IGNORED

Superman / Batman - the movie (2015)

Rubin Farr

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

but the important question is, will they accidentally swap their tights in the heat of the battle?

this film would be an awesome supporter of gay rights,

The will day come when people get sick of superheroes movies and the next big superhero blockbuster will bomb and bankrupt Hollywood (it will probably be this superman/batman movie)

mark my words, this movie will bankrupt hollywood.

i find the animation in those DC animated films jarring. Truly it is an horrible art style and draws nothing from the rich bedrock of talent that illustrate the comics. So no matter who recommends those films, my eyes refuse.

your loss then, if you appreciate the DC universe they are the only adaptations truly worth a damn besides Batman the animated series.

Guest zaphod

total agreement there. definitive batman is animated, as is superman (all star). i'm really liking the brave and bold lately, would love to see a batman film go in that direction.

ive actually never read any of the comics these DC movies are based off of, I've seen the brave and the bold movie but not read the comic.

For me the ones that really stand out are the Legion of Doom JL movie and the newest one Flashpoint paradox. Extremely creative storylines, emotionally satisfying payoffs, paying perfect tribute to each character shown etc. I'm actually shocked that the DC animated movies aren't held in higher regard or more hyped up. For me they are far more enjoyable than any of the live action super hero movies of recent memory (and especially compared to the overly praised Marvel movie universe)

Allstar superman and Under the Red Hood were pretty good too, a little smaller in scale which is probably why i like the JL films better

Guest zaphod

well i highly recommend reading all star superman. it's definitive. probably the best superhero comic i've read. frank quitely's art works extremely well with grant morrison's writing,

brave and the bold is an animated tv show, not sure if it's based on any one comic. i actually prefer it to the animated series in a lot of ways. the series finale, "mitefall", cold opens with batman teaming up with abraham lincoln to defeat a steam powered john wilkes booth,

Guest zaphod

the comic is better, but it's a decent adaptation. someone needs to do a final crisis series of movies. i'll have to watch flashpoint, i didn't care for the comics at all.

is anyone reading the new wonder woman? how could that possibly work in a jla movie? will it just be like thor? i just don't see how all of these universes can combine under the nolan/snyder braintrust.

the comic is better, but it's a decent adaptation. someone needs to do a final crisis series of movies. i'll have to watch flashpoint, i didn't care for the comics at all.

is anyone reading the new wonder woman? how could that possibly work in a jla movie? will it just be like thor? i just don't see how all of these universes can combine under the nolan/snyder braintrust.

I like the new Wonder Woman, but there will probably be a new new one by the time the movie rolls around. I don't if there is a version of the character that would work in the Nolan/Snyder universe, but this isn't it.

The will day come when people get sick of superheroes movies and the next big superhero blockbuster will bomb and bankrupt Hollywood (it will probably be this superman/batman movie)

It will be interesting to see if your prediction comes true, as it's being echoed by quite a few atm.

There was a piece about this on page 3 of the The Times yesterday, and one of the stories running next to it was over the concern many have in tinseltown that the current big movie model of summertime is leading to the implosion of the industry. It's the obsession with sequels and big effects movies that have huge budgets that are threatening to bring big movie making to its knees. R.I.P.D, which just opened in the US but isn't here in the UK yet, has tanked - it took $9 million in its opening weekend but it cost $130 million to make.

I'm a huge movie fan and going to the cinema is one of the favourite things to do. I love big screen spectacle as much as more character driven smaller movies, but something does need to change with the current model.

Guest Shit Attack

1.50 onwards there is one of the most terrifying things ive ever seen wat the fuck is the matter with those people

as for the movie i have only 1 request please include a scene where kevin costner tries to rescue a dog from a car before being brutally killed by a tornado

thanks

1.50 onwards there is one of the most terrifying things ive ever seen wat the fuck is the matter with those people

as for the movie i have only 1 request please include a scene where kevin costner tries to rescue a dog from a car before being brutally killed by a tornado

thanks

Please buy our shitty stuff dorks. Comic-con in the 20teens, where nerd culture lost it's self respect.

It will be interesting to see if your prediction comes true, as it's being echoed by quite a few atm.

There was a piece about this on page 3 of the The Times yesterday, and one of the stories running next to it was over the concern many have in tinseltown that the current big movie model of summertime is leading to the implosion of the industry. It's the obsession with sequels and big effects movies that have huge budgets that are threatening to bring big movie making to its knees. R.I.P.D, which just opened in the US but isn't here in the UK yet, has tanked - it took $9 million in its opening weekend but it cost $130 million to make.

How could it cost have $130 million, it looks so shit. It couldn't have cost more the 35-40, the rest was probably marketing (of which i haven't seen that much of) and dodgy accounting.

Also, as to the prediction. If the cleaner at work is any indication (he is pretty much mr. average movie goer) he told me that he found the superman plot to be too formulaic (paraphrasing him (mr average remember)) and he's getting sick of how samey movies have become. Lots of blogs are speculating on this as well, bleeding cool was saying that Disney should rethink it's star wars film every year strategy, lest it kill the ticket sales as time passes.

nwae, be nice when a kickstarter with a crew of 20 people can pump out using CG stuff that betters what hollywood can do, and sends it directly to our living rooms. Hollywood would die after that anyway.

I think a big problem is too many people are looking "critically" at these superhero movies - they're designed to entertain, not be the next great literary work - so what if they're formulaic - as long as there is variety (more superheroes, not just sequel after sequel), the general audience will enjoy and support them. The fanboys might rage at the dumbing down of their favourite characters, but for the majority of the audience, it will be just fine.

That being said, I think more thought needs to go into the approval process - I mean, honestly - who green lighted R.I.P.D? It's fucking Men In Black with ghosts, and MIB 3 isn't that far past that people don't forget what a mistake making a third movie was. Lone Ranger is another example - not a bad movie, but no relevance/connection to audiences these days.

Hopefully the new Star Wars movies will give the superhero genre a break, because we've still got a deluge of them coming in the next few years with no end in sight.

I don't think the guy i used as an example of the everyman cinema goer is looking at films critically, joy. He's a touchstone for a broader trend, and one that observers of this market are taking seriously.

Sure the run might keep going and going, we'll see. If that is all people are offered. But will every multi-hundred million production stand-up, in a market place where only these kinds of efforts are being greenlit, in a marketplace where the stakes are so high, that nothing creative will be risked, which of course is the greatest risk of all.

Archived