IGNORED

Applying for Canadian Citizenship

Audioblysk

I have started the process of getting Canadian citizenship. I am trying for dual citizenship with the USA and Canada, but us yanks make that really hard. Has anyone here gone through any immigration/citizenship process, Canada would be the most helpful, but I'd like to know more about how this all works for other countries too.

Or... anyone Canadian/Not American have a sister to pawn off to a nice American-Irish lad? I'd make a decent husband :emotawesomepm9:

Not sure if it's worth anything but I have dual citizenship (U.S., Ireland). IIRC while both allow it, neither country technically recognizes "dual citizenship" - for virtually all intents & purposes Ireland doesn't care that I'm also an American citizen and vice versa. The only thing that matters/mattered is my claim/right to citizenship: U.S. by birth, Ireland by descent through my grandparents. By chance were any of your grandparents born in Ireland?

Not sure if it's worth anything but I have dual citizenship (U.S., Ireland). IIRC while both allow it, neither country technically recognizes "dual citizenship" - for virtually all intents & purposes Ireland doesn't care that I'm also an American citizen and vice versa. The only thing that matters/mattered is my claim/right to citizenship: U.S. by birth, Ireland by descent through my grandparents. By chance were any of your grandparents born in Ireland?

yes, both of the ones on my dad's side.

yes, both of the ones on my dad's side.

Provided you're able to get your hands on one or the other's birth record and are able to document your relationship through your dad (and have the fortitude to wade through all the associated paperwork and bureaucratic bullshit), then you can become an Irish citizen.

It's definitely worth getting regardless, though shit ain't so hot in Ireland right now, the economy & jobs prospects there are as bad if not worse than in the States.

There is no need for somebody living in the US or in a developed country to immigrate to Canada except if his job is needed here. "Because it seems a nice place" or "it would be cool to have dual citizenship" isn't a valid reason. People immigrate to Canada because they lived in hellish conditions, or their life depended on it. That's why the doors are opened more easily to second or third-world countries.

It's not like Canada is the awesomest place on earth, heck some of us are actually hoping to get out of Canada some day :)

There is no need for somebody living in the US or in a developed country to immigrate to Canada except if his job is needed here. "Because it seems a nice place" or "it would be cool to have dual citizenship" isn't a valid reason. People immigrate to Canada because they lived in hellish conditions, or their life depended on it. That's why the doors are opened more easily to second or third-world countries.

absolutely

it sounds like the OP hasn't seriously investigated this as it is incredibly difficult + time consuming to become a Canadian citizen and not worth it IMO if you're already a U.S. citizen

but if you must know, the quickest way is through marriage...but I don't think there is a huge market of Canadian girls looking to marry American guys so they can immigrate here

It's not like Canada is the awesomest place on earth, heck some of us are actually hoping to get out of Canada some day :)

Maybe you guys can just trade places..

Maybe you guys can just trade places..

Yeah, I want to move north for reasons of not being involved in the USA anymore and experiencing a different country, I have taken the consideration that Canada isn't the best place on earth, but I want to move to a different country within the next 5 years if possible. You've obviously paid attention to USA politics and such, is that not a valid reason to move? My job is needed everywhere, it's sort of an international thing.

Sorry for trying?

You've obviously paid attention to USA politics and such, is that not a valid reason to move?

Nope, that's pretty much an egoistical of a reason compared to the true reason people immigrate to Canada : People dying of famine, complete poverty, international refugees, etc...

Then again there's a still good portion of immigrants from first-world countries (US included), but you better have a specific job skills, or you speak french LOL. In a way, you are living in the world's 1%.

You've obviously paid attention to USA politics and such, is that not a valid reason to move?

Nope, that's pretty much an egoistical of a reason compared to the true reason people immigrate to Canada : People dying of famine, complete poverty, international refugees, etc...

Then again there's a still good portion of immigrants from first-world countries (US included), but you better have a specific job skills, or you speak french LOL. In a way, you are living in the world's 1%.

lol, even those coming from china and so forth would be well off relative to the baseline for their home nation, they would be the organised people that go to canada as economic migrants. Not because sappy diatribe, it's all business. Same as here. So we empty their countries of their educated classes fucking their homeland over even more than if we hadn't accepted these 'poor tired masses'. So accept a brother from the US god damn it, it's just another immigrant, and one that will most likely assimilate better.

Just to note, Canada makes it hard for anyone to get citizenship.

*pulls toque off head and stamps on it in disgust*

Human mobility should be as easy as capital mobility.

strong agreement here.

After reading you were from French-Canada, I understand your responses more, and your attitude.

