IGNORED

How to present yourself on stage

granty

Been bugging me for a while this one - I've started doing gigs over the last 6 months or so and I'm never sure how to present myself or how to behave on stage. My setup is basically me playing guitar FX over a backing track in Logic on my laptop, no vocals. I've no idea how other electronic bands/artists present themselves because I've never been to any of those kind of gigs, just to see regular bands.

How do you play it? Do you interact with the audience or go from track to track with little or no breaks in the music? Are you centre stage or sat in the corner shrouded in darkness?

For previous gigs I've basically been stood playing in the middle of the stage - saying a few things between tracks, but I feel a bit exposed and cheesy doing that. Maybe I'd be better sat down with headphones on, no mic, behind my laptop, just ploughing though the tunes with no regard for the audience?

Bands have got it easy - there are established rules for this sort of shit, but solo electronic producers... if you're not careful you're in severe danger of either looking like John Shuttleworth or some sort of maladjusted misanthrope.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As some local psytrance producer said when asked about his "live" performance: "I press play and watch the idiots dance." Made me lol back then.

But anyway, personally I think a cool video and light show is the best way to go for an electronic artist. I mean there's not much to watch with a bloke behind a desk full of gear.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M3f-JwOGO1A

Here's Fennesz and Lillevan using a guitar, laptop and some other gear with a video on the background.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=44hVPykTlBE

There are plenty of rules for solo electronic musicians.

1. Look really really focused, and maybe even a bit annoyed, while staring into your laptop. It'll make what you're doing look really complicated.

2. Turn knobs on an unplugged mixer whenever you feel like showing that you've got things under control. People won't be able to tell that nothing is happening anyway since they music you're playing is super IDM to begin with.

3. If you're playing some hella banging choons, you're allowed to nod your head for a minute or so. Don't overdo it though.

4. Do not acknowledge the crowd. You may wave at them or something when you enter and leave the stage, but that's it.

There's probably more I can't think of right now.

As some local psytrance producer said when asked about his "live" performance: "I press play and watch the idiots dance." Made me lol back then.

But anyway, personally I think a cool video and light show is the best way to go for an electronic artist. I mean there's not much to watch with a bloke behind a desk full of gear.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M3f-JwOGO1A

Here's Fennesz and Lillevan using a guitar, laptop and some other gear with a video on the background.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=44hVPykTlBE

Cheers mokz, the Fennesz vid looks more my kind of style. I like the idea of having some visuals on the go because it sort of takes the heat off you, I've done enough for 4 tracks so far but it's taking ages. Also, you can see the CPU almost maxing out in Logic when there's a video track on there so I'd be shitting myself in a live situation. I might advertise to see if any VJ type people want to collaborate, save me the ball ache.

1. Look really really focused, and maybe even a bit annoyed, while staring into your laptop. It'll make what you're doing look really complicated.

2. Turn knobs on an unplugged mixer whenever you feel like showing that you've got things under control. People won't be able to tell that nothing is happening anyway since they music you're playing is super IDM to begin with.

3. If you're playing some hella banging choons, you're allowed to nod your head for a minute or so. Don't overdo it though.

4. Do not acknowledge the crowd. You may wave at them or something when you enter and leave the stage, but that's it.

Serious, got it. That sounds about right. I did try introducing tracks on my first gig but I think I just confused people and looked a bit of a bellend. I've got some midi controllers I could pretend to be using when I'm not actually playing anything on the guitar, as opposed to staring blankly into space and doing an awkward shuffle.

If you're doing a noise set - pretend that it's a real effort, almost like you're in pain, when turning the dials on your mixer/effect box

Good advice. What do you reckon to headphones? I'll just be splitting the output signal between the phones and the PA system so they'd be totally redundant - but they could give the impression that I'm pre-sequencing some complex drum pattern on the fly?

just focus on making it sound good. the good concerts i've been to were the ones where the musicians were focusing on what they were doing.

be yourself, annihilate artificiality.

Yeah, I guess I'm being a bit of a praise-whore, but If I was 100% being myself I'd just look a bit unsure and nervous about fucking up.

What do you reckon to headphones? I'll just be splitting the output signal between the phones and the PA system so they'd be totally redundant - but they could give the impression that I'm pre-sequencing some complex drum pattern on the fly?

I reckon headphones are actually pretty useful - it's quite difficult to make stuff out on the speakers, so it'd probably be easier to identify issues through your phones rather than the PA. Obviously keep checking the PA sound too - just in case levels are a problem.

Serious, got it. That sounds about right. I did try introducing tracks on my first gig but I think I just confused people and looked a bit of a bellend. I've got some midi controllers I could pretend to be using when I'm not actually playing anything on the guitar, as opposed to staring blankly into space and doing an awkward shuffle.

I'd at least say hi, your name, thanks, etc. Audience members appreciate it. If you avoid needless banter (which only works if it's natural and gels with the crowd) you'll be fine. I agree with Foil though, don't do it during the actual show.

Wear a suit. Seriously. I think the 'just got up from bed and threw a band t-shirt and pants on' look has faded. I'm actually telling this more to myself than you.

That'd be pretty cool I reckon, a mod electronic musician. I wore my Kings of Convenience band tshirt at my last gig, it wasnt very flattering, you could totally see my a-cup man boobs. I'm going with a dark shirt this time. Maybe a waistcoat and a girdle too.

start with a joke

"wanna hear something funny?" *starts playing set*

start with a joke

Jokes are good. I made up some dumb jokes in case buzztracker would crash which it would do pretty frequently. Here are some, feel free to use them.

What do you call a donkey with wings? A pegusass!

Why don't curlers like quantum physics? Because it's HARD!! HAAAARD!!!

Why didn't the water melon marry the honey dew? Because they canteloupe! (can't elope)

Wearing a suit while playing a guitar is an excellent idea. People want to be impressed, so looking cool is a great start, I think when going on stage it is good to have some kind of alter-ego, especially if you`re quite self-conscious, playing a role is a lot more fun than consciously trying not to look stupid.

Wearing a suit while playing a guitar is an excellent idea. People want to be impressed, so looking cool is a great start, I think when going on stage it is good to have some kind of alter-ego, especially if you`re quite self-conscious, playing a role is a lot more fun than consciously trying not to look stupid.

Make sure you wear a fedora though, and say things like "I'm euphoric" between songs.

Yeah, when I play my Pselodux sets I get dressed up in a suit/something colourful, jump around on stage and pull metal moves when playing the solos in my tracks.

I guess it has to be appropriate though. I've just started an industrial metal duo which is a bit more serious, so it won't be appropriate to go crazy onstage, zole.

Archived