IGNORED

Renoise 3.0

Guest fiznuthian

The tricky thing is if you use the auto slice feature and you have more than 16 slices then it uses values like 01,02,03 for offset AND maps them to keys as well. Kind of confusing. Haven't quite figured out the workflow maybe there is a way to have pitch effect the actual pitch and then also get all of the drum hits automatically triggered by offset, it would be nice to have a quick offset preview command or something. Maybe it exists, just trying to come to grips with it myself.

http://www.renoise.com/blog/Slice%20Markers%20Explained

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I never use the slice function for breakbeats, I always just manually set the offset using the Sxx command as Antape explained. Once you figure out how the offsets work (ie. S40 = 25%, S80 = 50%, SC0 = 75% etc) it isn't difficult.

what Modey said!

another random thought about a question previously asked regarding Renoise used for ambient : I rarely do ambient and never used Renoise for beatless stuff but I came across a problem with a track I'm currently working on. I use a long sample of a time-streched voice and wanted to make a background pad with it. I was surprised to see that there was no option for changing the note of the sample without re-triggering it (legato style). I found a thread on that topic and there's no workaround, quite sad. I don't think that prevents you from doing ambient at all but I thought it fitted the topic.

Anyway Renoise is great and I keep improving my skills with it over the time. I'll probably go for the 3.0 some day but I don't feel about spending money for it yet and I'm already so pleased with the 2.9!

Unless you bought it when version 1.9 came out the upgrade is free.

Wait, couldn't you just use the Gxx command? It doesn't trigger the sample again. I wouldn't be pselodux without the glide command!

Regarding Renoise and beatless stuff, you should check Jonas' (aka Djeroek) modules.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/rifm5wmdh9s8608/Richard%20Jonas%20-%20Maxtor%20Hitachi%20%28dry%29.rar?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/zjd8rpmiw8fchn4/Richard%20Jonas%20-%20Sinus%20%282004%29.rar?dl=0

He uses Renoise like Parmegiani used his magnetophones.

Guest skibby

what Modey said!

another random thought about a question previously asked regarding Renoise used for ambient : I rarely do ambient and never used Renoise for beatless stuff but I came across a problem with a track I'm currently working on. I use a long sample of a time-streched voice and wanted to make a background pad with it. I was surprised to see that there was no option for changing the note of the sample without re-triggering it (legato style). I found a thread on that topic and there's no workaround, quite sad. I don't think that prevents you from doing ambient at all but I thought it fitted the topic.

Anyway Renoise is great and I keep improving my skills with it over the time. I'll probably go for the 3.0 some day but I don't feel about spending money for it yet and I'm already so pleased with the 2.9!

couldn't you do a pitch shift?

• 1 month later...

I know its not exactly renoise related but Tracker related more so.. No surprises to hear this from the man..

On druqks

"

• @user18081971: mostly written in Playerpro for the mac, my fave tracker, wish it would be brought back, had some amazing features and i helped code a bunch of top dsp fx for it
    Posted 1 month ago1 month
  • @auritak: most of computerised tracks, yeah, laptop and headphones

Probably safe to assume it was then mixed and finely edited in a daw of somesort.. Similar workflow to some of the stuff ive been playing around with in renoise..

Love the trackers! Really wanting to do a whole EP of tracker tunes instead of the hardware stuff ive been doing lately..

Yeah I had a feeling the crazy tracks on drukqs were made on a tracker. That much control and precision would be annoying to emulate using a non-tracker interface.

PlayerPro seems like a proto-Renoise..

I'm considering getting back into renoise production.. I have a few super proggy sections I started and never finished, so I might try to get them finished with the help of hardware/guitar/etc.. somehow

Love the trackers! Really wanting to do a whole EP of tracker tunes instead of the hardware stuff ive been doing lately..

Yeah. Renoise began to seem really comfortable and fun to me after 2 years of dealing with hardware only setup.

