IGNORED

Renoise 3.0

Guest fiznuthian

I'm sure it won't be too expensive, Renoise is very reasonably priced.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Isn't it free if you have a license for Renoise?

If you have a license, then the next Renoise version will basically have redux build in, as it is exactly the same as the instrument editor (afaik, maybe some small differences because of redux vsti nature / it'll have preferences build in).

But you won't get the redux vsti license for free if I read the forums correctly, you'll get a discount as Renoise user.

Looks great; it'll certainly be useful for my new work, since I mostly use Renoise for just parts of tracks these days, so it'll be better than rendering loops from Renoise to chuck into Reaper.

Looks great; it'll certainly be useful for my new work, since I mostly use Renoise for just parts of tracks these days, so it'll be better than rendering loops from Renoise to chuck into Reaper.

didn't you try Renoise as rewire slave sending tracks to Reaper? worked like a charm since about 4 years here.

Nah, I don't like doing that. I prefer having everything load in one program rather than having to open each program and song file individually.

Just installed this to my mini-laptop because I have the license already and it's the only computer I'm travelling. The new default chiptune instruments are pretty funky. And their pretty cheap CPU-wise.

Otherwise it's pretty heavy for my mini-laptop. The demo songs grind to halt almost instantly. Need to install it to my actual DAW laptop when I get back home.

Yeah I wouldn't even dream of using it on a netbook! It'd be nice if it had a barebones mode where you can just strip everything down to just samples and run it basically just like FT2, heh.

That said, FT2 runs unreasonably nicely on my netbook using DOSbox, so...

I can do some basic techno tracks on my Acer Switch 10. Like 5 tracks and 3 basic VST instruments and a few effects. I disabled the dithering from the audio options to make it run a little faster. You can also drop the sample rate.

• 2 months later...

I wonder how much it'll cost ?

Its out now; http://forum.renoise.com/index.php/topic/44759-renoise-redux-released/?do=findComment&comment=331434

Welcome Renoise Redux.

What is Redux?

In case you've missed the teaser and stuff: Redux basically is the Renoise instrument available as a VST/AU plugin. It runs in other DAWs, and you can load existing .xrni instruments into it.

Redux is a combination of a sampler and performance-oriented phrase sequencer and has expanded upon the set of features it has inherited from Renoise. It is more than just a small "Renoise", as it introduces a slightly different workflow.

More info here: http://www.renoise.com/redux

Want to try it out?

Demo versions can be downloaded at: http://www.renoise.com/download

Pricing and Availability

A Redux license is 58 EUR (+VAT) or 65 USD.

For owners of Renoise, a Redux license is 40 EUR (+VAT) or 45 USD when ordered through the Renoise backstage.

What's included?

Redux comes with a small but fine pack of example instruments, samples, DSP FX Chains, Modulation Sets and Phrases - all the components that make up an instrument in Redux; all you need to play around with Redux to see what it can do, but also to get your hands dirty. We highly recommend to switch through the included presets first to get an impression of what it can do.

For registered users, owners of Redux, there are 3 additional free packs available at the backstage too.

The file format of such XRNL expansion packs is open, so everyone can create and distribute such Redux extension packs. We'll post details about this soon...

Redux and Renoise do share the same instrument format, so you can use instruments from Renoise in Redux and vice versa. At the moment you won't be able to load up instruments from Redux into Redux though, because Renoise isn't updated yet. It will be soon, and then you will be able to use the extension packs in Renoise as well.

• 1 month later...

i find Renoise very difficult to use.

Don't force yourself working with something that doesn't come naturally, or maybe you're just impatient? ;) What do you find difficult? It isn't the most practical program to jam live takes into, doesn't have an overdub solution natively. Maybe Redux is more up your alley, have the beats tracked into phrases and use another daw for midi work?

i dont know why people want to make music in something that looks like an accounting program. basically all software sequencers.

i dont know why people want to make music in something that looks like an accounting program. basically all software sequencers.

Ask RDJs son, he isn't old enough to give you a dishonest opinion.

Trackers are capable of more expression, dynamics and precision than most other software sequencers

Guest skibby

It's such good software, it just makes me a little sad that it isn't made for what I want to do with it.

i find it to be like playing a very large game of memory.

it's very fatiguing to look at all those numbers especially when they are moving. it's very difficult to find problems such as if an instrument just went out of tune or a hanging note after rearranging the sequence.

What do you want to do with it?

Regarding numbers, I guess it's just all about what you're used to. I personally find it frustrating using graphs for automation, and would rather have the precise control of being able to interpolate between two discrete numbers, and also be able to modify the numbers in between without having to click my mouse on an inaccurate graph..

oh cmon. i'd have to spend thousands of dollars on hardware equipment to create a studio equivalent of what i can accomplish in software. precision, depth, and flexibility are all things software does great, but at the cost of tactile experience. the modern DAWs are so extremely powerful and there's many beautiful and interesting plugins. and what about hardware controllers? stuff like the push or maschine are really not that different from the hardware sequencing experience.

that said, renoise i also found difficult to learn. the short time i spent experimenting with renoise 3 definitely made an impression. i really liked it's workflow but struggled to translate my ideas into patterns and sequences. probably just takes time anyway. i think i'm going to reinstall it again and clock sync it to bitwig.

i find it to be like playing a very large game of memory.

it's very fatiguing to look at all those numbers especially when they are moving. it's very difficult to find problems such as if an instrument just went out of tune or a hanging note after rearranging the sequence.

hah, I hear you on the memory front, it used to be even more hardcore without the pattern matrix for bigger overview and autoseek to sync playback of long samples. There's an option to turn of pattern-follow btw, which stops the scrolling. A lot of the breakcore folks work on dizzying high lpb's, I rather stay in a manageable lpb of 4 at first, and if I need higher resolution later on, use a tool which automatically expands all pattern lengths / stretches residing note-events in a song and adjusts lpb accordingly.

If you make beat based music, imo it is easiest to focus on the numbers of 64 length pattern on lpb of 4, use the F9 to F12 keys to divide the pattern in 4 chunks, auto-skipping to the first line of every bar. Once the numbers stick, making beats should be the easiest. Melody sections spanning multiple patterns are still a bitch to edit, compared to the piano rolls in other daws.

There's an option to turn of pattern-follow btw, which stops the scrolling.

If you turn that off, you'll probably want to go to preferences > GUI and turn off Seperate edit & play positions.

i wish there was a physics sequemcer. you could build it like an erector set. gears, wheals, weights, balls, all creating control information.

Guest skibby

what is a good approach to Renoise if you would like to utilize its beat slicing features? i find it a little esoteric to use hex numbers in the proper slots, and go back and forth from the beat slicing screen to come up with the proper hex codes. it seems like too much trial and error is involved.

still, using the 0SXX command is the most flexible one as it lets you play freely with the samples pitch (which you can't do if you use the note values for addressing different slices) so I stuck using it the whole time. For breaks it's really ok to do it that way because a lot of them have their different hits (kick snares etc) at the same offset values generally (for example snares are often at 0S40 and 0SC0 or 0S20 - 60 - A0 - E0 depending on the lenght of the sample). Also it's a good idea to have a look at the sample window when starting using a break for a track and see where the different beat elements are (which offset value they have).

this method takes time to master for sure but it worth it I think. The amount of trial and error is fine for me (because of the "happy accidents" thing).

I'm still at 2.9 btw so it could be something changed since then.

Archived