IGNORED

Various Artists - DREAMBOX_1 (10x Cassette Box Set)

Rubin Farr

This is cool to discuss, thanks for reading my ramblings and coming back with measured and much more comprehensible responses!

I hate arguments, especially when - as you say - we're pretty much on the same page! 

You're right about not doing a re-run of this Dreambox, especially as there have been two pretty decent sized runs and it's still in print some time after release, and also obviously a collectors item in itself. It was an experiment in itself, I believe, and having read a few comments from people complaining about price inaccessibility, HKE is definitely considering smaller boxes in the future - which, again, is a great way to run a label, listening to customer feedback. There were quite a few people on Facebook and Twitter making joint purchases and sharing out the tapes depending on which they wanted to, which is pretty cool. 

I'm not sure how much that Rick Smith CD was at the exhibition itself, but supposedly the price from the website was due to the catalogue being a short run, high quality book thing. If you're after that kind of thing then you expect to pay a high amount, but as it was the only way to get the music it annoys me. Some fans pointed out that the music was made for the exhibition, so getting the catalogue with high-res images was the complete experience, which I would have accepted if it weren't for the fact that several of the tracks had been played on Underworld's radio broadcasts over the previous ten years, so the music obviously wasn't tied to the exhibition in the slightest. Then again, Underworld have done a few things like this - most recently 'Slow Slippy' from the Trainspotting 2 soundtrack, which was literally just a slowed down version of Born Slippy. The only way to get the full length edition was on a 12" - again no download - for £17.99. Bit of a piss take.

Tapes - yeah, I get what you mean. I suppose a lot of it comes from when you got into experimental tapes. There's obviously been a bigger resurgence in the last five years, but a lot of stuff, particularly around the noise scene, never really stopped. I was buying tapes in the 00s so I don't really associate them with being something just from the last few years. But you're right, they're definitely a niche thing - the tape scene has always been a lot bigger in the US for a start - but in terms of financial elitism they used to, at least, be very much the opposite, which is what I liked about them.

I'm not sure how much that Rick Smith CD was at the exhibition itself, but supposedly the price from the website was due to the catalogue being a short run, high quality book thing. If you're after that kind of thing then you expect to pay a high amount, but as it was the only way to get the music it annoys me. Some fans pointed out that the music was made for the exhibition, so getting the catalogue with high-res images was the complete experience, which I would have accepted if it weren't for the fact that several of the tracks had been played on Underworld's radio broadcasts over the previous ten years, so the music obviously wasn't tied to the exhibition in the slightest. Then again, Underworld have done a few things like this - most recently 'Slow Slippy' from the Trainspotting 2 soundtrack, which was literally just a slowed down version of Born Slippy. The only way to get the full length edition was on a 12" - again no download - for £17.99. Bit of a piss take.

You realise that Rick Smith CD is available on it's own from the Underworld shop for £8? I couldn't tell if you've already bought it or not. I also noticed that supposedly limited Slow Slippy 12" is still available

[end of thread derail]

Ha no, I hadn't noticed that. It must have been added reasonably recently. That's very good news, I'll have to grab that. Although probably a bit of a kick in the balls for anyone who paid out £60 back in the day...

Yes, I think they repressed Slow Slippy because the first edition sold out. Looks like this one is cheaper too. I'm definitely not buying that though, it's fucking awful.

Well it's been there for a few months at least as I've been tempted to get for a while but Underworld aren't what they once were. I nearly bought that Slow Slippy 12" when it was announced, until I heard the track, no wonder they didn't have any samples up.

I've actually heard the album, it's very much on the ambient/experimental end of things, but I've always enjoyed Underworld's quiet moments so I do like it. On the whole, Barking is the only album of theirs I don't like, a couple of songs aside, so I try to keep up to date with them. But yes, Slow Slippy might make sense in context of the film, but as an a-side... no.

Archived