IGNORED

[Star Trek: Discovery] New Star Trek Series 2017

Nebraska

• 1 month later...

Strange New Worlds is pretty good for a pilot, although it takes a somewhat dark meta turn towards the end. They’ve dialed back the JJ Abrams look somewhat, trying to appeal to old school Trek fans while modernizing the approach for a diverse audience. Still not sold on the Spock actor yet.

D153DCBF-5579-4FDA-9C03-A1685B6F7945.jpeg

• Like 2

Yeah, SNW E1 was quite nice; just binged Discovery S4, wasn't too bad either. Picard S2 could've been better. Discovery S5 is ostensibly in the works. I'll check out Prodigy as well, but it's an animation, so a different beast altogether. Lower Decks was somewhat funny at times.

Edited by dcom
  • Like 1

baffles me that michael chabon is the lead writer for picard and the writing is so so terrible.

also pissed that now when i think of captain picard - the greatest captain of all time - i think of a senile bumbling old idiot. thanks.

Picard S2 was a mess, the first season was also a mess.  Having 20+ credited producers on it probably doesn't help. And it seems S3 is yet again an overhaul of the story when they collect all the old TNG cast from the celebrity zoo in cons to try to re-heat that old TNG feels. Strange New Worlds seems alright, liked Pike when he featured on Discovery. Discovery is a bit hit and miss but overall alright. I am not a trekkie by any means so I don't really get upset when the new Trek is not the same as TNG.

4 minutes ago, azatoth said:

I am not a trekkie by any means so I don't really get upset when the new Trek is not the same as TNG.

I've re-watched the whole TNG once, and I don't think I can do it again, it's so full of facepalm in various ways. I don't mind an episode here and there every now and then, but bingeing is almost painful.

• Thanks 1

I caught the odd TNG episode when it came on TV here, B5 was my jam when it came on TV. I have not re-visited either since and I think I will let them be gilded by nostalgia in my mind.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, azatoth said:

B5 was my jam when it came on TV. 

Never clicked with B5, I might try and give it another go, as I did buy season 1. 

After the initial WTF with Discovery, I quit after managing a few episodes, and haven't bothered with any of the new shows. Zero interest or opinion now. I don't mind that Trek ended with Enterprise for me. 

3 hours ago, species8472 said:

strange new worlds so far is great. best of the bunch. discovery has just been a steady decline since season 1. picard is a fools errand. terrible.

not sure i'd say it's great, but it's an improvement. for one, i don't know if i like the captain and even more, importantly, that i see the dynamic betwix captain and crew with such a glaring age difference. also, did he say "hit it" when they went into warp? whatever he said felt off.

as long as it's not discovery and nowhere near as bad as picard i guess that's a good thing but it's basically the orville tier star trek

Edited by Nebraska

Yeah, it has it's fair share of dud episodes, but at least it's building towards something interesting, even in the weaker bits.

• 4 months later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...