IGNORED

Bandcamp article on "half time" drum n bass

Rubin Farr

A lot of this sounds like stuff Vibert, Burial or Boxcutter were doing 10-15 years ago, before the onset of brostep.  Is there any real difference anymore?  It also ignores Akkord, who I think of as one of the top bands around producing those slow dubby grime type groove based tracks.  HTDNB sounds like a marketing term designed to attract the youth of today.  Damn kids!  lol

https://daily.bandcamp.com/2017/05/11/best-halftime-drum-bass-list/

This was called drumstep 10 years ago, neurohop has also been used. I'm pretty sure there's some overlap with autonomic/minimal DNB. I'm surprised there's no mention of Kursa. Half-time DNB just sounds dumb, obviously trying to make it sound like it's something new.

Some of these tracks are alright. Don't really hear any burial/vibert vibes in there though.

Just glancing at it I think the main technical difference (besides all the scene context - sometimes genres are arbitrarily different because of the time and place they emerge) is the BPM. Dubstep was a 70 / 140 BPM, in fact early on most dubplates were 138-142 BPM. Future garage / bass went down to 130s and some techno / dubstep crossover was a bit more diverse BPM-wise but in general 140 BPM was the basis.

Also dubstep came out of 2-step / UK garage, not the d'n'b scene directly, although it was informed by it. Coki and Mala were Metalheadz fans and the DJ Zinc ‎song 138 Trek was a early proto-dubstep release.

Just glancing at it I think the main technical difference (besides all the scene context - sometimes genres are arbitrarily different because of the time and place they emerge) is the BPM. Dubstep was a 70 / 140 BPM, in fact early on most dubplates were 138-142 BPM. Future garage / bass went down to 130s and some techno / dubstep crossover was a bit more diverse BPM-wise but in general 140 BPM was the basis.

Also dubstep came out of 2-step / UK garage, not the d'n'b scene directly, although it was informed by it. Coki and Mala were Metalheadz fans and the DJ Zinc ‎song 138 Trek was a early proto-dubstep release.

Was Horror Show the first ever half step track btw? I remember someone from dubstepforums saying it was some other unreleased Loefah dubplate from 2004 but I completely forgot which one, Encona maybe?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jDtPjPHtD3s

Dnb "pulse" and production techniques mixed with modern trap/witch house samples. Some of it sounds like the wonky hip hop thing that was happening like 6 years ago.

I've actually used "half time drum n bass" without hearing the term before (to refer to the "same genre") cuz it's really what it is, but indeed, this is an extension of drumstep (aaand of course original dubstep).  I'm glad this is more mainstream now...  Cuz I really liked the vibe of it 5+ years ago, and I still like it.  Solid examples on that random hype train bandwagon article.

It's a pretty legit genre.

mu_mikep_2legit.jpg

Archived