IGNORED

how do you get this sound, the thread

Guest skibby

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest skibby

one more thing, Mesh Gear Fox, thanks for the fm patch, trying it out.

confused on the cents vs hertz thing, not finding "detune" per se...

On a serious note, how do I sing ultra high falsetto without taking estrogen like Michael Jackson and the lead singer of Savage Garden?

My voice is on the lower end, but I can get pretty nice highs. But I was wondering if any of you classically trained singers knew techniques for getting better highs without voice cracking. Seeking IDM level singing tech that perhaps only a singer who is surrounded by circuit bent toys could come across.

I'm talking like, converting James Earl Jones into Mariah Carey whistle register eyeball shattering shit.

I want to start from sub bass and pitch bend up to something ridiculous like in The Fifth Element. When I sing as high as I can, my voice actually goes silent, which might be an indication that I'm hitting some dog whistle shit. And if that's the case, I need to learn how to tone it down to get something audible to humans, cuz I can't release my album on Planet Mu and only have it sold in pet shops. I need to get distribution in human shops to spread my messages of Ultra IDM. And frankly, I think dogs already understand my vision, which is why they aren't involved in bombing other breeds of dogs with drones and creating doggy treats out of thin air using algorithms, with the ultimate intention of weakening and enslaving the majority of dogkind.

Anyway, any insight on the matter appreciated. (p.s. actually interested in achieving this physically, not through a VST)

They key is to not clench your throat.

And then work on a slow, even vibrato. (that's a biggie for making your falsetto sound nice)

(p.s. sing from your throat, not your nose)

Guest skibby

about singing high, well, you are either born with that talent or not, true fact. if you cant do it, then if you can find a tape recorder with speed control, you can record at slow speed, then play it back at fast speed.

Guest Jonah

^ helium

the intro synth? additive i guess, but i MUST MUST know how to make this sound. so far, i imagine ppg does it. wavetable morphing, additive or?

that time was supposedly all software. http://www.technopop-archive.com/data_setup.php

you could make that sound a lot of ways, but reason is probably the easiest. thor or subtractor. search "reason dub chords".

they coulda done it in reaktor too, there are even presets now, not sure at the time, but it wouldn't be hard to build.

can do with fm, but it seems a little too smooth to me.

about singing high, well, you are either born with that talent or not, true fact. if you cant do it, then if you can find a tape recorder with speed control, you can record at slow speed, then play it back at fast speed.

A long time ago I read an interview with Chris Cornell where he was talking about how he had a normal range and then he would practice screaming out high melodies and then over the coarse of a year or something he had added like an octave to his range.

That's not falsetto, but either way I'm quite certain it's not a either-born-with-it-or-not thing.

Even if you don't like Radiohead, look at the evolution of Thom Yorke's falsetto. He didn't have the goods from the get-go.

Thanks, just practicing the high singing tingz right now, I can see how clenching throat might hinder... something. So then I consciously opened my throat when singing high, and somehow I am getting low+high at the same time, so all of a sudden I've become an opera singer.

I'm also discovering I just have to force more air through the tightened throat with diaphragm to get a sound that is not dog whistle silence.

Thanks for help. ***Mariah Carey whistle IDM 2015***

• 3 weeks later...

I really recognise that preset, might be one of the Wavestation keyboards (though don't know if that fits in with that era)

Hmm, if they really are using the Prophet-5s shown in the video that would make sense, since the Wavestation was designed by the same people and they might have sampled some old waves as presets...

peace 7, on 23 May 2014 - 02:40 AM, said:

On a serious note, how do I sing ultra high falsetto without taking estrogen like Michael Jackson and the lead singer of Savage Garden?

My voice is on the lower end, but I can get pretty nice highs. But I was wondering if any of you classically trained singers knew techniques for getting better highs without voice cracking. Seeking IDM level singing tech that perhaps only a singer who is surrounded by circuit bent toys could come across.

I'm talking like, converting James Earl Jones into Mariah Carey whistle register eyeball shattering shit.

I want to start from sub bass and pitch bend up to something ridiculous like in The Fifth Element. When I sing as high as I can, my voice actually goes silent, which might be an indication that I'm hitting some dog whistle shit. And if that's the case, I need to learn how to tone it down to get something audible to humans, cuz I can't release my album on Planet Mu and only have it sold in pet shops. I need to get distribution in human shops to spread my messages of Ultra IDM. And frankly, I think dogs already understand my vision, which is why they aren't involved in bombing other breeds of dogs with drones and creating doggy treats out of thin air using algorithms, with the ultimate intention of weakening and enslaving the majority of dogkind.

Anyway, any insight on the matter appreciated. (p.s. actually interested in achieving this physically, not through a VST)

tried melodyne?

http://www.celemony.com/en/melodyne/what-is-melodyne

(ops just read you didnt want to use vst)

or some kind of vocoder, but then you might sound more like a smurf

Yah, thanks BIOXLAT-- I've been able to turn my voice into any type with VST. VST is high tech. BUT, I think natural inaccuracies of voice are also high tech. Sometimes when I sing, it's all jittery but then for a fraction of a second PURE TONE comes out, and then people think it's "auto tune", but it's not. Anyway, I wish pop music would stop pitch correcting voices to 100% perfection, cuz "imperfections" are beautiful.

Wait nevermind- fuck most pop music.

• 2 years later...

smash yourself in the balls jason

I most indubitably have, thank you.  Smashing metaphorical balls to keep ego in check is the only way to progress.  But also with literal testicles, in elementary school I used to squeeze my balls until they hurt, because I wanted to see what would happen.  IDM experimentation at it's finest.  Legend has it that 3 hours after getting kicked in the balls, Mike P wrote Hasty Boom Alert in one sitting.

What speech engine/vocoder setup is responsible for the 'Aphex Twin' @ 0:46

Heard another vocal snippet in a track recently sounding darn near identical tonally but saying different stuff. So I'm guessing it's some sort of speech synthesis thing....

Good work - Thanks man :)

There are actually a few useful voices you can use in Terminal. I've used a few in songs before.

http://www.techradar.com/how-to/computing/apple/terminal-101-making-your-mac-talk-with-say-1305649

any examples????? 

Takes time to get ratios+modulations right, made an approximation last night but then ADHD kicked in and fucked around with it until I'd made something else. Soz.

Think you're mostly after the slight 'sourness'? That's audio rate modulation at almost harmonic ratios...the bounciness is down to the sequencing and mod/env of pitch + filter. Oh and there's overdrive/distortion for balls/harmonics.

Archived