IGNORED

Aphex Twin: Computer Controlled Acoustic Instruments pt2 EP

Dpek

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Richard, you did it again... it´s bombastic!!

<3!!!!

It screams remixme, chop me, edit me, bitcrushme and pass me through your modular noodles.

For the audio producers, do you think it was recorded to tape or direct to digital?. All al the same time or multitracked?(probably the latter to get that audiophile quality) Also, the secuencing would be done via cirklon or computer or whatever?

Finally there´s some bits (4 ex. diskhat all @2:54) that sound like synths... acoustic lush synths!!

Loving it and preparing to somehow remix it with my own sounds... Thanks Ricardo!!!

Guest bitroast

I don't think any of those songs should have been on Syro. This is very different material, more skeletal, less groovy, colder, etc., it has nothing to do with Syro and for me it would have made Syro weaker. But I understand why those who think Druqks is the ultimate Aphex album would have wanted those tracks on Syro, to make it sound like Druqks part 2.

Less groovy!..

This EP definitely delivere on the funk hehe i think i think

I'm totally not listening to this until I get the CD.

Did anyone else notice that he may have hinted at this release in Syro interview? Said something about the length of time it takes to release stuff, and then mentioned for example if he gave WARP something now (or then), then it wouldn't be out until January.

Same here. Finding it extremely hard to resist the leaks, but if I can do it with Syro, I suppose I can do it with anything.

Really stoked at reading everyone's feedback, though. I was hoping for something darker and eerier this time around, and the general consensus is that Ricardo has delivered.

Did anyone else notice that he may have hinted at this release in Syro interview? Said something about the length of time it takes to release stuff, and then mentioned for example if he gave WARP something now (or then), then it wouldn't be out until January.

That's exactly what he hinted at, yes.

Guest cult fiction

Bit of a mind fuck to essentially be listening from inside a snare on snr2.

After listening to this twice and then listening back to the prepared druqks tracks, I really miss the feeling of being 'inside' the piano. I realize w/ HAT and everything this is impossible of course but the recording feels very straightforward even on diskclavier only tracks.

The beats are very mechanical, listen to the rides, clearly these were programmed with as little variation as possible, interesting choice(not necessarily a bad one)

I think Kladfvgbung Mischk is the bar and none of these tracks live up to it so far, early days of course!

After listening to this twice and then listening back to the prepared druqks tracks, I really miss the feeling of being 'inside' the piano. I realize w/ HAT and everything this is impossible of course but the recording feels very straightforward even on diskclavier only tracks.

The beats are very mechanical, listen to the rides, clearly these were programmed with as little variation as possible, interesting choice(not necessarily a bad one)

I think Kladfvgbung Mischk is the bar and none of these tracks live up to it so far, early days of course!

i disagree about the recordings ( i think?), some of them sound to me like he took the whole drukqs prepared piano approach into a larger scale setting, instead of being inside of something as 'small' as a piano, he's made what sounds similar to the prepared piano tracks with physically larger pieces strewn about a room. So you listening perspective sits in the middle of these larger boomier more bodied objects banging around you. Have you tried listening on headphones?

If we're just comparing the piano only tracks, i guess i could see preferring the record quality of Drukqs. This EP seems like he recorded them with a fairly straight forward stereo mic setup in his home. Drukqs pianosounded very professionally recorded to me

Guest cult fiction

i disagree about how these tracks were recorded, some of them sound to me like he took the whole drukqs prepared piano approach into a larger scale setting, instead of being inside of something as 'small' as a piano, he's made what sounds similar to the prepared piano tracks with physically larger pieces strewn about a room. So you listening perspective sits in the middle of these larger boomier more bodied objects banging around you. Have you tried listening on headphones?

I only listened on monitors + inferior work headphones thus far, where Druqks definitely sounded better, but gonna give it another full rinse tonight with my good ones and perhaps I'll agree

I guess I'll say this: I'm used to hearing bands and such recorded positionally, perhaps the novelty I'm missing is the feeling of being inside something impossibly small

p.s. I like all the kid chatter and dogs, gives it some real life druqks was missing

Detected a good bit of tape saturation as well, definite change from the hyper crisp digital druqks recordings

Guest bitroast

Anyone considered doing this?

1. Minipops 67 (Source Field Mix)

2. diskhat ALL prepared1mixed 13

3. Xmas_Evet10 (Thanaton3 Mix)

4. snar2

5. Produk 29

6. diskhat1

7. 4 Bit 9d Api+e+6

8. piano un1 arpej

9. 180db_

10. DISKPREPT4

11. Circlont6a (Syrobonkus Mix)

12. hat 2b 2012b

13. Fz Pseudotimestretch+e+3

14. disk aud1_12

15. Circlont14 (Shrymoming Mix)

16. 0035 1-Audio

17. Syro U473t8+e (Piezoluminescence Mix)

18. disk prep calrec2 barn dance [slo]

19. Papat4 (Pineal Mix)

20. DISKPREPT1

21. S950tx16wasr10 (Earth Portal Mix)

22. diskhat2

23. Aisatsana

24. piano un10 it happened

25. Marchromt30a Edit 2b 96

26. hat5c 0001 rec-4

could even throw in some syrobonkers! traxxx if you wanted the ultimate aphex 2014 bombtastic mix of everything :)

WOOT! Hearing something familiar :wink:

oh god. now I really wanna hear the record at 45...

you mean the CD is the slower speed ? please god no, i don't have the brain of a slime mould, i need something happening.

yes i realise that slime moulds don't have brains.

you mean the CD is the slower speed ? please god no, i don't have the brain of a slime mould, i need something happening.

Yeah, the CD is definitely slower than that video.

Guest bitroast

do not worry. it doesn't sound 'slow'. the tracks have enough rhythm and funk to them that you shouldn't worry about things not happening or grabbing your attention :)

I have to disagree. At the slower speed it's obvious there's a lot of craftmanship and care put into the sounds and it's spatial aspects. But musically, to my ears at least, it only starts to breathe at the 45rpm. To me, at 33rpm it's mostly a technical experience where the sounds themselves are in the spotlight. It's nice to have that as well, but when I want to listen to music...45rpm please.

Went to my local record store (the only one worth going to) with all the cool records, and the girl behind the counter didn't know who Aphex Twin was. Didn't even know how to spell it to check if it was in yet. Sigh.

Guest progben

Fell in love with this album instantly. It reminds me a lot of Dawn of Midi. Always been fascinated with drones and clocks and i think Aphex really creates an interesting ensemble. Putting the beautiful piano track near the end is genius after the sterility of the rest of it, too.

So glad I preordered the record because it's a completely different beast at a higher speed.

& having this lead directly into Syro on my phone is amazing. Minipops is that much needed breath of fresh air, the sun coming up after being trapped in the fucking creepy attic.

Bravo Aphex for releasing a great experiment that definitely makes me appreciate Syro a lot more too.

Archived