IGNORED

[Star Trek: Discovery] New Star Trek Series 2017

Nebraska

I'm watching Picard... it's OK, not amazing. However my wife (who normally hates Star Trek) actually likes it, along with Discovery, so at least got something we can enjoy together.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Rubin Farr said:

As a 90s Trekkie I'm really enjoying it.  Mixing old characters from different shows is nice, and it's not a big "let's get the band back together" clusterfuck like the new Star Wars movies.  My fav scene so far was 

Hide contents

Seven of Nine euthanizing Icheb, that was intense

Looking forward to the finale and maybe a season 2?

Yeah it already got renewed. Although Chabon is leaving as showrunner after s1.

• 2 months later...

Finished Picard with the gf, pretty cheesy ending, but I guess they wanted to do something new after almost 35 years of the character.  Still mostly liked it.

CBS All Access today announced a series order for Star Trek: Strange New Worlds, based on the years Captain Christopher Pike manned the helm of the U.S.S. Enterprise.

The series will feature fan favorites from season two of Star Trek: Discovery, Anson Mount as Captain Christopher Pike, Rebecca Romijn as Number One and Ethan Peck as Science Officer Spock. The series will follow Captain Pike, Science Officer Spock and Number One in the decade before Captain Kirk boarded the U.S.S. Enterprise, as they explore new worlds around the galaxy.

https://www.startrek.com/news/star-trek-strange-new-worlds-anson-mount-rebecca-romijn-ethan-peck-cbs-all-access

2 hours ago, Nebraska said:

could be cool, they were all pretty decent in their roles.

who knows, maybe it'll be an actual, real Star Trek show instead of the Discovery/Picard silliness. not holding out much hope tho.

2 hours ago, auxien said:

who knows, maybe it'll be an actual, real Star Trek show instead of the Discovery/Picard silliness. not holding out much hope tho.

theres zero chance it will ever happen, is there even anything like TOS/TNG available right now?

13 hours ago, auxien said:

Pike was one of the best aspects of Discovery season 2 tbh. I'll be cautiously excited about this (although I'm on record as enjoying Picard and being a glutton for punishment)

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Ugh, they just don't know what to do with Star Trek do they, it's a Rick and Morty wannabe now?

• 8 months later...

Today, Paramount Studios announced that they will be releasing an untitled Star Trek Universe movie on June 9, 2023. As of now, the film is untitled.

https://www.startrek.com/news/paramount-studios-announces-new-star-trek-movie-release-date

no details yet and i'm already disappointed

• Like 1
  • Facepalm 1

Did anyone watch season 3? Is it as unwatchable as the previous two shitstains?

1 hour ago, Himelstein said:

Does discovery also have characters from tng? I just hate looking up anything sci-fi relayedanymore because of spoilers. 

no. it much more follows JJ Abrams’ aesthetic.

• 4 months later...

^Picard S2 looks even worse than S1 was, somehow. will not be watching.

On 5/15/2020 at 10:21 PM, auxien said:
On 5/15/2020 at 8:16 PM, Nebraska said:

yeah, looks like it's going to be dumb just based on the character intros video. just more rehashing old Star Trek yet again. seems really sad that there's an entire galaxy in this universe they could explore and they just keep going back to the same old shit.

On 9/12/2021 at 7:48 PM, Shimon_Shimon said:

Discovery, Below Decks, and Picard are not Star Trek. They might share the name, but they have nothing whatsoever to do with Star Trek. 

You thought those were bad? lol

2 hours ago, Rubin Farr said:

You thought those were bad? lol

I know I'm not the target audience, but that looks like it will suck too. (IMO)

I'm sure there are lots of people that enjoy the new shows, I have some friends that do. However, I think the new shows fundamentally lack what made Star Trek different from a lot of other sci-fi, an element of hope for the future and sense of adventure and wonder. Discovery and Picard smack of creative bankruptcy. Both full of 'plosions and edginess, I don't see that it has much of what came before.

A better argument could be made for Lower Decks, but again, the show seems to be lacking what made the older shows good, just adding in a dash of Next Gen to give it some credibility. The Lower Decks episode in Next Gen is a classic, an angle that still is fertile for exploration in the right hands. So much they could still do with the franchise in the right hands. They seem hell-bent on taking the worst of the films, and pursing a course of Disneyfication.

It's a matter of taste and personal opinion - there were a lot of fans bemoaning Next Gen, DS9... when they were first released - but unlike what came before, warts and all, I think people would be hard pressed to find it in the new shows. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Shimon_Shimon said:

I know I'm not the target audience, but that looks like it will suck too. (IMO)

I'm sure there are lots of people that enjoy the new shows, I have some friends that do. However, I think the new shows fundamentally lack what made Star Trek different from a lot of other sci-fi, an element of hope for the future and sense of adventure and wonder. Discovery and Picard smack of creative bankruptcy. Both full of 'plosions and edginess, I don't see that it has much of what came before.

A better argument could be made for Lower Decks, but again, the show seems to be lacking what made the older shows good, just adding in a dash of Next Gen to give it some credibility. The Lower Decks episode in Next Gen is a classic, an angle that still is fertile for exploration in the right hands. So much they could still do with the franchise in the right hands. They seem hell-bent on taking the worst of the films, and pursing a course of Disneyfication.

It's a matter of taste and personal opinion - there were a lot of fans bemoaning Next Gen, DS9... when they were first released - but unlike what came before, warts and all, I think people would be hard pressed to find it in the new shows. 

It seems to be aiming at the Nickelodeon audience