IGNORED

Installer

If this indeed your first track then *hot damn* you're definitely heading in the right direction man !]My only criticism is probably the synth coming in around the one minute mark till 1.30ish, pitch wise, is kinda discordant ... Apart from that, you've bloody well got it sir !

If this indeed your first track then *hot damn* you're definitely heading in the right direction man !]My only criticism is probably the synth coming in around the one minute mark till 1.30ish, pitch wise, is kinda discordant ... Apart from that, you've bloody well got it sir !

Is it really your first track ever? That's absolutely amazing for your first track

]My only criticism is probably the synth coming in around the one minute mark till 1.30ish, pitch wise, is kinda discordant ... 

Disagree

Fuck haha, wasn't expecting compliments. Nice one folks!

and yeah I gotta be honest, I'm not fully satisfied with that synth. I wanted that section to sound super full but never got it right. I feel it needs something bigger but more subtle, if that makes sense?

Also, I'll rephrase: it's my first completed track. I've been doing a lot of pottering about these past few months but never finished anything til now :)

yeah man just keep going! how long did it take you install to export? 

as in how long did it take me to get to this point? erm, well I installed the software last year and fucked about with it for a bit, just making noises, but picked it up again a couple of months ago to make 'real tracks' lol

Yeah you're hitting the ground running for sure. My first track has only been played for a handful of people and it certainly has nowhere near this 'polish'... What are you using? Liking the variety in the arrangement, bringing in new ideas to keep things interesting, keep honing that aspect so the tracks don't grow dull and/or predictable!

Yeah you're hitting the ground running for sure. My first track has only been played for a handful of people and it certainly has nowhere near this 'polish'... What are you using? Liking the variety in the arrangement, bringing in new ideas to keep things interesting, keep honing that aspect so the tracks don't grow dull and/or predictable!

Thankyou my dude

Currently using Reason 5. I don't know if that's a good or bad thing, but eventually I'd like to move onto something better, and then if it gets more serious, I'd definitely be interested in using some analog gear

Thankyou my dude

Currently using Reason 5. I don't know if that's a good or bad thing, but eventually I'd like to move onto something better, and then if it gets more serious, I'd definitely be interested in using some analog gear

Don't worry about moving into something 'better' so much as focus on getting absolutely everything you can out of what you have already. I find newbies get stuck in a rut of expanding their music making options without really learning in the ins and outs of what they already have. It usually results the person becoming overwhelmed and, ultimately, apathetic. Focus on the tunes!

Very nice for your first track... this is better than anything I've made in at least 5 years! 

Respect for carrying the track nicely without relying much on effects at all. But there are a couple sounds in here that (and I kind of hate to suggest this!) just a little delay or a little more treble presence. That synth around the :45 mark in particular rolls off just a bit too much for me. Seriously, though, I'm only nitpicking this because it's pretty damn good for a first track.

Keep up the good work and I echo Goiter above on sticking to your guns and not bringing in new gear for now... but also don't let yourself get too comfortable with what you're doing... make Reason earn its keep ;)

Thankyou my dude

Reason is fine except you have to pay for rack extensions but that's not the biggest deal in the world. Definitely worth upgrading to the current version when you have the cash. It's only like 150 bucks or something.

Excellent track, top notch arrangement & some technical flourishes that don't sound first timer at all. Maybe it is the snot in my ears atm, but I wouldn't mind a wider stereo field, placing the different sounds in their own space, less centered. Other than that, keep on rocking with Reason. In the future you can always render out the different tracks to .wav for further abuse in a more traditional daw, so you could play around with vst(i)'s, re-sample / re-arrange etc.  

Thank you everyone for the kind words and advice, definitely motivating me to get my shit together!

Excellent track, top notch arrangement & some technical flourishes that don't sound first timer at all. Maybe it is the snot in my ears atm, but I wouldn't mind a wider stereo field, placing the different sounds in their own space, less centered. Other than that, keep on rocking with Reason. In the future you can always render out the different tracks to .wav for further abuse in a more traditional daw, so you could play around with vst(i)'s, re-sample / re-arrange etc.  

Good call. I think literally everything in the track is centred which explains it haha

Another question... What's the best way to make my track louder/beefier without it clipping? Is it all down to final EQ-ing?

Another question... What's the best way to make my track louder/beefier without it clipping? Is it all down to final EQ-ing?

You can use a little bit of compression which makes the quieter parts of your track louder while leaving the louder parts at their volume, that can give some more loudness (there is single band compression which treats the track as a whole and multiband compression which seperates the track into a number of frequency bands and compresses them seperately with different settings). Also you can use a tiny bit of saturation/distortion to add some more fullness. In some DAWs there is a Maximizer Plug-In which can help make the sound fatter but it's very intransparent what exactly it does (I think it's an automated combination of multiband compression, saturation and limiting). I wouldn't EQ so much for the mastering but rather mix it in a way that no or little EQing is necessary

songwriting and programming wise it sounds very good and definitely doesn't sound like a first track to me. mix wise it is very central and i'd definitely look at panning some of those elements a little wider.

Thank you dudes! I was always tempted to extend that funk lead haha

You can use a little bit of compression which makes the quieter parts of your track louder while leaving the louder parts at their volume, that can give some more loudness (there is single band compression which treats the track as a whole and multiband compression which seperates the track into a number of frequency bands and compresses them seperately with different settings). Also you can use a tiny bit of saturation/distortion to add some more fullness. In some DAWs there is a Maximizer Plug-In which can help make the sound fatter but it's very intransparent what exactly it does (I think it's an automated combination of multiband compression, saturation and limiting). I wouldn't EQ so much for the mastering but rather mix it in a way that no or little EQing is necessary

I took your advice and started fiddling around with compression. Definitely a step in the right direction! It does sound a bit disorientating at times, and some synths were being drowned out, but it was only a quick single band jobby. I just need to check out some resources and get practicing. Maybe multiband will allow me to have more control over the track.

I also followed up on Djeroek and QQQ's comments and 'stereo-ised' everything. The drums are sounding so much better!

You posted this track on your soundcloud 4 years ago:

https://soundcloud.com/technobisto/the-boss

So it's definitely not your first track (when is a track ever finished?)

But claiming that was definitely a well working method to get your track some attention

:emotawesomepm9:

edit: You wrote you made it in 2009 so it's 7 years old, not 4

You posted this track on your soundcloud 4 years ago:

https://soundcloud.com/technobisto/the-boss

So it's definitely not your first track (when is a track ever finished?)

But claiming that was definitely a well working method to get your track some attention

:emotawesomepm9:

edit: You wrote you made it in 2009 so it's 7 years old, not 4

Youve-just-been-qbbked.jpg

Archived