IGNORED

Superman / Batman - the movie (2015)

Rubin Farr

I don't think the guy i used as an example of the everyman cinema goer is looking at films critically, joy. He's a touchstone for a broader trend, and one that observers of this market are taking seriously.

Sure the run might keep going and going, we'll see. If that is all people are offered. But will every multi-hundred million production stand-up, in a market place where only these kinds of efforts are being greenlit, in a marketplace where the stakes are so high, that nothing creative will be risked, which of course is the greatest risk of all.

You're probably right - coupled with ever-increasing ticket prices, Lucas' and Spielbergs' predictions could come true. 3D cinema didn't help things either.

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can't believe they gave this to Snyder again. :facepalm:

me either, i mean i understand box office earnings and stuff but from what I've heard Man of Steel under-performed and the studio internally was very worried about it before launch. Seems self evident from the odd mixture in tonef from the first trailers to the last minute CGI spectacular style previews we saw. Plus the movie got a 50% on rottentomatoes, i can't remember the last time a big budget movie like this was reviewed so poorly that immediately got picked up for a sequel. Not since maybe the Hobbit or Phantom Menace, but each of those already have sequels planned.

they just need to reboot batman in the planned justice league film. another snyder directedsuperman movie is going to further derail for the potential of a halfway decent justice league movie.

What's odd to me is that even though 300 and Watchmen are far from great films, very flawed movies in their own right, they still seem far more solid and visionary than Man of Steel. The visual aesthetics and fx in Man of steel were so mis matched and over the top that i almost missed snyder's visual aesthetics from 300 and Watchmen. Even Sucker Punch seemed to have more visual and set design creativity than Man of Steel.

Guest zaphod

man of steel was weird. i enjoyed the scale of destruction in it but it was befitting a hulk movie, not superman. i also did like the opening with russel crowe riding around on dinosaurs. that was played so serious it became very campy and i enjoyed that. it's strange, i miss snyder's style on this. every shot was handheld, nolanized. say what you will, snyder at least had an aesthetic. not anymore though.

during some of the fight scenes as well it almost seemed like Snyder would have been rather making a Flash movie than a Superman one or something more like a Japanese-anime take on Superman. The fighting style was flash style hyperspeed the whole time, it didn't really fit for me. Plus with so much cgi there wasn't a single shot that looked as interesting as say any of the fight scenes in Spiderman 2. I still think that movie takes the prize for the best choreographed cgi fight scenes, if only for the fight they have on the side of the building. People complain about cgi doubles, but id rather have well done creatively choreographed cgi doubles than a good looking actor against a greenscreen blowing up hundreds of buildings with terribly fake looking particle effects. People who said the action in Man of Steel was top notch must have seen a different movie than I did. Just because it has non stop chaotic action doesn't make it top notch, it made it like a Transformers movie. sensory overload just for the sake of it with barely any artistic merit.

during some of the fight scenes as well it almost seemed like Snyder would have been rather making a Flash movie than a Superman one or something more like a Japanese-anime take on Superman. The fighting style was flash style hyperspeed the whole time, it didn't really fit for me. Plus with so much cgi there wasn't a single shot that looked as interesting as say any of the fight scenes in Spiderman 2. I still think that movie takes the prize for the best choreographed cgi fight scenes, if only for the fight they have on the side of the building. People complain about cgi doubles, but id rather have well done creatively choreographed cgi doubles than a good looking actor against a greenscreen blowing up hundreds of buildings with terribly fake looking particle effects. People who said the action in Man of Steel was top notch must have seen a different movie than I did. Just because it has non stop chaotic action doesn't make it top notch, it made it like a Transformers movie. sensory overload just for the sake of it with barely any artistic merit.

That was one of the things that bothered me as well with MoS - and you nailed it with the Transformers comparison - just blurs of moving CGI garbage and little to really focus on.

I did like the guy who played Zod though - thought he was the best thing about the movie.

At least Transformers 3 was easy going midless kids entertainment where Man of Steel was a bad mixture of the wrong elements that got frustrating kinda like like watching a B movies with a massive budget. Pacific Rim had some bad acting from meh actors but Man of Steel had good actors acting quite badly which is a fault of the director and that's before we get into the anti cinematic shaky cam and Golden Labrador doing the editing with a pair of garden shears.