FWIW, I have a few friends who hold dual citizenship (they live in Victoria, BC) and wanted to move for the same reasons I do. They immigrated... they were the ones who suggested I should try...

soo... I'll go bang around Indonesia for a while, lose some weight, lose a limb, and have a story to immigrate? How is it egotistical to move to one country from another because you don't agree with how the country is run? Just because I'm white and from the U.S.?

lol, even those coming from china and so forth would be well off relative to the baseline for their home nation, they would be the organised people that go to canada as economic migrants. Not because sappy diatribe, it's all business. Same as here. So we empty their countries of their educated classes fucking their homeland over even more than if we hadn't accepted these 'poor tired masses'. So accept a brother from the US god damn it, it's just another immigrant, and one that will most likely assimilate better.

Actually many of the Chinese who migrate here purchase property and then return back from whence they came until retirement age.

Yes, there's that. Here they are buying property off the plan as an investment. Malaysia is apparently the biggest investor, it's stupidly prolonging our inflated house prices which with no increase in wages due again to immigration, is postponing the dream of home ownership for vast swathes of those under 40. They also send children here to study and buy them a residence to stay in whilst they study with a view to residency/citizenship. -sigh- I don't agree with you on this porous borders thing chen, We here live in a desert nation with limited resources but as we are a first world nation are very attractive to everywhere that isn't. And so decades of prudent building up of our social and physical infrastructure is now under threat thanks to the new open door policy that the past couple of governments have been ordered (no doubt, just like with everything else from floating the AUdollar to selling the commonwealth bank, none of which was in our national interest) to put in place.

/goes to bed a discontented patriot

Yes, there's that. Here they are buying property off the plan as an investment. Malaysia is apparently the biggest investor, it's stupidly prolonging our inflated house prices which with no increase in wages due again to immigration, is postponing the dream of home ownership for vast swathes of those under 40. They also send children here to study and buy them a residence to stay in whilst they study with a view to residency/citizenship. -sigh- I don't agree with you on this porous borders thing chen, We here live in a desert nation with limited resources but as we are a first world nation are very attractive to everywhere that isn't. And so decades of prudent building up of our social and physical infrastructure is now under threat thanks to the new open door policy that the past couple of governments have been ordered (no doubt, just like with everything else from floating the AUdollar to selling the commonwealth bank, none of which was in our national interest) to put in place.

Hilarious populism.

Australian nationals of Chinese ancestry (so that's including 2nd generation) make up 4% of Australia's population.

If you want to be city specific, they make up 6.5% of Sydney's population.

To blame the housing bubble on them is ridiculous. If it were like Vancouver with 25% ethnic Chinese I could see a case being made, but for a nation built on immigration it sure seems like a case of "We've got ours, the rest if you can fuck off now".

You lot need a dramatic minimum wage increase (as do the US and Canada) whilst maintaining current levels of inflation. You'll find no argument from me on that point.

I've considered moving to BC before the US becomes an actual prison state.

Hilarious populism.

Australian nationals of Chinese ancestry (so that's including 2nd generation) make up 4% of Australia's population.

If you want to be city specific, they make up 6.5% of Sydney's population.

To blame the housing bubble on them is ridiculous. If it were like Vancouver with 25% ethnic Chinese I could see a case being made, but for a nation built on immigration it sure seems like a case of "We've got ours, the rest if you can fuck off now".

You lot need a dramatic minimum wage increase (as do the US and Canada) whilst maintaining current levels of inflation. You'll find no argument from me on that point.

It's not some local media's sensationalist populism (cause they hardly report on it for fear of waking people up), it's reality, you just have to read our business pages and check out the stats. Foreign buyers are hugely influencing the local new build housing market. It's a thing, we are getting sold. Everything from our farmland, to mines, to beachfront property. And the money is coming from asia. Why is this difficult to understand as a thing, put aside your liberal bias tendency to dismiss anything with a whiff of nationalism. Wth property you don't need a huge lever of excited buyers with plenty cash to help drive prices, so these people in the market have a great influence on pricing in the suburbs that they want to invest in. And it is an investment, they see our property market as a safe place to put their hard earned money, treating our housing market like a super fund or a bank. Which for the people here that actually have to live in the place and want to buy property and have already suffered decades of bad government policy on housing which turned housing into an investment vehicle for the upper middle class, well it's a disaster that just when we thought that there might finally be a correction with housing prices trending down, suddenly all this new money is pumping the market back up again..

lolz the spewmanitee.

4% of the total population is not going to cause a housing bubble (and I'm not arguing that there is no possibility that Australia could face a bubble - in fact there are some serious concerns over the Australian housing market) - blaming immigration for a nation's woes is some serious scapegoating, and honestly, because I love you more than my actual flesh and blood brother, I expected better from you.

You lot need immigration, Especially considering Australia's fertility rate has been below the replacement rate since the late 1970s. You're almost as bad as Canada in terms of replacement rate.

Archived