Being inspired by that PlayerPro AFX quotes i made this some time ago:

https://clyp.it/gmiasnap

Loops + Samples + Synth1 + ValhallaUberMod + native Renoise stuff

https://www.dropbox.com/s/4vz6o23lijfzs1n/DataPurgeRenoiseRevisit2015.xrns?dl=0

what Modey said!

couldn't you do a pitch shift?

kind of missed the several answers to that. yeah there are workarounds but I find them all unpractical in comparison to just adding a note, legato style.

Really nice track telefunken, it does sounds pretty AFX-y. Great breaks anyway. Couldn't open the .xrns file because I'm stuck with 2.9.

The Gxx command IS legato, though. It's even better since it gives you precise control over the legato time, each time you use it. How is it impractical to just add the command next to the note?

Yeah. Renoise began to seem really comfortable and fun to me after 2 years of dealing with hardware only setup.

that track is really awesome btw. Just a question, it sounds like you are chopping up a lot of 'one shot' type of break sounds. Is it easy to chop a break into a lower amount of slices, like lets say a break technically has like 32 hits in it but you only want 8 divisions (so each time you fire it off it plays a whole part of the break rather than just a snare or a hat)

track is fucking sick, brother

Is it easy to chop a break into a lower amount of slices, like lets say a break technically has like 32 hits in it but you only want 8 divisions (so each time you fire it off it plays a whole part of the break rather than just a snare or a hat)

Absolutely, there's just a "sample offset" command to control the start position and the resolution is 1/256th of the sample. This is pretty typical for trackers but Renoise also lets you set these points arbitrarily, so you get the best of both tracker and MPC worlds.

CDP is arguably the closest native software based thing that does what the Kyma systems are best at doing. Sinusoidal decomposition of real sounds (like recreating a human voice with 64 sine wave oscillators ) or dynamic spectral morphing that uses the fundamental frequency of the sound as the morph guide (instead of just typical convolution). Thats why im curious why since it came out (2014 i think) for Renoise i haven't heard any Venetian Snares or similar tracks using CDP/Kyma sounding techniques. its been the biggest motivation for me for learning a tracker so far, but its still not enough to push me out of frustration territory

Nice CDP/Renoise demo based on one break and one vocal sample:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/a0ui5ocbeqzi0c0/CDPShowcase.mp3

any idea who made this? i shouldnt have posted what i did above because this is probably a good example of what im talking about except its not really showing off very well what CDP can do to voice samples

Nice CDP/Renoise demo based on one break and one vocal sample:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/a0ui5ocbeqzi0c0/CDPShowcase.mp3

This one is by me too lol. It was my last year's CDP exercise.

CDP is arguably the closest native software based thing that does what the Kyma systems are best at doing. Sinusoidal decomposition of real sounds (like recreating a human voice with 64 sine wave oscillators ) or dynamic spectral morphing that uses the fundamental frequency of the sound as the morph guide (instead of just typical convolution). Thats why im curious why since it came out (2014 i think) for Renoise i haven't heard any Venetian Snares or similar tracks using CDP/Kyma sounding techniques. its been the biggest motivation for me for learning a tracker so far, but its still not enough to push me out of frustration territory

Iirc Jonas who helped afta8 to develop this frontend uses CDP in nearly every track now :)

https://soundcloud.com/plugexpert/richard-jonas-dubbelspel

that track is really awesome btw. Just a question, it sounds like you are chopping up a lot of 'one shot' type of break sounds. Is it easy to chop a break into a lower amount of slices, like lets say a break technically has like 32 hits in it but you only want 8 divisions (so each time you fire it off it plays a whole part of the break rather than just a snare or a hat)

Absolutely, there's just a "sample offset" command to control the start position and the resolution is 1/256th of the sample. This is pretty typical for trackers but Renoise also lets you set these points arbitrarily, so you get the best of both tracker and MPC worlds.

You can use slices also. Though i remember from childhood that 0S40 is a first snare hit and 0SC0 is a second one in a 16 ticks drumloop and 0S80 is a middle of a sample.

Regarding this track breaks i used 2 instruments with several 256-line Phrases with stretched by 0S00-0SFF command drumloop inside and different LPBs for different grain sizes. Then you can use this phrase as plain loop with 0S command again. It is like ableton's sample warp feature but on a rudimentary level.

I used CDP also for some FX.

Archived