IGNORED

90s Drum and Bass

six

So drum and bass was never one of my favorite genres growing up. I kind of just missed the classic era and ended up getting into IDM, house, and the big electronic acts of the late 90s instead. My first experience with drum and bass ended up being stuff like Squarepusher, Aphex, and Plug, so I'm all set on anything by the featured artists here.

What I'm looking for is the absolute classics from the mid to late 90s and stuff that has been influenced by it since. I've been listening to a lot of drum and bass influenced music lately from footwork like Machinedrum and Om Unit to some of the more purist stuff like Dbridge, InstraMental, Breakage, and Fracture.

I guess I'm looking for WATMM's favorite old and new stuff in the Metalheadz style. I know Photek and Goldie of course but am fairly naive outside of that old stuff. The ambient drum and bass with some nice melodies to counter the beats is my favorite stuff, but I like some of the really dark tracks too. Any recommendations welcome, thanks!

maybe roni size or ltj bukem

[youtubehd]cwI0gbGEyuI[/youtubehd]

cant find the track. but you get the idea

[youtubehd]SHQgn16uyOg[/youtubehd]

Yeah, sorry for another thread. I did a search for Metalheadz and nothing recent came up, only to notice a bunch of jungle threads shortly after posting. My bad. :cerious:

That's a lovely track, MadameChaos. Have yet to listen to the rest posted in this thread.

I am particularly fond of this remix by Photek, especially when the synth comes in during the break.. just heavenly

If you haven't already, check out metalheadz Platinum Breakz comps One and Two. 2 (circa 97) is my fave by a decent margin, essential if you're looking for something a bit darker and with more bite.

Also, A Guy Called Gerald's Black Secret Technology album is a stone cold classic.

Kruder & Dorfmeister also released a sweet mix album earlier in their career (96) very much on the looking good / "intelligent" dnb tip.

Thanks for all the other recs in this thread guyze. I love discovering hidden gems from this era.

My old friends would be able to tell you a lot about this, alas I don't see them much, if at all nowadays. Which isn't much help is it? Lol

Oh well.

Today I listened to the Photek BBC Essential mix which is worth your time, you can find it online. Truth be told 90's Drum and Bass never did much for me, I mostly found it plodding, boring and repetative. Hence I always gravitate towards Braindance instead.

Sounds like Source Direct is what you want, T-Power - The Self Evident Truth Of An Intuitive Mind is also great, Omni Trio if you really like mid 90's feel good vibes.

My absolute faves:

[youtubehd]Obv477QfDI0[/youtubehd]

[youtubehd]SHg2du9015g[/youtubehd]

Circles is my favorite track of ever, it's just perfect. Captures that feel good mid 90's vibe like nothing else.

Sounds like Source Direct is what you want, T-Power - The Self Evident Truth Of An Intuitive Mind is also great, Omni Trio if you really like mid 90's feel good vibes.

My absolute faves:

[youtubehd]Obv477QfDI0[/youtubehd]

[youtubehd]SHg2du9015g[/youtubehd]

Circles is my favorite track of ever, it's just perfect. Captures that feel good mid 90's vibe like nothing else.

word up. Totally forgot about Adam F.

Archived