IGNORED

Superman / Batman - the movie (2015)

Rubin Farr

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i wonder if they credit the writers of whatever story they rip from the DC back catalogue, this time around. Apparently the dude that inspired the last superman film didn't even get an invite to the premiere, let alone a cheque.

Guest zaphod

i never liked the cross over stories with superman and batman. they don't seem to exist in the same universe for me, and how will this work? they're almost always using superman as a foil. in dkr he's a stooge for the government. tonally this makes no sense to me, and then jla would be logistically impossible to pull off. for comic fans a half decent jla movie would be miraculous. and what universe does man of steel take place in? is it earth 31?

I think a new dynamic between Supes and Bats is needed. Having JGL being mentored by Kal-el would be a cool way to bring those two movie universes together. Whatever happens, it's basically a setup for JLA.

i've been thinking for years that a supes + bats movie could be amazing if it was done right, which to me means there is little hope. i think it would almost have to feature the whole thing of batman having the kryptonite ring as given to him by superman, that was something theyd mention in the comics occasionally but didn't seem to overuse having batman actually needing it. but whats cool about that aspect is that it's something that people who never read the comics don't know about, and i always thought it was one of the more clever ideas the writers ever came up with. that superman respected and trusted batman above all others, to the point of giving him a method of killing him in case he went out of control. its frickin poetic, and could make for some awesome drama on a big screen.

to me for yrs that was the main thing i wanted to see in a bat+sup movie, and if its based on dkr maybe i'll get my wish. kinda sweet. except that i think the entire rest of that book was trash.

I don't like superman because he's basically western Goku and basically dragon ballz was 'pathetic attempt to beat bad guy buying time until Goku appears/is revived or something, for 78 episodes'

I just saw the DC animated movie Justice League Flashpoint paradox and it was fucking excellent, far better than any live action super hero movie of recent memory. I think if they do some kind of crossover or justice league movie they might as well use some sort of time travel or alternate universe 'reset' type of storyline to give them freedom to just do whatever the fuck they want. If they take any cues from Man of Steel or Nolan's batman the franchise is sabotaged out of the gates.

but seriously go watch Justice League Flashpoint Paradox, it's pretty brilliant I think.

If they do Justice League live action they can't occupy any time doing a origin stories. I think the only way it could actually work is if the main character is Martian Manhunter coming to earth for the first time and via his telepathic powers finding all the 'super beings' in the universe and bringing them together for a higher calling. All the other characters like the Flash or even Cyborg don't need origin stories, they could already exist in the universe. The characters harder to pull off would be Aquaman and wonder woman, who both are much more golden age style comic book characters with strong ties to fantasy. Green Lantern doesn't even need to be in it, imo.

a justice league movie with these characters:
-martian manhunter

-batman

-superman

-the flash
- zantanna
-cyborg

these characters could be a similar cherry picking to the way the Avengers was done, they didn't include the wasp or ant-man in it and added black widow and a modernized militarized hawkeye.

would be good enough and can be pulled off in the rights hands. They've already introduced the concept of an alien with Superman, so martian manhunter wouldn't be that big of a stretch. Flash could be a guy who somehow reverse engineered part of superman's powers but only achieved super-speed. Cyborg could be a military experiment designed to fight or be prepared to fight a new threat of alien invaders or super beings. Zantanna could be the way to introduce magic into a film DC universe, which could pave the way for Wonder Woman or Constantine or Aquaman. I feel like the Ryan Reynolds green lantern film fucked it up way too much though, i don't know how they could have him on the team and it not feel really weird.

Guest zaphod

i don't know about this. reading lines from dark knight returns is probably a bad sign. is this going to be a battle movie? i'm not sure what they're going for here, but i'm sick of nolan's influence on these films.

[youtubehd]ZAPig662cac[/youtubehd]

I think they said it pretty well at red letter media in their review of man of steel: superman isn't really suited for a "realistic" approach like batman is. There's simply way too much symbolism attached to superman to fit in a realistic universe. He sort of represents the superior human being when he's flying in his blue suit. Physically AND morally. So whatever he does or decides it should fit this template of superhuman perfection which, imo, doesn't match very well with any other comic universe ( or specifically, the Darkside universe).

Whilst the JGL Batman/Superman thing is a nice idea, I fear there's no way that it could be executed in a fashion that brings Nolan's version of Gotham in line with Snyder's Superman. I know that they tried to go for that 'realism' in the Supes movie that Nolan went for, but Snyder's effort doesn't have the same feel of Nolan's films (or level of quality), and I know I would find any attempt at a crossover between those particular versions fairly jarring.

Guest Gary C

Feeling so meh.

By the way, you can watch DCs animated Dark Knight Returns... and it's really, honestly good. So why bother with a jarring live-action combo like this?

Man of Steel is a decent action-movie. It's a bit boring and tries too hard to be epic, but the action is visually exciting.

But, unfortunately, the sheer intensity of the action can never work with how Batman has been established in the last decade. In the latest film, Batman is old and fucked already. How's he supposed to cope with a Superman who spends 20 mins punching a giant robot into India?

It's not going to work. It might be a fine film visually, but it's not going to fit with either the Man of Steel world or the Dark Knight stuff.

I, too, blame Nolan. And maybe Heath Ledger, his death has been the catalyst for this cluster-fuck.

i find the animation in those DC animated films jarring. Truly it is an horrible art style and draws nothing from the rich bedrock of talent that illustrate the comics. So no matter who recommends those films, my eyes refuse.

Hay guys. It's probably gonna suck.

I have zero faith left that Hollywood can deliver audiences a quality product when it is part of a franchise.

On a sort of tangent, there was an interesting piece in the Guardian about Spielberg's and Lucas' predictions about where the industry is going:

Steven Spielberg and George Lucas predict film industry 'implosion'

http://www.guardian.co.uk/film/2013/jun/13/steven-spielberg-george-lucas-film-industry

Although the most interesting quote in that article came from Soderbergh:

"The worst development in film-making – particularly in the last five years – is how badly directors are treated," Soderbergh told New York magazine in January. "It's become absolutely horrible the way the people with the money decide they can fart in the kitchen, to put it bluntly. It's not just studios – it's who is financing a film. I guess I don't understand the assumption that the director is presumptively wrong about what the audience wants or needs when they are the first audience, in a way. And probably got into making movies because of being in that audience."

I didn't see anything about Nolan producing this, so it looks like Snyder, along with Del Toro have been given the keys to the DC universe? I hope the BM/SM movie gels with the DC Dark Universe movie. I mean DC recently merged its main publishing universe with Vertigo, so anything character wise is possible these days.

meh

they should do Jurassic Park vs. Schindler's List instead

vs. Star Wars as well!

In order to save the dinosaurs you'll need at least a couple of giant space ships to get them off the planet.

Archived