IGNORED

zappa- RDNZL

Guest murphythecat8

Guest murphythecat8

just in case you guys never heard this masterpiece.

One of my favorite composition of him. One of his best solo and also one of his most special arrangement imo.

Those three Warner albums are pretty underrated in his legacy, mostly because they are marked as contract breakers (with the ugliest artwork in his discography). Still, Studio Tan, Orchestral Favorites (my fave version of Duke of Prunes) and Sleep Dirt are great albums, especially the latter (the version without those awful, awfulvocals).

Anyway, this track is one of the finest from those three I'd say. Mental, mental tune. But still, Sleep Dirt man:

^ weren't those albums supposed to be released as one massive album? That's what I remember reading

Zappa planned to release those three + Zappa In New York as a huge album called 'Läther' with Warner, but Warner refused. Then Warner demanded more albums from him due to contract obligations, so he tried to sue them. At the same time those three albums got released without his permission and Warner also did the ugly artwork for them, as well as not having the proper credits. Etc: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sleep_Dirt#Background

In short:

zappa79.jpg

the OP track sounds like a contract breaking track to me. Guitar solo's phoned in and the piano is trynah do whatever to fit. Roll it, ok next song, brew another coffee, cigarette break, back to it, i want this album cut by tonight.

Guest murphythecat8

I watched a 4 hour Zappa plays Zappa concert last night...amazing stuff

yeah I saw them a couple of years ago, they are great

I dont have a favorite frank zappa album as I just find too many songs hit and miss. But its crazy how many good songs he has in his whole discography. you just have too find them though!

dont forget all the live version of your favorite songs from him. he has a huge bootleg collection!

Guest murphythecat8

I think my favorite FZ is mid-70's stuff.

my favorite era would be from 72 to 76 indeed!! its the most diverse and unique zappa. My favorite year is 72 and 74!

I also like the 78-79 era and the old zappa particularly 68-69-70

• 3 weeks later...

I managed to catch Banned From Utopia last night and they were out-fucking-standing. They did a two-hour set full to the brim of 70s-80s Zappa material and it was played to perfection, as you'd expect. Would definitely recommend!

Ah, bummer, they just passed through the Netherlands last month, two days after your first post about this group... Should've paid attention as I still haven't seen ZPZ or this group even though ZPZ played here a lot too...

• 2 weeks later...
Guest murphythecat8

ya!!!! the late 60's early 70's is definitely the most important era of frank.

I also listen to frank like I do with IDM. imo, its one of the first to have the same type of philosophy in the percussion and drum like electronica will do 30 years later.

The fact that since 65, everything that we hear, from the bass line to the drum, was written by frank is very impressive.

a true genius.

Archived