IGNORED

Gold Panda - Half Of Where You Live

Redruth

XEwAXWO.jpg

"The whole album, in fact, is described as a “city album” by its maker, and it’s easy to see why — each track possesses a different aesthetic and reflects a different environment. Gold Panda describes it as “a jump from location to location… I felt like I was stealing a piece of each place I went to.” ‘Community’ is a house-tinged reflection on cultural divides in London, while "Brazil" catalogs Gold Panda's arrival in Sao Paolo: “I wanted to make a track that soundtracked my ride from the airport to downtown” he explains. “The [vocal] sample is kind of like an excited chant, bigging up the place, then it all gets confusing to replicate the traffic and buildings."

ghostly international http://ghostly.com/releases/half-of-where-you-live

Very excited for this, Gold Panda has easily been one of my favorite producers to emerge in the last few years.

Also, almost 3 years since Lucky Shiner!? (feels old)

Lucky Shiner was great! The Companion album he put out afterward wasn't so amazing, but I think that was just a compilation of leftover tracks. Looking forward to his next proper album... and awesome cover!

• 1 month later...

So this is good then? May have to pick it up soon.

I really liked the first one and still come back to it every now and then.

Gave it a full proper listen today in the car... good stuff. Not sure if it's at a Lucky Shiner level, but I enjoyed it and will continue to!

Amazing listen... after his banging debut his new EPs and stuff felt quite uninspired to me, but this LP is fresh as his debut back in the days. Perfect for summer!

It's really a fantastic album. Not one moment out of place, honestly. A very hypnotic and energizing listen. More exploratory than Lucky Shiner. Having more open structures is always something I welcome, and this album is very open, very abstract. lovely.

Guest XAbachay

Well it's not as cool as Lucky Shiner (more immediate enjoyability on that one) but it's extremely consistent and overall creates a great atmosphere. Def worth a listen.

Archived