May/June.

http://www.webofmimicry.com/store/product_info.php?cPath=24&products_id=104

They're actually taking money now, and Trey might be terrible with release dates and too much of a perfectionist to let art suffer for the sake of sensible business practices, but I think it's safe to say he isn't trying to scam anyone. Folio B might never come, but Folio A should be a sure thing for October.

Don't send any money guys.

They preface the date by being on or about Oct. 8, 2013. About being the key word. If we are familiar with Trey's shenanigans, about could mean an indefinite amount of time into the future. But, there is an album cover...that's a great tease that would buy SC3 a few more years to an actual release... :whistling:

I see a new BOC album before Book of Souls actually...

They preface the date by being on or about Oct. 8, 2013. About being the key word. If we are familiar with Trey's shenanigans, about could mean an indefinite amount of time into the future. But, there is an album cover...that's a great tease that would buy SC3 a few more years to an actual release... :whistling:

Boards of Canada released Tomorrow's Harvest on 10 June, 2013 :emotawesomepm9:

Boards of Canada released Tomorrow's Harvest on 10 June, 2013 :emotawesomepm9:

Yea...that was kinda what I meant. i.e., The next BOC album will drop in another 5 years,whilst SC3 will have yet to release BOS in that time.

• 3 weeks later...

i was really hoping for a vinyl release, especially since they just reissued the other lps. oh well, it's actually coming out! and that's great by any measure.

i saw them in sf on the tour and picked up the book m reissue and i've been playing it all the time since. it's my favorite by them i think, just barely beating book of horizons.

i was really hoping for a vinyl release, especially since they just reissued the other lps. oh well, it's actually coming out! and that's great by any measure.

i saw them in sf on the tour and picked up the book m reissue and i've been playing it all the time since. it's my favorite by them i think, just barely beating book of horizons.

Me too. Been listening to Book M on vinyl a ton since I got it. That album to me just seems like the perfect mesh of all the elements of SC3 (Minus maybe the death metal of Holy Vehm, still crossing my fingers they release a solo album).

Anyone heard the (semi)new Ishraqiyun/FORMS 7"? Saptarshi has to been of the best tracks Spruance has ever written, in my opinion. Blows my mind everytime.

Anyone heard the (semi)new Ishraqiyun/FORMS 7"? Saptarshi has to been of the best tracks Spruance has ever written, in my opinion. Blows my mind everytime.

not sure about best, but enjoy this

[youtubehd]QdQi084kfbw[/youtubehd]

wonderful this:

[youtubehd]ZzrlERoYFZY[/youtubehd]

The live version of Saptarshi from the recent LA show (and I assume others) was nearly Holy Vehm'd with aggression. Incredibly good.

Edit: haven't watched the Stone version yet

• 4 weeks later...

Right on my birthday. Will make a great present to myself!

lol happy birthday

At least Trey is still slightly more reliable than that hipsterfacist from Nachtmystium.

I preordered because I know I'll get it eventually and it's no problemo cancelling if it's not coming, and because I never paid for First Grand Constitution and Bylaws, lol.

Running your own label seems like a pain in the ass. Sounds like this tour and coordinating with Goblin and shit is making old man spruance a little frantic. Homie probably needs to stop being in charge of everything an' shit. Going door to door and hand delivering dat shit like some santa ass motherfucker. Shit.

1zp4nc2.jpg

Archived