IGNORED

modular.

pcock

Edit, ignore - it's pretty much just BEAP (which if you have max4live anyway it's free)

Yeah I was wondering about this myself – seems like the max4cats dudes were about 6 months late to the game. Shitty for them :(

How is Beap? I haven't played with it yet, but trust Stretta's software generally, and doubly so if it's officially part of max now.

May have to get out $10 and rent it for a month.

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

it feels like going to a rc car subforum then someone starts going on about micro machines for the amiga :emb:

ie not about which is better, just which is relevant to this particular thread

only teasing you really. i need to listen to the first track from mogwai - come on die young again. iggy had a lot to say about snobbery in music.

out of interest

4 lfos (triangle, square)

4vco (sync, pw, pwm, fm)

4vcf (all multimode)

4env (adsr)

4vca (in, cv out)

cv and audio mixers (a+b, a+b+c,)

digital noise (with cv and pot control - classic chiptune noise. think c64)

out of interest who'd be willing to buy a system with that spec for £1000 in one big metal case with patch cables and power supply?

would it be too expensive? my friend's making me a custom system and we have to order in bulk (pcbs, case) so i might be making 1 or 2 extra because there are enough parts laying around. the main panel will be custom designed by my cousin (graphic design graduate). (no preorders, probably will stick on or two for sale on ekt buy/sell subforum when its fully made, about 1 or 2 months from now). wont be making more than 5 (basically ordering 20 pcbs for each part. 20/4 = 5.) and ill make some demos and instruction book as pdf

Software's still useful. It'll sound clean, airy and polished compared to the gritty, untamed sound of a relatively cheap analogue modular synth, but it's not worse. Technically, it's positively better. And you can write great music with either kind of setup. I'd rather listen to good music made on cheap gear, software included, than bad music made on anything.

Besides, Micro Machines was a fun game, like Sega's Hot Rod! :)

Not all of us have the space or can afford hardware modulars - software modulars is the closest most of us can get !

good point, but im still not convinced Max/msp is a particularly good environment for this. I mean it already is modular in a big way. People have made patch cable based modular synthesizers in Reaktor and that kind of makes sense, since they put in an interface overlay on top of the internal Reaktor patch cables. This to me just seems like Max/msp patching but calling it a 'modular synth'. And as you know Mcbpete i'm a little nervous saving Live sessions with lots of Max4Live components, if i wasn't I'd probably feel more confident about something like this.

Software wise the best modular imo is Vaz Modular. It's probably the oldest but it's still my favorite. Aalto and Kaivo are also great but those are a little less open ended (nothing wrong with that, i love them both).

sorry to bring the thread back on topic for a second but i highly recommend grabbing one of these if you have enough room in your eurorack setup

just got mine from Controlled Voltage in Portland last thursday, its fucking amazing. Think Logic audio Sculpture in a box. It makes Makenoize's 'Mysteron' modular look like a complete joke in comparison

https://soundcloud.com/fluorescentgrey/mutable-instruments-elements-demo-1

never expected to get anything like this out of it, i bought it for a source of real-time 'organic' synthesis for live shows, mostly drones and textures.

out of interest

4 lfos (triangle, square)

4vco (sync, pw, pwm, fm)

4vcf (all multimode)

4env (adsr)

4vca (in, cv out)

cv and audio mixers (a+b, a+b+c,)

digital noise (with cv and pot control - classic chiptune noise. think c64)

out of interest who'd be willing to buy a system with that spec for £1000 in one big metal case with patch cables and power supply?

for that price it sounds good, i mean 4vcf and 4vca make it pretty powerful. If you have that much stuff inside the base system, it would be an attractive angle to present it sort of like a poly-quad/phonic modular. it would probably need to have some kind of already soft patched system behind the panel like an Arp2600 (especially if all these modules come by default, and this way it would still be fully modular just repatchable from the default signal flow).

edit: the only thing i probably wouldn't like is the digital noise, if it can get to rates high enough to sound more or less like analog white noise it would probably be fine, just in my experience even a sample or wavetable of white noise sounds sounds better for bread and butter modular music making VS a videogamey chip noise generator.

if it had that it would seem like a good deal to me, but only if it had something 'extra' to make it something different than already existing synth a soft prepatched behind the panel 4 voice polyphonic analog with full modular re-patching ability (arp2600 style) or if these modules you were including were your own circuit designs or had something about the design of them that made them different than a typical filter or vco. Im not a typical customer though, most people would probably be happy if you just used all cloned moog or other types of existing circuit schematics

• 2 months later...

You can knock out surprisingly musical stuff on a modular, it's just that most of the demos of people with modulars on Youtube are all robots in space, or so it seems.

Anyway here's some acid on the Serge:

http://www.splitradix.com/serge_sample.mp3

awesome stuff, I drool over getting a proper serge panel (again) some day. Anybody know of a really convenient (and cheap) solution for going to serge banana to eurorack 5v? is it also at 5v or is it 10? I saw somebody made a module that does conversions but cant i just splice a banana cable and put an 1/8th inch jack on the other end? Is that too ghetto for the world of modular synth vanity? I had an creature panel years ago but regrettably had to sell it in a pinch.

here is the only song i ended up making with it

http://bandcamp.com/EmbeddedPlayer/album=1563738267/size=small/bgcol=ffffff/linkcol=0687f5/t=3/transparent=true/

Nonage is fucking badass. Great build up and ending.

You can knock out surprisingly musical stuff on a modular, it's just that most of the demos of people with modulars on Youtube are all robots in space, or so it seems.

Anyway here's some acid on the Serge:

http://www.splitradix.com/serge_sample.mp3

awesome stuff, I drool over getting a proper serge panel (again) some day. Anybody know of a really convenient (and cheap) solution for going to serge banana to eurorack 5v? is it also at 5v or is it 10? I saw somebody made a module that does conversions but cant i just splice a banana cable and put an 1/8th inch jack on the other end? Is that too ghetto for the world of modular synth vanity? I had an creature panel years ago but regrettably had to sell it in a pinch.

here is the only song i ended up making with it

http://bandcamp.com/EmbeddedPlayer/album=1563738267/size=small/bgcol=ffffff/linkcol=0687f5/t=3/transparent=true/

Nonage is fucking badass. Great build up and ending.

• 2 weeks later...

shockingly bad and totally not useful promotional video for the Aira modules however i think in theory at least some of these could be pretty cool. The scatter/grain effect eurorack module is the most whacky of the bunch so far i think, I don't know of any other eurorack manufactures with something like that (are there?)

• 1 month later...

I've just ordered a Doepfer A-100 complete system from Thomann! I'm scared...

congrats !

good times. mine is still pretty rudimentary , Makenoise STO, Intellijel Shapeshifter, Makenoise Function, Korgasmatron, and an Expert Sleeper control system, but its insanely fun.

• 2 weeks later...

hmmm, looks like i got a bad A-190-4 MIDI/CV/USB module...not sending Gate signals properly...done all the tests, spoken with Dieter Doepfer and it seems the module is faulty and I'll need to send it back to Thomann... frustrating! Hopefully they won't mess me around and I can get a replacement module asap...

i like buying all my stuff from rubadub, im friends with the guys in there, anything that goes wrong they get sorted asap and often lend me a replacement while i wait.

Archived