Guest bitroast

I did like the guy who played Zod though - thought he was the best thing about the movie.

I actually thought the whole casting was pretty good to be honest.

It was the rest of the film that was pretty horrible..

*spoilers*

I actually laughed at the tornado scene. It made Twister look like a believable movie.

There were a lot of things that really bugged me about the film, but I also disliked how it went from slow build up to him becoming 'super man', to all of a sudden him turning himself in and standing around doing nothing or running off the tackle an energy beam in scenes that weren't even the main focus. There were no moments of him actually being an inspiring awesome hero..

Mean while, just about every one cast member got a chance at being the hero (inc. Lawrence Fishburne who tried to shovel some girl one actually knew or cared about out of rubble.. ), or Louis lane, or was running around shooting aliens because .. Zod? asked for her to be on his ship, no real explainable reason?..

Having said that, yes I did quite like the casting.

I actually thought the whole casting was pretty good to be honest.

It was the rest of the film that was pretty horrible..

*spoilers*

I actually laughed at the tornado scene. It made Twister look like a believable movie.

There were a lot of things that really bugged me about the film, but I also disliked how it went from slow build up to him becoming 'super man', to all of a sudden him turning himself in and standing around doing nothing or running off the tackle an energy beam in scenes that weren't even the main focus. There were no moments of him actually being an inspiring awesome hero..

Mean while, just about every one cast member got a chance at being the hero (inc. Lawrence Fishburne who tried to shovel some girl one actually knew or cared about out of rubble.. ), or Louis lane, or was running around shooting aliens because .. Zod? asked for her to be on his ship, no real explainable reason?..

Having said that, yes I did quite like the casting.

I thought Michael Shannon looked the part but sounded like Dustin Hoffman in Midnight Cowboy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fFyHTU8tg_0

Guest zaphod

please stop making excuses for pacific rim. it was a pile of shit with some cool action sequences in it, and even those were difficult to gauge because they were set at night, mostly in the rain or under water. why are we allowed to like that film but not transformers or man of steel? they're all garbage.

please stop making excuses for pacific rim. it was a pile of shit with some cool action sequences in it, and even those were difficult to gauge because they were set at night, mostly in the rain or under water. why are we allowed to like that film but not transformers or man of steel? they're all garbage.

MoS was shit with shit action sequences

Guest Shit Attack

I think a big problem is too many people are looking "critically" at these superhero movies - they're designed to entertain, not be the next great literary work - so what if they're formulaic - as long as there is variety (more superheroes, not just sequel after sequel), the general audience will enjoy and support them. The fanboys might rage at the dumbing down of their favourite characters, but for the majority of the audience, it will be just fine.

Hopefully the new Star Wars movies will give the superhero genre a break, because we've still got a deluge of them coming in the next few years with no end in sight.

thing is tho i dont think some of these films are really intended to entertain they seem pretty cynically put together and then filled with references to stuff that the fanboy guys will get off on "ooh its page 39269 panel 76 of superman vs batman's epic battle in outer space no 46" or watever. just like that video of the totally insincere guy reading some shit out from the superman or batman book and them all going nuts up there . then they just add in enough explosions + stuff not to offend the average joes . those star trek + superman movies from a while ago was full of shit like that from what i could tell "OMG he yelled khan!" "OMG they have a lex luther building in the background " etc etc . its not really entertainment in the sense that like speilberg or somebody was entertaining , even tho those films were commercial there was something genuine about them, they werent just cynical money making/ merchandising schemes . a lof of these modern blockbustery type flicks (not all of em but quite a few ) seem to just be manipulative shit designed to appeal to the sort of people wholl buy action figures , dollies and whatever other stuff they can sell of the back of the movie which probably is where the real money is nowadays.

• 4 weeks later...

pretty much yeah.

edit: It's not THAT terrible either. The directors cut is almost watchable.

Hmmmm....

Whilst Affleck has undoubtedly starred in some turds, he has really turned his career around. He's a brilliant director, and he's been good in front of the camera as well in most of his output as an actor since Hollywoodland.

I think he's learned a lot since he came near to complete career collapse, so I don't think he'll be in any hurry to fuck this up.

Archived