IGNORED

New track, electro type of stuff with loads of Oberheim SEMs

Rbrmyofr

Detailed but still simple, great build-up and other dynamics. Would love to smoke a bong in chill with this (maybe I will today!)

are they new or old sems?

i had a sem pro that i sold and i miss it more than anything else ive ever gotten rid of. lush little boxes!

They are all new SEM patch panels, by new I mean the first one Tom's done since back in the day. I bough the first in 2009 when he started re-releasing them and then got some more second hand off various people who were selling them. They're all the new versions, which I think sound great. I've got a load of vintage Roland, EMS, Yamaha etc stuff, and the new SEMs still fit right in easily.

I totally open to how all my tracks were made if anybody has any questions about synths, effects, EQ, recording chain etc. Feel free to ask questions here or PM or whatever.

Love that Splitradix sound. So good.

Question for you. How much do you do in the computer? Do you record a long jam and then edit that down? Do you record tracks separately into Logic or wherever and mix them there?

The only thing the computer does is record a stereo track, via Logic 8. No compression, overdubs or edits are added after. It's all a live take off the mixing desk. Normally I'd do around five or six takes before I get it right depending on how many times I make a mistake with turning the bass up on a particular channel etc.

The only thing the computer does is record a stereo track, via Logic 8. No compression, overdubs or edits are added after. It's all a live take off the mixing desk. Normally I'd do around five or six takes before I get it right depending on how many times I make a mistake with turning the bass up on a particular channel etc.

That's really awesome and sounds like it would be complicated to get everything working together.

I enjoyed your Vimeo videos... maybe the WATMM folks would too:

http://vimeo.com/search?q=splitradix

Quick question....

On Melody Cube (my favorite track of yours so far!!!), I'm trying to figure out how you produced the main synth line.

It has an odd characteristic/effect I'm not familiar with (not flange, phasing, reverb etc). In fact, I can't even decide what waveform it's in?

Any insight would be appreciated! cheers

The very first synth that comes in on Melody Cube (blatant plug: http://virtualurbanrecords.bandcamp.com/track/melody-cube) is a Serge Animal which you can see here, it's the top panel: http://www.splitradix.com/serge_panels.JPG

It's two sawtooth oscillators, both playing different notes but at the same time, going into the filter, pretty basic really. The filter is being modulated in time with the notes by another sequencer so it changes on each note which is an effect I really like. There's a bit of portamento there too to make it slide in a nice acidy way when the gaps between the notes get bigger. There's a small bit of reverb and delay on it also, no other unusual effect.

But pretty quickly I match the main Serge line with the EMS Synthi A (pure decadence I know), playing almost the exact same thing, but playing a few different notes every so often to keep things interesting. The Synthi is using two oscillators, one is a saw and the other a square, going into its filter, and that's about it. Some compression to tame it. The Synthi's filter is kind of strange as it has this built in slew, so when you match the filter's CV to the oscillator's CV the filter will slide up and down which is one of my acid secret weapons.

• 1 month later...

yea, surfing on lush pads…very cool. loving your use of the pitch shift/portamento. would hope that you were sliding that pitch shifter yourself. getting deep into the groove. miami 1982.

Archived