IGNORED

DAWs with multi touch support

Just got me a windows touch screen lappy - I normally use ableton live on my desktop but I've read that it doesnt support touch very well yet. Any daws out there that anyone uses that have decent touch support?

Really wanna give mixing on touchscreen, and controlling fx and stuff.

Fruityloops and Usine hollyhock are the only ones I know of that have actually integrated proper touch support and multitouch. Of all the programs I tested, Live seemed like it couldn't even handle regular touch whereas something like Reaktor could handle regular single touch fine. I tested a bunch of programs on a Windows 8 laptop and posted the results here about 2 years ago, ill try to find the thread.

for some reason developers have chosen to focus on the Ipad, i guess more money is to made on a disabled non computer tablet device rather than providing a real DAW running ona real computer with multi touch. Kind of disappointing Win 8 touch stuff never really made a spalsh

If you can dig your test thread out for me that would be excellent. I spose Ipads were the zeitgeisty new thing a few years ago, and lots of music peeps were already using macbooks...hopefully more music progs will support windows multi touch when win10 is released. My main music pc is an un networked XP desktop so I'm slightly behind the curve (although im sure there's still loads of you still using atari sts and stuff ;) would be cool to do stuff on laptop though, touch or not

Incidentally I was just looking at the FL Studio 12 release notes, and they write "Multi-touch capability extends to the Mixer". There's also a dedicated windows 8 FL thingy called Groove:

http://www.image-line.com/flstudiogroove/

Looks like they're really proud of the piano roll zooming lol

incidentally (again)..how did you get that animated gif in your avatar running? my attempts so far have failed miserably

There also a dozen ways to control your daw with lemur or other iPad apps that either remote control the daw or are natively running on iPad. A normal daw is far from touch friendly thats why you should use remote apps instead as they work well for clumsy fingers instead of a mouse cursor optimized interface that has pull down menus and other stuff that doesn't work with touch

thats why you should use remote apps instead as they work well for clumsy fingers instead of a mouse cursor optimized interface that has pull down menus and other stuff that doesn't work with touch

well that's why i was saying there are only a few DAWs which have implemented this, it still doesn't flow with my workflow style at all to use a separate touch device to control a computer, I wish more DAW developers weren't so content with the ipad + Computer pair trend.

... incidentally Usine Hollyhock 2 has a 50% off introductory thingy going on.

I came in here to post this. Can't back this hard enough now that v2 is out. I hope Senso finally brings back VST authoring like the old, pre-Hollyhock version had but even without that it would be worth the full price, much less the sale price. I never liked the workflow of version 1 as much as I wanted to like it, but v2 is great.

thats why you should use remote apps instead as they work well for clumsy fingers instead of a mouse cursor optimized interface that has pull down menus and other stuff that doesn't work with touch

well that's why i was saying there are only a few DAWs which have implemented this, it still doesn't flow with my workflow style at all to use a separate touch device to control a computer, I wish more DAW developers weren't so content with the ipad + Computer pair trend.

Did you try the logic remote app yet? It really extends my workflow + it works right out of the box while completely free of charge

Did you try the logic remote app yet? It really extends my workflow + it works right out of the box while completely free of charge

i have too old an iPad for it to work, which is another reason why I fundamentally can't stand the whole iPad/computer pairing up phenomenon. Yeah an old computer with an old OS might run slow, but you can still install a new OS on it and pretty much use it, but not with an iPad apparently, you're just stuck with a brick that can't run most shit.

... incidentally Usine Hollyhock 2 has a 50% off introductory thingy going on.

I came in here to post this. Can't back this hard enough now that v2 is out. I hope Senso finally brings back VST authoring like the old, pre-Hollyhock version had but even without that it would be worth the full price, much less the sale price. I never liked the workflow of version 1 as much as I wanted to like it, but v2 is great.

VST authoring..those were the days! I never got into HH1 either, it was simply too much of a paradigm shift UX-wise. HH2 on the other hand is really delivering. I was thinking of getting something like the Lenovo LT1423p as a "touchy" desktop extension.

Only thing missing at the moment is a proper tutorial/webinar infrastructure. Basic workflows, scripting, IOs, Making ofs, etc..nicely packed in screencasts or workshop videos..

• 5 months later...

I've this for Ableton, alas my phone screen is too small for it to be of much use except the x/y pad and the midi pads. Works great though, even via wifi on my 3+ year old Samsung Galaxy 3

• 2 weeks later...

so Bitwig 1.3 (release candidate) is available as of this week - full multi-touch support, looks like what JE's been after for a while now, seemed worth posting:

http://www.bitwig.com/en/bitwig_1_3

I've been preoccupied with other shit so I haven't updated and messed with Bitwig in a month.. 1.2 is already hot shit, but daaaamn 1.3 already? The devs are working super fast.

I know what you mean, I was so happy with Hollyhock II last time I was in this thread and since then I've probably run it three times, I've just been building and using little hardware pieces an playing a little guitar and hardly touching a computer at all when I'm making music.

Archived